!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 45146 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »
The support structure for the conveyors is now assembled.

Here it is ready to leave the fabrication shop:

And just to show how it might look when it is transported up to the mine.

It needs to be painted prior to moving...

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »
the second picture is very well framed :)

Great work, great looking structure

Cheers,
Andrew

Steamie+

« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2017, 07:56:51 AM »
Looks superb Keith, itís better on the inside now donít you think.      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2017, 10:54:41 AM »
the second picture is very well framed :)

Great work, great looking structure

Cheers,
Andrew

Thank you Andrew. Rather intricate but quite pleased with the end result. I had already built the building to go on top but the tower changed dimensions from planned during construction. So now need to build new building. Bit like real construction... :'(

How is the sun?

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
Looks superb Keith, itís better on the inside now donít you think.      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Many thanks Steamie, much appreciated. Your feedback was good. :thumbsup:

Rebuilding has caused some more work, see above post. But that's my fault so hey ho no problem.

Redutex is currently out of stock so I am experimenting with different ways of making corrugated iron from scratch. Not entirely pleased with any outcome so far, but no rush. I did buy some ratio stuff, on-line so unseen. It is very thick and seems to be a bit over scaled to me. Best results so far with kitchen foil, but that is too thin. I have just discovered some old foil baking trays, need to "upcycle" one and see how that looks.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
too hot to handle!

Have you tried printing corrugated overlay?  I used that technique for the interior of my garage

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2017, 07:53:06 PM »
  :thankyousign: Looks very good. Something I have not considered to date. I have so far favoured plastic over card. I have had a Metcalfe kit unbuilt for 12 months now!

However, I have yet to find a home made technique that I am happy with.

I have the scalescenes website currently bookmarked. Did you use theirs? What quality of card / paper did you print onto?

Maybe I should risk a couple of quid on a download :hmmm:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »
I didn't do anything more complicated than a google images search for N Gauge corrugated iron & got a picture I could use... it was then just printed onto ordinary paper.  this was an internal office for a garage that won't normally be seen, but I plan to detail the interior so that the roof can be lifted off to reveal what is going on inside.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
I didn't do anything more complicated than a google images search for N Gauge corrugated iron & got a picture I could use... it was then just printed onto ordinary paper.  this was an internal office for a garage that won't normally be seen, but I plan to detail the interior so that the roof can be lifted off to reveal what is going on inside.

:thankyousign: Andrew.

A good, simple and pragmatic solution!! (Keith fires up new browser window and starts searching....)

Do be careful in that sun.  ;)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »
Great weather has delayed progress as we have been spending time in the garden and on the beach.

However, the tower has been primed, new building constructed and many experiments conducted regarding modelling corrugated iron. I think that I have found an acceptable solution. We will see what a new day and objective appraisal brings...  :hmmm:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
It is indeed difficult at this time of year. We've been gardening then a cliff too walk because it's been so nice today.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »
Great weather has delayed progress as we have been spending time in the garden and on the beach.

However, the tower has been primed, new building constructed and many experiments conducted regarding modelling corrugated iron. I think that I have found an acceptable solution. We will see what a new day and objective appraisal brings...  :hmmm:

As you may have gathered by the lack of posts, the objective appraisal did not go well  :no:

Complete re-build was the prognosis. This has now happened and I am much happier with the result. Progress is now delayed by lack of a shipment of corrugated iron from the mainland (DCC are expecting a delivery of redutex in about a month  :'( ) Whilst I have found that metal foil "corrugated" with various bottle tops is OK I am not entirely sure that it is of the required quality. I shall continue to investigate different bottle tops, primarily those associated with vino. (Oh well you have to take the rough with the smooth.  :goggleeyes: )

In the meantime I have been messing around with rock crusher models. Much styrene sheet later I think that I am beginning to get somewhere..

As I have said somewhere before, no rush, no pressure, it will get done when it gets done.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »
Thanks for the update, Keith. Looking forward to seeing the photos. of the results. I'm sure that the extra work will have been worth it.

Steamie+

« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2017, 07:12:05 AM »
I think most people are of the same thought Keith, although here we arenít getting the same temperatures has down South. I haven't really done a lot myself on my layout due to lack of funds.

The wait for the Redutex will be worth it Keith, you will find it is so easy to use and you can weather it to suit you very easily.

Happy Modelling.      :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »
A wet morning here today so a chance to catch up on things.

Still waiting for the Redutex corrugated sheeting to arrive, but the first picture shows some progress on the support tower, rock crusher and conveyors as far as I can go at the moment.

I have also been working (slowly, when not outside) on the first accommodation on the island:

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal