!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 57357 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #315 on: March 16, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
Flipped the layout round today (quite easy as it just sits on a worktop and I put foam under the baseboards) so that I could do some more terraforming. Discovered (well I forgot) that most of the track along the back of the model is loosely pinned down. Following the many recent discussions regarding the robustness of dcc I decided to add a few more droppers down to the bus ďjust in caseĒ. Half of the job done. Droppers (Peco pre-wired jobs) added but not connected to the bus. As an experiment I will run before and after connecting the new droppers to the bus to see if there is any discernible difference. My layout is small and simple so not expecting too much.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
Just having a catch up, looking good, like the climbing school.

As an experience climber happy to advise how ropes for both top and lead (placing the rope as you go) should be if you wanted.

If you're wanting to leave them as free climbers they look good, if wanted, could add some bouldering matts to the path below where they are if they're having a lesson, bit like 5inch thick foam crash mats from gym class at school, just to soften the drop, usually dark colours.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »
Thank you Black Sheep. Iíve been thinking about adding ropes, your comments are timely and welcome. Advice gratefully received. The mats sound great, Iím sure that I can improvise something and it will be different from a bit of grass (and a softer landing too). I could even adapt one of my many Chinese figures as a ďsaved fallerĒ.  :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »
Results from the re-wiring. Extra droppers have made no discernible difference, other than in the language associated with retro-fitting them under some of the scenery! Hey-ho it hasnít made things worse so no problem. The result has increased my suspicion that locos failing to instantly respond to a signal from the dcc controller is possibly due to the loco chip not responding. Next test is to buy a new dcc chip (zimo is the way to go it seems) and swap that for one of the Dapol factory fitted chips.

I have taken the opportunity to make some minor mods to the track layout at the high level which will mean I have more scope for different positions for the crane. However, this does mean that I need a new bridge (yippee!). I think I might have a go at scratch building one.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
I could even adapt one of my many Chinese figures as a ďsaved fallerĒ.  :thumbsup:

Which means you could then have Paramedics, an ambulance, maybe a rescue helicopter ............................ ;D (How big is your layout again?).  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »
I have heard that the DCC chips factory fitted by Dapol are not as good as they could be, Keith. I would also recommend trying a Lenz Silver Mini.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
Thank you Black Sheep. Iíve been thinking about adding ropes, your comments are timely and welcome. Advice gratefully received. The mats sound great, Iím sure that I can improvise something and it will be different from a bit of grass (and a softer landing too). I could even adapt one of my many Chinese figures as a ďsaved fallerĒ.  :thumbsup:

no problem,

Bouldering is usually going only a few feet off the ground, working along the wall rather than up it, good practice for foot and hand hold technique but has become a sport in it's own right.

Some climbing centres will have a bouldering wall for people to have a go on / practice in between their turn on the wall.

Top rope, this is the usual way in which someone will learn to climb with the rope anchored to a point on the wall or above (if to a fixed object above there'll be something as it goes over the top of the wall onto the flat to protect the rope) The rope will run from the climber, up the wall to the anchor point then back down to someone belaying who will be stood behind and slightly off to the side of the person climbing to make sure the rope is not catching on anything (including the climber) they'll usually have a bit of a pile of rope off to their left or right depending on if they are left or right handed. The rope will come in a straight line (with a bit of slack depending if the climber is climbing or resting or being lowered back off the wall) down to the belayer.

Lead climbing, this is where the person belaying is not taking up slack in the rope but often paying it out, the climber will start with a few feet of rope between his harness and the belayer, the climber will climb up, putting in temporary anchor points as they go, usually around 3-6ft apart (place anchor, climb a little, reach up and place next anchor) these are usually metal blocks on a strap that are wedged into gaps in the rock. If the climber falls, they'll drop about 4ft before being caught (Assuming the first anchor point holds, sometimes the first goes slowing the fall and the next one stops the fall) the rope will wiggle it's way up the wall between these anchor points with the rope then running from the lowest anchor point to the belayer. They may also use mats when starting off as, until you've got your second or third anchor point in place a ground fall is still possible.

