!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 45500 times)

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: No mor
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
There is another guy on eBay-goes under Dapr he does unusual items as well -it's one of those keith-it's not mainstream -so you have to pay more. Like steamie + says thought -its got to go some height on your mockups maybe home grown is best -keep us informed. There's a whole load of plastic sections out there to build with the evergreen selection seems endless !

Regards

Neil
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »
There is another guy on eBay-goes under Dapr he does unusual items as well -it's one of those keith-it's not mainstream -so you have to pay more. Like steamie + says thought -its got to go some height on your mockups maybe home grown is best -keep us informed. There's a whole load of plastic sections out there to build with the evergreen selection seems endless !

Regards

Neil

Thanks Neil. Yes, I have seen the Dapr stuff on eBay. Do you know of anyone who has used his stuff?

As Steamie said the length that I require means that I will have to scratch build. I have started this today, to also include a small building where I will have a change in direction of the conveyor. Really enjoyed it although I have to order some corrugated sheeting for the roofing. Just primed what I have built so far.

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »
Bought some of his skips-because the merit/ peco scene looked rubbish (pardon the pun ) his stuff looks OK to me -in the point of a building to change direction it would be a hopper ? One conveyor feeds in the top -second conveyor goes from the bottom ?? Have I got it right ? If so are you just going for a tower no internal details or are you going for an open affair using girders/ braces and the like ?
Regards
Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2017, 07:07:31 PM »
Thanks for the info on Dapr. I quite like the look of the converted shipping containers.

Yes, one conveyor drops material onto another. This aspect aspect will be hidden inside my building. However, the building will be elevated on a tower of some description. Currently assessing whether I have enough spare parts from my Walthers kit or whether I will have to scratch build the tower.  :)

Steamie+

« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »
Scratch build it Keith, you will enjoy the thought that it is unique, has no one else with have anything like the one you make. All you need to do is take your time and think about how you would go about, looking at various photoís will help enormously.      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2017, 08:37:15 PM »
Certainly a strong contender for scratch building Steamie. Not done any work on the layout today but pleased with my efforts to date on the conveyor and building. Need to put together a shopping list for structural sections for the tower. I have some beams but they are prototype 2+ feet deep, bit over the top for a tower.  :)

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »
Keith -I'm a structural welder/ steel erector -24"◊12" wouldn't be uncommon! Our industrial unit has some quite close for the uprights ! It's all to do with the twist action -and depending on how much your hopper up there holds -wouldn't be a silly as you think !!
Regards
Neil

And I was Born ready .

Steamie+

« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2017, 05:31:50 AM »
I agree with outofgauge Keith, it would be ok, you have to remember what it is supporting in real life, but you can always get some slightly smaller beam and do a mock up to see if it looks ok.

Itís your layout after all Keith and if it looks right to you, but do please donít give up on scratch building Keith, once you have done something no matter how small, (My1st attempt was the Coal Staithes) on Roedann Viaduct, you will get so much satisfaction from doing it i promise you.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
 :thankyousign: for the feedback and encouragement guys. No worries, scratch build be the way. Currently negotiating with the finance department and the steel stockholders. Looks like an order will be placed today. Probably order a variety of sections, makes the postage look less :D

Steamie+

« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
:thankyousign: for the feedback and encouragement guys. No worries, scratch build be the way. Currently negotiating with the finance department and the steel stockholders. Looks like an order will be placed today. Probably order a variety of sections, makes the postage look less :D

Try and get it interest free Keith.       :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2017, 08:15:33 AM »

Hopefully there will be plenty of interest.... :claphappy:

Steamie+

« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »

Hopefully there will be plenty of interest.... :claphappy:

:laughabovepost:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
Much excitement on Sonmel today as there was a shipment of many tonnes (well grams actually) of structural steelwork from the mainland.

After furious cutting and welding the support structure for the mine conveyors begins to take shape. (There was a bit of a delay as the lawns had to be mowed first,  :))

Further cross bracing needs to be added before the structure is finally assembled and moved into place.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
I have been busy FULLY Retiring for the past couple of weeks so progress on Sonmel has been a bit slow. We have also had some hard landscaping done in the garden which has also kept me busy.

However, I have made some progress, shown below.

This is all very temporary at the moment, just seeing how things might look.

I will now have a hunt around the forum and see what you guys and gals have been up to over the past few weeks.

Looks great Keith, that Horton Sphere there, reminds me of the large tank farm hidden in a shale bing on the outskirts of Edinburgh that I used to work at :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
Just caught up with your thread Keith, like the way the conveyor is coming together, look forward to seeing how your scratchbuilding comes along, looking for some inspiration :)

been wracking my brains for an idea on NCB (similar to the way I hi-jacked BP to be Blackford Petroleum) .... best I can come up with so far is Norris Crag Boulders :) but give me an hour in the African sun tomorrow & I might come up with something else (other than sun stroke)

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal