!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The hills and the valleys.  (Read 6859 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The hills and the valleys.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2016, 04:58:17 AM »
Just thinking as I sit here, my loco fleet now comprises: 08, 22, 25, 37, 52 and a 3 car DMU.

Quite respectable methinks. Also, from my research, quite appropriate for my era and location. A Hymek and, possibly, a Class 47 would be nice but they would be for the future.

Must think about more rolling stock. Need 2 more Mk1s to make my ideal 4 coach train, coal wagons to add to the 5 I already have plus general goods wagons.

Oh yeah, and the layout to run them all on! :confused1:

And my thread is now on it's 3rd page  :bounce: Not a plan or pic in sight though  :(

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:07:52 AM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 05:09:57 AM »
As the night drags wearily on I find myself pondering such philosophical profundities as, "Will my Western arrive in the post today?"  :scowl:

I remember Hornby's maroon 'Western Courier' model that was available in the early '80s. Always liked it especially the way the 1st and 3rd wheels of each bogie were uncovered. Got to briefly borrow one from a friend to run on my OO gauge layout which I used to have in my bedroom.

Soon I will have my very own. It will be my first Dapol loco. Anyone got experience of these beasts? Do they run as good as they look?

They can suffer from the Dapol affliction of smoke escaping from the electrickery bits, which is what happened to mine within minutes of giving it its first test run, though after a warranty repair trip halfway around the world it's working now. Not a bad runner by any means. It's definitely one of the Very Nice Locos I don't leave out on the layout. Very pleasurable to look at.

Here it is earlier today (after I finally got round to installing the couplings):

western-japan by Rail Squid, on Flickr
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 05:30:13 AM »
MY FIRST PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh3:

Thanks Railsquid.

Hope mine is NOT a smoker.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »
Well done Chris, pleased the postie brought your loco, mine didn't arrive, today maybe. I like Kernow people and the shop is packed with tempting goodies but sadly I find that they are not that competitive on prices and I can usually find far cheaper elsewhere. The big two always have deals or bargains usually a little obscure to find but saves a lot. Sometimes even free postage. I think it is time to post some pictures of your locomotives, get started and show us.

Just to tease Mick after breakfast Desert Sand is coming out of Nelevator for a photo call.
Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from Geominster this is the new project.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

The original layout progress here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18319.msg184399#msg184399

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »
Quite respectable methinks. Also, from my research, quite appropriate for my era and location. A Hymek and, possibly, a Class 47 would be nice but they would be for the future.

Totally agree! A 'Hymek' would be an essential loco for a South Wales setting any time during the early 1970s, but especially up to about 1973 at which point the majority had been withdrawn (a few lingered on until 1975).

As far as Class 47s go, these were virtually ubiquitous on BR during the 1970s. They were nicknamed "Duffs" because they seemed to be so boring and a waste of camera film, but BR blue Class 47s are ridiculously rare on layouts for some reason. Given your time frame, a dirty blue 47 with pre-TOPS or TOPS numbering and headcode numbers rather than domino dots would be absolutely spot on.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 08:16:13 AM »
I think it is time to post some pictures of your locomotives, get started and show us.

Good idea George. Let me get my night shifts out the way (tonight's my last one) and I will take some pics  :thumbsup:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
Given your time frame, a dirty blue 47 with pre-TOPS or TOPS numbering and headcode numbers rather than domino dots would be absolutely spot on.

Thanks for that Nemo. All my locos will have TOPS numbers but I really do need pre-TOPS although I thought the TOPS system was devised in the late '60s? I would like to be able to change the numbers but fear not being able to exactly match the blue when I paint over the originals. Might ruin things.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »
Given your time frame, a dirty blue 47 with pre-TOPS or TOPS numbering and headcode numbers rather than domino dots would be absolutely spot on.

Thanks for that Nemo. All my locos will have TOPS numbers but I really do need pre-TOPS although I thought the TOPS system was devised in the late '60s? I would like to be able to change the numbers but fear not being able to exactly match the blue when I paint over the originals. Might ruin things.

The TOPS renumbering begins in earnest in 1973, but for whatever reason the 1966-1973 rail blue era is underrepresented by the model manufacturers. Or at least, it is so far as diesel electrics are concerned! Pre-TOPS blue diesel-hydraulics are widely sold. Odd really, but I guess the pre-TOPS blue era just isn't that popular unless you're modelling WR diesel-hydraulics.

Renumbering isn't that difficult. You can sometimes rub existing numbers off using cocktail sticks, but sometimes not. Before I got more confident about doing the job myself, Steve at Grimy Times took care of renumbering alongside his excellent weathering service. Not expensive and the results were invariably excellent. So that's one option.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »
I am selling Western Firebrand maroon but no-one us getting my Desert Sand, not even Mick. :wave:

Drat and double drat, George. How about if I sign up to Farcebook? That's a massive sacrifice for me!!!

A reminder to Mick  :D  I know how far he would go to get one. But not this one.  :P

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »
A stunner George. I was always taught that gloating is exceptionally gouch.  :thumbsdown:

Let's face it - your layout is a great way to showcase your trains. And so you should! :laughabovepost:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
Stab me vitals, George!
That's 3 times this morning I've seen that pic in various posts, you naughty man.

Chris - I'm so glad I spent some of your money as I'd have hated for you to miss that bargain :D
As such, I'm happy to take the blame.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
Newportnobby you are a VERY RUDE MAN! But I am in your debt. Thanks mate - I don't have to remortgage my house now. :bounce:

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »
Newportnobby you are a VERY RUDE MAN! But I am in your debt. Thanks mate - I don't have to remortgage my house now. :bounce:

Rude!!!!!!  ?????? NN is never rude, he has a wicked sense of humour and once he gets going ........ well you will find out.  :laugh3:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
I didn't mean rude as in vulgar. More of a Caribean thing like naughty. Had some friends from those parts a while back. I didn't mean to cast aspertions. NN is a fine gent and he has just saved me 50.00 for which I am very grateful. :beers:

Offline georgehgv

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2016, 07:58:12 PM »
Where has Mick gone, he is usually very quick to reply?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here