A climbing centre would take the ropes down each night, partly for liability, partly for theft prevention but mainly for weather damage. If anchor points are at the top of the wall, someone would likely walk round, fit the rope into the anchor point and drop the ends down the rock face.

If the anchor point is not accessible from the bottom, someone would have to lead climb up to place it, removing the anchor points (correctly called 'quickdraws') as they came down so that it's not in the way for the class doing top rope.

I hope that's of help and will help make sense when looking at photos of climbers, search for 'top rope climbing' or 'trad climbing'

One additional note is, if there is an overhang, it's possible the belayer will stand with their back up against the wall looking up and out at the climber, the climber's life is literally in their hands.

Ropes are fastened to harnesses at the belly button, helmets should be in use outdoors for all on site (blob of paint on the head should do it) belayers hands are generally holding the rope below waist level unless pulling the rope in (or letting out for lead climbing) probably best watching a youtube vid for belaying rather than me try and explain)

People coming down the wall after finishing climbing will usually be feet against the wall, in a straight legged sitting position, walking backwards (jumping out from the wall is optional and good fun)

modern kit is quite brightly coloured, you may have some chalk marks on bits of rock that have been used as hand holds for a few people (absorbs sweat) you're meant to clean it off but a climbing centre might not bother to clean (or to use)

sorry, that's become a bit of an essay!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2018, 07:40:03 AM »
Thank you Black Sheep, brilliant!  :beers:

Watch this space, but not too soon (Iíve diverted myself onto some terraforming)  :D

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #323 on: March 29, 2018, 07:36:48 AM »
I could even adapt one of my many Chinese figures as a ďsaved fallerĒ.  :thumbsup:

Which means you could then have Paramedics, an ambulance, maybe a rescue helicopter ............................ ;D (How big is your layout again?).  :)

Oh yes, great ideas  :thankyousign:

Itís only a small layout but room enough for all of this. Need to find an n scale helicopter (adds to list of purchases) and I need to research modelling blood... (lots of blood everywhere, where are my calm pills?)  :smiley-laughing:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #324 on: March 29, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
Morning Keith,

I'm sure you've done your own research but saw this....

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/john.whitby/review05.htm

Hope helps. Also this which is slightly over the top but bit of fun....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhFlAXVnOY8

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS Just use real blood, it's pretty indelible. The source is up to you  :D

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #325 on: March 29, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
 :thankyousign: Weave

Yes the model zone helicopter looks to be ideal. Unfortunately model zone went bust in January 2017. I can't find another source of the Revell mini kits (even on the Revell web site). However Revell do a number of 1:144 helicopter kits, just need to decide which one to buy (probably not the Apache!). Also got tempted by some whacky alternatives to a helicopter: harrier jump jet? (bit too much down draft), space shuttle? (too fast), Concorde? (definitely too fast) and I see that they still sell the Saturn V Apollo moon mission rocket (always wanted one of those but it never happened).

The motorized helicopter with led light is definitely a step too far!!!!

:beers:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #326 on: March 29, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
Also got tempted by some whacky alternatives to a helicopter:  space shuttle? (too fast),  and I see that they still sell the Saturn V Apollo moon mission rocket (always wanted one of those but it never happened).

so, what I'm hearing is that the quarry is a front for an evil layer

Do Oxford make a silver Aston Martin?  8)

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: March 29, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
Hi Keith,

I love your layout, and seem to remember Thunderbird 1 being hidden up by the Quarry....

Who needs helicopters when you've got International Rescue  :claphappy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIAKj3Gl1E

Best Wishes
Kevin

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
Hi Keith,

I love your layout, and seem to remember Thunderbird 1 being hidden up by the Quarry....

Best Wishes
Kevin

Letís hope that The Hood isnít lurking somewhere up by the quarry.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #329 on: March 29, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »
Hi Keith,

Best Wishes
Kevin

:thankyousign: Kevin. Yes Thunderbird 1 was temporarily based in the quarry, and I did think about inviting Thunderbird 2 back for emergency evacuations. The problem is that I donít have enough room for the runway and I really donít want to contemplate modelling folding palm trees!

I did see an n scale model of a Millenium Falcon...  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal