!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 38682 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #570 on: June 17, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
Hi Keith, whilst there is no reason why beer could not also be shipped in ISO containers (like those very nice P&O ones, Maersk bought P&O's container shipping operations) what I meant was the tanktainers, like this one:

http://www.enricgroup.com/uploadfile/2016517161623435.jpg

Or this:

https://www.vanhool.be/uploads/models/image_normal/82/levensmiddelen-1.jpg?t=1544111158

You can buy some N Gauge models and relivery them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202551830941

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #571 on: June 17, 2019, 07:29:24 PM »
The precise position of Sonmel in space and time reminds me somewhat of the situation of Takahachikawa (Japanese layout) which is linked to Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands and runs trains of many periods including, sometimes, 'through' trains from England's West Country.

The phenomenon of Takahachikawa has sometimes been explained by the existence of an infamous 'transdimensional' box which is, however, is not a unique phenomenon to Japan. One exists at Cant Cove. It is believed to have been a spare from the TARDIS donated by Susan, Doctor Who's granddaughter. Among its many amazing qualities is that, just like the TARDIS, its outside is infinitely smaller than its interior enabling it to house trains from different times and places! 8-)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 07:53:01 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #572 on: June 18, 2019, 07:14:55 AM »
… since Sonmel is a private island within an unspecified time zone both geographically and chronologically I can get away with most things.  :)

An excellent wheeze, Keith.  I think that freelance modelling is a terrific idea.  Our US chums seem to be more inclined in that direction than we are nowadays.

I recall, years ago, reading about a freelance layout in the Model Railway Constructor.  If I remember correctly, it was called 'SIOG' and was set in an island near to Great Britain with its place names largely in old English.  It made a big impression on my young imagination.

Please keep these excellent posts coming...

Best wishes.

John

Thank you John. I’ve not come across the term “freelance modelling” before. However, it describes very concisely what I am up to!   :thankyousign:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #573 on: June 18, 2019, 07:22:05 AM »
Hi Keith, whilst there is no reason why beer could not also be shipped in ISO containers (like those very nice P&O ones, Maersk bought P&O's container shipping operations) what I meant was the tanktainers, like this one:

http://www.enricgroup.com/uploadfile/2016517161623435.jpg

Or this:

https://www.vanhool.be/uploads/models/image_normal/82/levensmiddelen-1.jpg?t=1544111158

You can buy some N Gauge models and relivery them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202551830941

I wondered if that was the type of container you were referring to. I don’t currently have any of those (and at $30 plus for two) I won’t be getting any soon! I’ll keep an eye out for cheap offers!

I’ve had the standard P&O shipping containers for some time. They need some work, one of the containers is loose and I have a missing spring in one coupling.  :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #574 on: June 18, 2019, 07:56:59 AM »
Hi Keith, I wouldn't worry about not having any tanktainers, your ISO containers and German vans should be enough to transport a very great quantity of German biers. Coupling springs are available on eBay.

It may well be possible to buy those Japanese tanktainers cheaper direct from one of the Japanese retailers.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #575 on: June 19, 2019, 07:41:11 AM »
Thanks Chris. The Kato tanktainers are slightly cheaper from some of the uk retailers. I will keep an eye out for special offers. I’m cautious when buying direct from Japan. UK customs add VAT (fair enough) and a handling charge (hmmm!) for anything declared to be worth more than £20. The last time I bought direct from Japan the seller added postage costs to the declared value which pushed the value over £20!
I might even see if I can build my own with some plastistrut.  :hmmm:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #576 on: June 19, 2019, 09:39:21 PM »
There is a forum member (his layout is Takahachikawa) who lives in Japan and might be able to advise you, Keith.

If you go to Port Regleun IV - A new hope, you'll see Sonmel being mentioned. 8-)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:40:36 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #577 on: June 21, 2019, 11:51:12 AM »
Festival Update

The German bier festival was going exceptionally well. Everyone was having a great time.

The Head of the Sonmel Tourist Board (STB) was addressing a small gathering of staff. “A perfect economic balance. Beer is flowing in one direction and much needed tourist money is flowing in the opposite direction. Of course, such success has presented a few problems, but that is to be expected.”

“You’re telling me,” muttered Penelope Farthing, temporarily appointed to co-ordinating transport for the festival revellers. “However,” she said in a louder voice, “I have managed to solve one problem relating to rail travel. I have located, and already imported, a new (old) loco to help with our shortage of motive power. It’s a lovely Western, The Musketeer. Last seen (as a Train Waiting) working in the Borders region of Scotland I believe. It’s in great condition and a good reliable runner. I snapped these pictures of it heading a train full of festival goers, comfortably accommodated in some lovely Pullmans. Of course this has the additional benefit of a further revenue stream from all of those meals on board.”

