New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hornby Magazine Yearbook 8, 2016, By Editor: Mike Wild Review  (Read 2879 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Hornby Magazine Yearbook 8, 2016, By Editor: Mike Wild Review
« on: February 18, 2016, 12:02:40 AM »
Hornby Magazine Yearbook 8, 2016, By Multiple authors, Editor: Mike Wild

Book Review: It is no secret on this forum that Railway Modeller magazine has been part of Bealman's life for most of it, having a collection dating back to the late 1950's.

While I only take the odd issue these days, I have purchased their annual over the past 5 or so issues. However, when it turned up in the newsagents here in Australia recently, a cursory glance through it showed the N gauge content to be almost ziltch, so I didn't buy it.

Although the same newsagent stocks Hornby Magazine, I never ever bother looking at it, for obvious reasons. However on page 18 of the NGS Journal 1/16, there is a piece about their 2016 Yearbook, stating that it has a high N Gauge content.

It turned up at my newsagents yesterday, and sure enough, it does! So this year, bye bye RM Annual, hello Hornby!

The project layout running right through the book/mag is an N scale model of a power station, something you don't often see. It is DCC controlled, and fully scenic. There are "How to" instructions for the complete build. I did find it odd, though, that they opted to use Peco Code 80 rail, and am not 100% conviniced of the reasons they give. Also, it is built on a 6' x 4' baseboard, which I feel is a hangover from the 00 days.

Also in the book/mag is a good article about N gauge and what is available.

Of the non - N gauge stuff, it is all interesting and also applicable. Ground cover, maintenance and lighting techniques are all scale-generic. The article showing express passenger train formations is great, and once again, relevant to N.

The photographs of classic layouts and articles on prototype locomotives are also excellent.

The review section is mostly Hornby 00 products, of course, but to be expected.

Overall, definitely worth acquiring, although at A$14.95, I thought it just a tad expensive.

Score: 4
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:08:25 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
Re: Hornby Magazine Yearbook 8, 2016, By Editor: Mike Wild Review
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:13:34 AM »
Thanks for the review :)

I must admit to not being much of a fan of HM most of the time ( they do have the odd good bit sometimes) so I know not to be tempted off the RM way now thank you :)

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:11:15 AM »
Hornby magazine is not actually connected to Hornby Model Railways, it is produced by Key Publishing.
I find the magazine is ok and I like the (annual) listing of planned products in this months issue. The bit I don't like is that issues March to September to feel rather like little more than an advert for their exhibition.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:31:25 AM by Chris m »

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »
I just bought the Yearbook because of it's content.

Never having looked at the mag itself, I cannot provide further comment.

I do have a question, however.... if the mag is not connected with Hornby, why is it named so?

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »
I do have a question, however.... if the mag is not connected with Hornby, why is it named so?
IIRC, it was started by (or at least, in conjunction with) Hornby, before being sold off as "not core business" - which a magazine isn't, for a model company !  They keep the name for continuity and to give it "profile" in the general public's eye - "Oh look, Hornby do a magazine !"  ::)

[Edit]
A little digging shows the "in conjunction with" to be the right part - Hornby provided a high level of support, it seems (and no, I don't know what...); originally an Ian Allen magazine, one of a bunch sold to Key.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:21:45 AM by MikeDunn »

Offline Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:26:06 AM »
Ian Allan has an interesting history for model railway magazines.

They started Railway Modeller and then sold it off to Peco.

They then aquired Model Railway Constructor (MRC) when they purchased Railway World and published that until they closed it in 1987.

In the 2000's they decided it was time to re-enter the market and rather than re-launch MRC - which many hobbyists hadn't heard of since it was 20 years ago that it had closed looked for a new title. THey approached Hornby to use their name as Hornby was the one thing that everyone, especially prospective and new modellers, associated with model railways. Other than a licence to use the name there was no formal tie-in to Hornby.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »
That is interesting.

I remember MRC... in fact, I think I've still got the odd issue somewhere. It used to have a couple of coloured "rough" paper pages inbetween the glossy black and white ones during the 1960s, as I recall.

Offline Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
And of course they then sold Hornby Mag to Key Publishing after a few years.

Apropos of nothing in particular, I built 'Hatton Parkway' as an early HM project layout - a contemporary N gauge job to try and put an end to the belief that it was all OO steam.

Offline DELETED

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »
I have to say that being an non-book (novel) reader apart from works manuals I regularly buy magazines of interest each month and "HORBNY" mag has now become my favourite and it's probably my mag of choice first before any others.

.  I did not know it wasn't directly related to Hornby but it's had, as long as I've collected over the past few years a healthy enough occurence of N gauge
. I used to subscribe to N gauge specific journals and didn't like them becaue it seemed too narrow minded for my liking.  I personally think the big mags do better, if I see something in 0 or 00 it gets me thinking how to do in N
.  Hornby Mag often enough has N gauge articles anyway
.  Hornby mag has really good how to's and step-by-step guides often by a really good N gauge author.  Doesn't realy matter if it's in a different scale.  It has also has had some really excellent beginners info -dc vs dcc and differences n scales etc etc etc etc

...I guess I'm a bit biased towards it but each to their own I guess but classic not to judge by the front cover.  Come turn of each month I always seem to end up buying this first, I find it a good read, well balanced.  I initially try to avoid other rail mags with their sealed plastic bags but that's another issue.

Rich
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 12:35:59 AM by RST »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »
I've tried many magazines over the years and have to say they are all pretty similar.
However, I've now settled on Hornby (which I get on subscription). I think what sets it apart are the real railway titbits each month (not just modelling) and it seems, to me, to also have a more varied content than many of the others.
As ever though, shame the free gifts are always 'orribly 'oversized though !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:15:27 AM »
I must admit that the "real" articles in forementioned publication are excellent.

The pieces on 4-6-0s and class 40 diesels are worth the publication for that alone.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:27:29 AM by Bealman »

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:16:59 AM »
I remember MRC and always rated it for it's overall content. A fairly regular contributor to magazines around this time was a chap called IIRC, E.R. Francis. He used to make 4mm coaches from scratch back in the day. Marvellous scratchbuilding.

These days I am picky as to buying magazines. I like to have a quick flick through in Smith's as hordes of others do with their magazines of interest.
When they are wrapped in polythene these days I don't even consider them. Experience has shown me that when they are wrapped up with a so-called guide, or "orribly oversize" freebie building, then the actual magazine content is likely to be poor.

For me it's either R.M or Hornby mag. I get plenty from the NGS journal but would prefer it in a larger format, perhaps double it's current size which could/would mean less pages.

Offline Buffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
Bealman, I can't give you a Thank You for reviewing the Hornby Yearbook 2016, but I've just bought one and it does look really interesting, so  :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything