!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 45471 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »
Well, a month since my last progress update. Time flies.

The terraformers have been in again. This will be the last large scale terraform on Sonmel.

What is now my standard technique, card formers for the basic structure with plaster bandage over the top as a shell:

The geology on Sonmel is rather unique (!) with a significant range of rock formations and strata. I wanted to try the plaster and foil method for forming rock faces. Previous trial runs using this method had not been successful for me but I thought I would give it one last go. Plaster applied and foil suitably scrunched I left the foil on the wet plaster for 24 hours (first effort). I think that this has proved successful. What I have found (I formed the rock face in three different sessions) is that:
1. There is an optimal time for stripping the foil
2. Strip early (plaster not fully set) and the result is more texture to the formed rock face (some of the plaster comes away with the foil).
3. Strip late (plaster set rock hard) and the foil comes off in tiny tiny pieces. It then takes ages to remove every last piece of foil.  :veryangry:

On the picture below, left hand side is an "early strip", and the right hand side is an "optimal strip". You might just be able to make out that the LHS is rougher. The "late strip" bit hadn't been formed when I took this photo. It looks like the optimal strip (apart from the gouge marks made in the rock face from extracting the foil!)

Last photo of the entire rock face with base colour coat applied. Now need to get creative with some washes and add greenery etc.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »
That looks pretty impressive to me. How will you guard against rockfalls? Some form of N gauge netting?

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »
When I made Tormouth, I used Wickes Filler over bits of foam packaging material, and I made a ball of tinfoil that I then rolled across the filler making similar but slightly deeper grooves and indentations... found it to be less messy as the filler was a lot thicker than plaster, your cliffs look very good though

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »
Looking good.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »
Hi Keith,

All is looking great  :thumbsup:

For rocks cliffs etc, some of the War-Gamers have really useful videos on YouTube.

One guy I subscribe to is Mel, the Terrain Tutor, who shows some easy yet effective techniques, and is very entertaining to watch.

This is his playlist for rocks and cliffs ..... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLohbeH3fTP1sy244bli51FN-QtNURIQzs

Videos 19 and 20 are for painting and are how I painted my rocks.

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »
 :hellosign: Very  impressive cliff face Keith, looking good   :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
A great example of a Cliff, your really coming out of the shadows :)

Great updates!  I too was distracted by the 1:144 Revell kits..... spent ages mulling over possible locations for the Millenium Falcon :)  .... in the end I decided it was just too big (and expensive) to justify!

Offline DaveGlew

• N Gauge Society Number: 28385
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »
One guy I subscribe to is Mel, the Terrain Tutor, who shows some easy yet effective techniques, and is very entertaining to watch.

This is his playlist for rocks and cliffs ..... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLohbeH3fTP1sy244bli51FN-QtNURIQzs
:thankyousign:
I took a look........ the guy makes the painting seem so easy...... Great videos
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2018, 07:25:23 AM »
That looks pretty impressive to me. How will you guard against rockfalls? Some form of N gauge netting?

Thank you NN. Yes, I think a mixture of netting, walling and some form of “catch fencing”. I have lots of ideas, it’s the implementation of the ideas that’s a bit slow!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2018, 07:31:41 AM »
Thank you Only Me. Tormouth is very impressive.

Whilst I say plaster I did actually use ready mixed filler (Wickes as well). The rolling technique sounds good, it would have saved me a lot of stripping time, especially on the over-cooked section. The weather was particularly cold when I did some of the work and I also think that covering the surface with foil prolonged the setting time. What I didn’t note was whether there was a difference between shiny side in or out!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2018, 07:33:21 AM »
 :thankyousign: PP. Praise from a master such as yourself is praise indeed!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #341 on: May 02, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »
Thank you Kevin. I will take a look at the videos on painting. As you say the war gamers are a good source of knowledge and techniques, as is Windmill Hill!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #342 on: May 02, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
A great example of a Cliff, your really coming out of the shadows :)

Great updates!  I too was distracted by the 1:144 Revell kits..... spent ages mulling over possible locations for the Millenium Falcon :)  .... in the end I decided it was just too big (and expensive) to justify!

Oh no, I see what you did there!
Takes me back to when I was a Batchelor Boy hanging out with the Young Ones. Had a chance to Move It with a Living Doll when she asked me "Do You Wanna Dance?".
This bloke said "you look like a real Foot Tapper in this Wonderful Land, here on your Summer Holiday. Do you want to meet a genuine Apache on his replica on the Kon Tiki?"
Congratulations Andrew.  :beers:

How do we know that the Millenium Falcon is 1:144 scale??  :hmmm:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2018, 08:17:05 PM »
Thank you for all the info. on cliff making. I used a similar process for mine: crumpled aluminium foil and sandless tile grout. Some areas came out better than others. I still have to apply various colour washes to the basic Humbrol enamel Panzer Grey!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »
Another month passes, time for a quick update.

Not a huge amount of progress since my last post. We have had a couple of weeks on holiday and we are finally able to get out in the garden and catch up on all of the spring jobs.

The terraformers have been back and used some new techniques (thank you for the utube links).

I now need to add some vegetation.

I also need to add some fencing and netting as helpfully suggested by NN. I'm struggling to find suitable netting. I've tried the plastic netting that Babybel cheese comes in - but it is too large.

Mrs keithbythe sea's sieve looks to be perfect but I think that she will notice if I cut a large whole in it.  :uneasy:

I feel a trip coming on to Poundland or Wilko to source a cheap sieve (or old fashioned tea strainer maybe)...

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal