!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 45480 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »
Thanks Andrew, apologies for the delay - just back from hols.

The house occupants were "directed" to adopt a colourful approach to exterior colour.  ;)

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
I used to live in Alresford, Hampshire.

Apparently people who live in the main street really are "directed" as to what colour they may paint the facade of their house.

Best regards,

Joe

Steamie+

« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2017, 06:00:18 AM »
Hope you had a brilliant holiday Keith. Looking forward to more on your layout soon.   :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2017, 07:01:44 AM »
Hope you had a brilliant holiday Keith. Looking forward to more on your layout soon.   :thumbsup:

Seconded! 8-)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
I used to live in Alresford, Hampshire.

Apparently people who live in the main street really are "directed" as to what colour they may paint the facade of their house.

Best regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe, I believe that this is the case in a few locations. Sonmel is influenced by many things, one of which is the use of green paint for windows and doors as on Lanzarote. However, unlike Lanzarote buildings can be colours other than white.....

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2017, 01:32:10 PM »

Seconded! 8-)

Thank you guys. Back refreshed although many things to do in the garden at the moment. Lots of new ideas whilst away and many pictures of rock formations.... also good news is that the Redutex now has a delivery date of mid June. I may be able to finish the conveyors soon...

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2017, 01:00:16 PM »
Hooray, long awaited Redutex has arrived in the post today. Looks to be very good.

However, it's clear blue skies and 26 degrees here so off to the beach for a swim in the sea this afternoon  8)

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: July 06, 2017, 01:29:01 AM »
Hooray, long awaited Redutex has arrived in the post today. Looks to be very good.

However, it's clear blue skies and 26 degrees here so off to the beach for a swim in the sea this afternoon  8)

Hi Keith

Didn't know what Redutex was until I Googled it just now. Looks like interesting stuff.

Lucky you with the beach handy. Swimming a bit chilly here at my latitude this time of the year, but a nice sunny day is coming up.

Webbo

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: July 06, 2017, 07:36:41 AM »
Hi Webbo. Steamie put me on to the Redutex. It looks to be really good. I will find how easy it is to work with when the English summer ends (which could be tomorrow...). As you will probably have seen they do a variety of "materials", all at n scale.

I will post pictures when I have made some progress. However, hot again today (can't claim that the sea is, but this is England after all) so may well be the beach again this afternoon.  8)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: July 07, 2017, 08:37:07 PM »
Thought I would try out the Redutex on one of the quarry buildings first. Larger area than the conveyors so better chance to get used to working with the material.

Here is a naked (can I use that word on here??) building:

This shows the only plain side of the building. I didn't think ahead that the other three sides all have openings in them.  :doh:

Note to self, need to correct the drooping access platform half way up.

However, after much careful knife work a corrugated steel clad building was created:

Now need to put the roof on and clad that.

Many thanks to Steamie for the recommendation. Great stuff,  :thankyousign:

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: July 07, 2017, 11:06:24 PM »
That "careful knife work" looks good.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
@keithbythe sea
I am guessing the "careful knife work" is just a question of scoring the redutex with the knife against a straight edge? Is it an easy material to cut/score?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
@keithbythe sea
I am guessing the "careful knife work" is just a question of scoring the redutex with the knife against a straight edge? Is it an easy material to cut/score?

Overplaying my skill levels really. I can best describe the Redutex as a reasonably soft rubber like material. It is self adhesive with a removable paper layer at the back. Really easy to cut with a new sharp craft knife. Only problem I found was that if you cut "face up" the backing paper tends to want to slide around on the cutting mat. You can cut face down, which for my corrugated steel is not ideal as you can't see the corrugations. Great material, really pleased with it.

Steamie+

« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »
Thought I would try out the Redutex on one of the quarry buildings first. Larger area than the conveyors so better chance to get used to working with the material.

Here is a naked (can I use that word on here??) building:

This shows the only plain side of the building. I didn't think ahead that the other three sides all have openings in them.  :doh:

Note to self, need to correct the drooping access platform half way up.

However, after much careful knife work a corrugated steel clad building was created:

Now need to put the roof on and clad that.

Many thanks to Steamie for the recommendation. Great stuff,  :thankyousign:

Great to see that you have done a brilliant job Keith it looks really impressive.  :thumbsup:

One tip for you, if you place the Redutex on your building slightly oversize before cutting, you can get the corrugated to match up better, you only need to be about 2mm.

Have you tried any off their other stuff, i have bought some walling i am going to try on Roedann Viaduct when i get myself sorted, (on here without Anne knowing at the moment).   Happy Modelling Keith, and hope to see more of your great layout.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »

Great to see that you have done a brilliant job Keith it looks really impressive.  :thumbsup:

One tip for you, if you place the Redutex on your building slightly oversize before cutting, you can get the corrugated to match up better, you only need to be about 2mm.

Have you tried any off their other stuff, i have bought some walling i am going to try on Roedann Viaduct when i get myself sorted, (on here without Anne knowing at the moment).   Happy Modelling Keith, and hope to see more of your great layout.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Steamie, that's a really good point. I nearly got there myself thinking about how I would put the roof on!

With regards to other Redutex, I have been looking at their paving range. I am working on the fourth (at least) version of my harbour walls and like the look of the stone setts. I have also found that Vollmer do a range of textured card. I can see the advantages of card for walling and flat surfaces but Redutex will win every time for apex style roofing or curves.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal