!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 45542 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2018, 09:05:46 PM »
Mrs keithbythe sea's sieve looks to be perfect but I think that she will notice if I cut a large whole in it.  :uneasy:

Probably best left well alone or you may find yourself becoming part of the rock face :hmmm: :uneasy:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: June 01, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
 :hellosign: Excellent modelling Keith, the cliff is looking really good.  :thumbsup:
regards Derek

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »
Mrs keithbythe sea's sieve is safe (and therefore so am I)!

I have found two options for the netting. Total outlay of £2 (how do they manufacture, ship half way round the world and make a profit)?

Each one is photographed with a little person to help with the sense of scale...

Option A
A metal sieve.
Mesh size is approximately 1.5mm, so around 9 inches full scale. Bright metal is probably not the right colour, but I can easily spray a suitable rusty metal finish.

Option B
A chip drier (not come across one of those before).
Mesh size is approximately 5mm, so around 2 1/2 feet full scale. Again colour is adaptable although the natural colour is reminiscent of a rope type of finish.

Option C

Use both, depending upon the local rock conditions. Here is an example (using blue tac as a temporary fixative)!

Comments most welcome please. :help:

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »
Option A for me.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
Option A mesh size :thumbsup:

Option A wire size :thumbsdown:

Now, you don't have to answer this, :-[ but might Mrs keithbythe sea have some stockings that'd do? :goggleeyes: :D
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: June 07, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »
might Mrs keithbythe sea have some stockings that'd do?

Good idea. If you could construct a frame and then stretch the stockings, (or tights), across the frame and fasten/glue  ???. And they come in all sorts of colours.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: June 07, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »
might Mrs keithbythe sea have some stockings that'd do?

Good idea. If you could construct a frame and then stretch the stockings, (or tights), across the frame and fasten/glue  ???. And they come in all sorts of colours.

OK, confession time. In the past I have bought my own tights and stockings. :-[

Stretched over a frame - I used an old tennis racket - and sprayed with varnish. Once you get the knack you'll be able to cut out sheets that have just the right degree of stiffness/flex to best suit your use. Have used this technique to create mesh seating for a Hercules, cargo nets, camo-netting, etc.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #353 on: June 07, 2018, 07:39:43 PM »
Hmmmm, I’ll avoid the question relating to Mrs keithbythe sea’s stocking wearing  :-[

However, good idea. I have a supplementary question which I hope will get past the mods. Are we talking standard stockings or fishnets?  :-[ :-[
Sudden panic as image of Nora Batty appears in mind - quick, finish post....

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2018, 08:44:55 PM »
I'd say that anything described as fishnet would be too large a mesh for your use here Keith. So it's off to the shops with you to have a look at available options.

I last used this technique some twenty years ago. No, actually it would have been early to mid eighties. I had to go to high street shops and buy a selection of ladies hosiery, getting some very critical looks for my troubles. :-[ No anonymous internet shopping back then. :D

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #355 on: June 08, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »

However, good idea. I have a supplementary question which I hope will get past the mods. Are we talking standard stockings or fishnets?  :-[ :-[
Sudden panic as image of Nora Batty appears in mind - quick, finish post....

Somehow I miss-read "Nora Batty" as a fellow forum member's username....  :-[ :sorrysign: NN :confusedsign: :helpneededsign:

Offline Takamine

• Awards
« Reply #356 on: June 08, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
Have you considered fly screen netting?

BR

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
Thank you Railgooner for the stockings idea, Option C. I bought some "pop socks", 15 denier in neutral and tried spraying them with varnish whilst stretched over a 5 litre paint tin. Not convinced with the outcome yet, more experimenting to do...

I like the idea of fly screen Takamine, Option D. Still investigating but I have not yet taken the plunge in buying anything, too much choice!

Thanks for the votes for A from Chris (IP) and Dannyboy. I have continued with Option A, sub option I, applying a spray coat of primer. Results are shown below:

I quite like this, but Mrs Keith has come up with a couple of other suggested materials, Options E and F. But more of this later.

I have been distracted by a new shiny object, just delivered today all the way from Japan, in less than a week!

Here it sits in the harbour, (tide is out)!!!!

And here it sits on a "trial sea".

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #358 on: June 13, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »
Thanks, Keith, for the update and photos. The boat and the sea look very good. I'd apply repeated layers of non-yellowing clear varnish on top of the sea and leave a boat hull-shaped depression in the surface when you come to the final sea surface in the harbour. Then don't forget some seagulls! 8-)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #359 on: June 13, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
Thank you Chris.

Yes, having ordered the boat I couldn't wait to play with some test water. As pictured there is only one coat of varnish, I expect that I will need at least half a dozen coats on the real thing. As you say I will mould the sea around the boat hull. However, I have ordered another boat, delivery awaited. There is only room in the harbour for one boat, so I will await delivery of the second boat before deciding which to use.

Ah yes seagulls, on my list of "livestock", along with the mountain goats.  :)

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal