!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 44089 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #705 on: October 04, 2019, 07:23:46 AM »
Thank you John & Martin. Good point Martin, that will be an excellent location.

I am deliberating whether I should try and install a station platform on the outside of the bend between the track and bridge abutment?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #706 on: October 04, 2019, 08:50:57 AM »
You know, Keith, I think I should be disinclined to build a platform there.  It would clutter the view through below the splendid bridge and would mean that any lovely steam locomotives you photograph in that location would be partly obscured 'below the belt'.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #707 on: October 04, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
Hi Keith
I can see the attraction of installing a platform there but I agree with John.
Just my opinion.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #708 on: October 04, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »
Thank you guys, very helpful.  :thumbsup:

The station will be located somewhere else. I have no idea where, but thatís something to think about whilst Iím pretending to be busy doing something else. I do love this retirement malarkey, lots of time to think things through, no rush.

However, I did go to the local steel stockholders this morning and procured a load of steel beams. Just need to turn them into a bridge now... :confused2:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #709 on: October 04, 2019, 06:01:27 PM »
You canít beat retirement.
Itís coming up 2 years for me on Nov 2nd and Iíve loved every minute of it.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #710 on: October 04, 2019, 06:10:50 PM »
I have only been at it for 9 months, but I love it. The thing that has really struck me is the amount of freedom I have.  Once I have taken Louisa to work, the day is mine until I have to pick her up from work.   :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #711 on: October 04, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »
Blimey, Iím an old timer. Iíve been fully retired for 2 1/2 years now. (I put in some serious training beforehand by working 3 days a week for 2 1/2 years before that). It just gets better guys.  :beers:

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #712 on: October 04, 2019, 08:21:26 PM »
That is a bit like I did it Keith - cut my hours from 42 (average) to 36 per week for 12 months, then cut them further to 24 hours a week for another 12 months. I think we had better get back to Somnel now.   :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #713 on: October 06, 2019, 11:16:05 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
 Looking good Keith, look forward to seeing the next bridge, oh I can't wait to retire you lucky people
      regards Derek

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #714 on: October 07, 2019, 07:34:01 AM »
Thank you Derek. The steel fabricators have received the detailed drawings. Just the minor problem of turning them into a structure!  :)

Enjoy life now, then retirement will be even better.  :beers:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #715 on: October 11, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
Great updates Keith, that new hillside is looking great

I find when using plaster bandage, if you rub it with wet fingers before it dries, you can draw out the plaster and get quite a smooth finish without any additional layers required.

I too have been using wet & dry paper for roads as an experiment in the yard & roads around Auchterarder station, I use neat PVA glue and a bit of light weights on the edges ... seems to hold down relatively well

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #716 on: October 11, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
Thank you Andrew. Yes there are lots of different plaster bandage techniques, all rather messy but great fun. It is intriguing that there are so many different effects that can be achieved.

Taking advantage of the new photography location an eclectic short goods is seen arriving from the ferry. All essential supplies for life on the island: Dairy goods, Chocolate and Fine Foaming ale.  :)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #717 on: October 11, 2019, 07:51:13 PM »
A through goods working from Sonmel to Poppingham I hope.

The smelly diesel can come off at Bobbington and a glorious steam locomotive can take the train forward to its destination.

Great picture; thank you, Keith.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #718 on: October 13, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
A through goods working from Sonmel to Poppingham I hope.

The smelly diesel can come off at Bobbington and a glorious steam locomotive can take the train forward to its destination.

Great picture; thank you, Keith.

Best wishes.

John

It's a rather long journey but we are pleased to confirm that a (slightly revised) goods is on it's way to Poppingham, via Cornwall. Carrying Dairy produce, Fine Foaming Ale and Chocolate an extra wagon has been added. Unfortunately the Tullabardine wagon is carrying empties (very nice it was too).

When the oily diesel is replaced by steam at Bobbington, perhaps you could arrange for the whisky wagon to be redirected to the PRPS for (fictional  ;)) re-filling?!

Enjoy the supplies!  :beers:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #719 on: October 13, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
Steel Yourselves

A completely wet day here yesterday meant that it was all action at the steel fabricators.

All of the steel members were cut and two trusses were completed in double quick time. Being a Saturday, double time and completion bonuses (if only that were true in the real world) ensured that the workforce was fully motivated:

There was even time for the bridge deck to be added and bracing members welded in place:

Sorry for the poor lighting in the last picture, but it was getting rather dark (even if it was only 5pm).

You will note from the skip that there was very little wastage of very expensive structural steel.

Off to the paint shop next...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:11:54 AM by keithbythe sea, Reason: Typo »

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal