!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 48126 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #780 on: March 24, 2020, 06:56:22 AM »
Nice shot of the train there Keith, hope Janey had a lovely visit and took lots of tales back to Poppingham :)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #781 on: March 25, 2020, 04:21:59 PM »
A grey day

in reality not the case at all. Super day down here today, wall to wall spring sunshine.  8)

Meanwhile on Sonmel the tarmac gang have been in and laid the road leading to the factory.

I'm currently unsure about "floating foundation syndrome" on the factory. There are some noticeable gaps where the underlying base is not completely flat. I don't want to fix the structure down permanently so I'm contemplating laying a strip foundation in modelling clay. It will be similar to, but lower than, the base along the bottom of the fencing. The factory will then sit on top of that. Just concerned that this will raise the factory too high.  :hmmm:

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #782 on: March 25, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »
Instead of laying a flat base for it (which will never usually be or stay flat forever) have you considered putting something around the building base so it fits into a very shallow rectangular hole. A pavement around it might be sufficient perhaps ? That will keep the building from flying and also make it easier to remove/replace in the right spot.

If you look at real buildings it is usual to see the building flat and the ground up against it slightly off so embedding them a shade usually looks right.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #783 on: March 25, 2020, 05:22:22 PM »
Keith.

I agree with Alan (EP) something around the base would work well.
Many industrial buildings would have a walkway around them which might be higher than a road to protect people from vehicles parking right up to the wall.
Coffee stirrers would , I think, work well.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #784 on: March 26, 2020, 07:14:56 AM »
Keith

I wonder if you can cut out a hole in your base right round the base of your factory building, put something perfectly flat in it, and run your modelling clay up to the edge of the flat base? The edges of the flat base could be painted a concrete colour. It seems to me that real buildings such as your factory often have a concrete foundation that just shows below the building above it.

Webbo

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #785 on: March 26, 2020, 07:29:27 AM »
Alan, Martin & Webbo, many thanks for your excellent suggestions.  :thumbsup:

I think that it will be very difficult to cut into the “ground” around the building. This is made from a sheet of plasticard that I laid in an attempt to create a flat platform. In hindsight I should have used thicker plasticard.  :doh:

However, creating a concrete type foundation or surrounding walkway look to be cunning plans. I feel some experimental prototypes coming on...

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #786 on: March 26, 2020, 07:56:14 AM »
I think a paved walkway would work well.  You could create a bed for the building somewhat larger than the footprint of the building out of, say, 1mm card and then add printed paving to the area around the building.  Alternatively, you could simply add strips of card along each side of the building, again adorned with slabs.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #787 on: March 26, 2020, 08:12:55 AM »
Looking good Keith ... what I did with the derelict signal box at Dunning was to make a bed of DAS clay and then press the building into it, remove the building and let the clay dry so you have a footprint to set the building into ... the edges of the clay can be blended into roadway and can represent the type of water run off arrangement a lot of modern build warehouses have

or.... in these times of austerity, maybe building maintenance has been cut back and the weeds have taken a hold along the base of the building, leaving you only the large doorway to close the gap around! 

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #788 on: March 26, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
Solid Foundations

Thank you Andrew. the modelling clay was the approach I was considering using until the helpful input from the other guys. After some serious (?) thinking it's what I have attempted.

Here is the first part of the second attempt. (The first attempt was shall we say, not very successful. I tried to create all four sides foundations in one go - nightmare in a hot man cave)!

So far I have only added foundations along the two long sides. When that clay has set I will add the two short sides. The modelling clay does not adhere to the plastic so when complete I will glue the foundations to the base which will allow me to remove the factory when required. I suspect that I will add some tacky wax to the bottom of the factory to hold it in place.

Now that the building is higher I will need to add access ramps for the doorways. Hopefully these can be made from modelling clay as well.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #789 on: March 26, 2020, 08:47:15 PM »
That is looking great Keith  :beers:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #790 on: March 27, 2020, 08:02:23 AM »

Thank you. Hopefully it will dry successfully and I can complete the short sides and ramps to the same standard.  :-\  There’s always weeds and general factory clutter to hide any substandard bits.  :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #791 on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:36 AM »

Seconded!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #792 on: March 28, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
Second Foundation*

The first part of the second attempt casting just the two long sides was 50% successful. The front foundation was ok, the rear foundation not successful at all.

However, the concept seemed to work ok, so I pressed on casting the two short side foundations. These both worked, so that makes the second part of the second attempt (are you keeping up?  :confused1:) a success too.

I've glued the foundation strips to the base and all seems to be secure. The marks on the front are not cracks, but pencil marks indicating where I need to create an access ramp. What is also encouraging is that the factory slots quite firmly into the grooves in the foundations. This could mean that tacky wax will not be required to anchor the factory onto the foundations.

Lots of fine detail to be sorted and the factory will need a new paint job (and a bit of repair, too much man-handling), but pleased with progress so far.

*Especially for readers of Isaac Asimov

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #793 on: March 28, 2020, 09:24:51 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
   Excellent progress keith,  nice problem solving  :thumbsup:
      :hmmm:  Issac who ?
     take care regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00