“Great, with all of the infrastructure still to be built around the island, we need all of the funds that we can get. On that point we have another spiffing wheeze coming to fruition. You are aware that the new class 316 loco is branded VIAS. It was going to cost a small fortune to re-spray. Well, some wag suggested that VIAS could stand for ‘Very Inebriated At Sonmel’ – just brilliant! So I’ve had these Tee shirts made. And look, so cunning, none of this printing or iron on malarkey, the VIAS logo and slogan are Weaved (sic) into the cotton – pure genius!”

“Moving on, I see that we have a bit of a VIP visiting, a certain Herr Christian Weber representing the German bier brewers. He is accompanied by a very attractive travelling companion called Catala, Spanish I believe. Whilst it is great that he has taken the trouble to visit us I suspect that he has more than one motive in making the rather difficult journey. His beer producers are making money and gaining market exposure as we are too. Based upon how successful our festival has been I suspect that he is keen to secure a deal for a future German Bier festival here. Now I don’t have a problem with that but we need to create some commercial tension to ensure that we both get a mutually beneficial deal in the future. Now, if his companion is Spanish, it would be good to find out why she is travelling with him. Whilst we do that, perhaps it would be great to start some rumours on the Island. ‘This year’s festival is great, and we are keen to continue it for future years. However, we are keen that the idea (and the beer) doesn’t get stale. Perhaps next year it could be a Cerveza Festival?’”   

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #578 on: June 21, 2019, 12:13:51 PM »
How about a Fine Foaming Ale Festival?  That bier stuff is kind of okay-ish, but not a patch on Harvey's*.

Thank you for the photographs, Keith.  I'm glad the 'D1000' is satisfactory and thank you for giving it such a good home.  I'm engaged on a fairly active ante-dieselisation programme in the train set room.  Diesel traction (GWR railcars excepted) is prohibited on Poppingham due to the present weather conditions.

I'm looking forward to a steamy weekend.

Pip-pip.

John

* I must mention that other Fine Foaming Ales are available.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #579 on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
I say Keith,what a splendid looking loco. I must say I'm a tad jealous of the Pullmans running along behind.

D1065 Western Consort has been dipping her little maroon toes in her new surroundings over here in Saxon Street and somewhat provocatively flashing her small yellow ends too.

My budget for this month has been used up in purchasing her and also having to fork out for a new motor for my rather unwell 4 CEP, but I'm enjoying wandering all over the interweb thingy musing over the choice of what to pair with her.

I'd say Ms. Penny Farthing has made a good choice for Sonmel.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #580 on: June 22, 2019, 07:32:24 AM »
Just Faffing around

“Great, things just got even better. The Sonmel Foaming Ale Festival, I can picture the Tee shirts already “I’ve been Fafing around on Sonmel”. This will up the competition between rival breweries even more. I must tell the boss.”

:beers:

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #581 on: June 22, 2019, 07:45:58 AM »
The precise position of Sonmel in space and time reminds me somewhat of the situation of Takahachikawa (Japanese layout) which is linked to Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands and runs trains of many periods including, sometimes, 'through' trains from England's West Country.

The phenomenon of Takahachikawa has sometimes been explained by the existence of an infamous 'transdimensional' box which is, however, is not a unique phenomenon to Japan. One exists at Cant Cove. It is believed to have been a spare from the TARDIS donated by Susan, Doctor Who's granddaughter. Among its many amazing qualities is that, just like the TARDIS, its outside is infinitely smaller than its interior enabling it to house trains from different times and places! 8-)

There is also this whole other bit of the layout which is Berlin in the 1990s. Very confusing for the passengers, but they'll have to live with it.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
Yes, indeed. It is the red-gold metal called in Ancient Greek, orichalcum, which in Rockall is known as evragar, which enables travel between such discontinuities in space and time. Derek had expected a revelation like this! 8-)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:24:01 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
Yes, indeed. It is the red-gold metal called in Ancient Greek, orichalcum, which in Rockall is known as evragar, which enables travel between such discontinuities in space and time. Derek had expected a revelation like this! 8-)

:hellosign: Thanks Chris now we have the answer  :D
       regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #584 on: June 23, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »

:hellosign: Thanks Chris now we have the answer  :D
       regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. The story is on Port Regleun IV - A new hope! 8-)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £61.00
Below Goal: £39.00
Site Currency: GBP
61% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything