New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: An open and shut case.  (Read 1493 times)

Offline FourWheelCoach

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
An open and shut case.
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »
Having got my test track built and learned some lessons about tracklaying I thought to move on to building a proper model. I have had many ideas over the years, some rather extensive but generally getting smaller. 
My main plan is a coffee table layout but that's on hold for the moment. I do have the table though.  I have been inspired by the box file layouts and have been considering some possible themes including a Hospital railway,  canal wharf and a seaside pier.
My test track has confirmed that an 0-6-0 just can't negotiate the curves at this size so all would rely on an 0-4-0 or tram/tram loco. I don't have one but there seem to be some suitable chassis from Kato, World Craft and N Drive.

Not to be deterred I was prompted by the prospect of having to.work away to see what could be done that would be portable. I remembered an old glazed display case I acquired a few years ago with the intention of running something in it. It is too tight for an 0-6-0 again but now considering the tram loco idea I dug it out.  It is low so not much prospect of dramatic terrain!

I reckon a four wheel loco will go round a loop in it so I sketched up a plan for a standard gauge line within a slate quarry This requires a small turntable so I have started to make one.

I may change the theme from slate to something else when I have the track down and the turntable working. We shall see how it looks.

Anyway here are a couple of pics.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:50:02 AM by FourWheelCoach »

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Re: An open and shut case.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »
 :greatpicturessign: Looks good!
The old Minitrix Dock Tank will get around 6" radius curves as will the Farish J94.
Also if you use only Peco wagons you won't get buffer locking either.  :)
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline FourWheelCoach

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 01:02:24 PM »
:greatpicturessign: Looks good!
The old Minitrix Dock Tank will get around 6" radius curves as will the Farish J94.
Also if you use only Peco wagons you won't get buffer locking either.  :)
Interesting about the J94. I have a Bachmann-Farish Jinty and that won't. It's ok down to about 7 1/2" but any tighter and it starts derailing the front axle on Peco Code55. Haven't tried it on Code 80.

I am using some Code 80 for this case model as I happen to have some and it goes into tight radii better than the Code 55. The track should be fairly well buried with only the rails showing so I think I can get away with it visually.

Here are some real examples of similar environments, narrow and standard.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:06:36 PM by FourWheelCoach »

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
The Jinty's wheelbase is too long for 6" radius, as you've found out. I would imagine that the Farish class 08 will go round as it has a similar wheelbase to the J94. Also, though I've not tested it, the Dapol Terrier.
Code 80 seems to have more 'flex' than code 55 and will be perfectly ok if you're burying the track!  :laugh:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline FourWheelCoach

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
Yes, I got the track loop laid and thought I might as well test for power with the Jinty.  To my surprise it shot right round the circuit albeit with the front axle running out of gauge!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £130.00
Above Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
236% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything