!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 40874 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #645 on: July 29, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »
Snapper, eager to get things moving, can only wait.
Will the call come?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #646 on: July 29, 2019, 08:32:32 PM »
DCI Snapper, of Scotland Yard no less, is , at this very moment, attempting to contact the Sonmel Embassy in the UK.
He seems to have hit a brick wall in that no one knows where the embassy is, nor do they know the name of the honorary consul.
Attempts to contact the island authorities by telephone have similarly failed.
Snapper is, however mightily confused. Just how did that horse box manage to get to the island (if indeed it is an island) and who, exactly, arranged its transport?

The STB is becoming increasingly concerned about “bad press”. William Posters is urgently summoned to quell these disturbing rumours.

He is reluctant to say too much as many times in the past he has been threatened with prosecution. In a hastily prepared statement he is, however, happy to confirm:
1. There is an embassy, located in London, England. The address and contact details are however subject to “diplomatic immunity”.
2. There is an honorary consul, in place at said embassy, who is indeed a peer of the realm no less. The name of the honorary consul is Lord Lionel Pugh.
3. There is photographic evidence that a horse box arrived on the island at some time in the recent past (although that does depend on relatively which past you are referencing). It can be confirmed that the ferry came from West Porthsea.
4. Sonmel is an island. We’ve had a good look round and there appears to be water on all sides.
5. We cannot comment on ferries departing from Dover. Is it near Cornwall, or Izaro perhaps?
6. Thank you for your kind comments Invicta Alec. We may use the phrase “stark staring bonkers” in future publicity material.

Time for another glass of wine methinks.....

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: July 29, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »
Wine here this evening too.
White for a change. Very refreshing but a trifle confusing (especially to the fingers).  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: July 29, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
Poor, Bill Posters, he was hired to say as little as possible to as few people as possible and had been enjoying a very quiet life. Now, he has to ask the Sonmel pigeon (proudly bearing a red-gold ring on one of its feet) to carry an urgent press release to the now not-so secret honorary consul at the still-secret London embassy. "The world is going mad", he thinks. Time to try another one of those continental wines that have recently arrived on the train ferry!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #649 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
Wine here this evening too.
White for a change. Very refreshing but a trifle confusing (especially to the fingers).  :beers:

We’re on a Portuguese Vinho Verde today.  :beers:

Rather confusing as it literally seems to translate as green wine. It’s a white but with a slight green hint.  :hmmm:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #650 on: July 29, 2019, 09:21:26 PM »
Hi Keith,

I don't want to sound all up my own whatever but Vinho Verde literally means 'green wine' but translates as 'young wine' with the wine being released 3-6 months after the grapes are harvested.

I am a bit of a wine connoisseur.

No, bollards, I Googled it  :D

I'm on red with a cider chaser  :)

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #651 on: July 29, 2019, 10:44:29 PM »
 :hellosign: Well I nearly had it sussed about four posts ago, now got to have more of my favourite tipple "Jack Daniels"
    cheers Everyone   :beers:   :beers:
       Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #652 on: July 30, 2019, 07:07:10 PM »
Press Release

William Posters cleared his throat and then spoke clearly and precisely.

“We are keen to address continuing criticism regarding our alleged secrecy. To that end I am pleased to clarify certain recent rumours.

1. A horse box is currently on Sonmel, having recently arrived from Cornwall.
2. I am not able to disclose the exact contents of the horse box due to confidentiality agreements that are in place with the owner of said horse box. I am able to confirm that it may contain a horse, or a cat.
3. I can confirm that a number of senior police officers are currently in transit to Sonmel, personally arranged by our most senior representative, Lord L. Pugh.”

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: July 30, 2019, 07:27:03 PM »
Ah, Lord Pugh has no doubt been in contact with Scotland Yard.
It seems that DCI Snapper and DI Rule may well be making a trip to Sonmel in connection with a suspected horse kidnap.
However, the two police officers may well be delayed en route as they intend to break their journey at Port Regleun where they will further pursue their enquiries.
It would, indeed, be most unfortunate if the horse box in Sonmel were to contain a cat.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #654 on: August 09, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
Is that a sensible configuration?

Intrigued by continuing rumours concerning London villains, kidnapped thoroughbred horses and high ranking police officers making their way to the island, this very short mixed goods was spotted on the line from the quarry...…

"You'll not be wanting to put that horsebox next to that cargo unless you want unintended consequences!"

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #655 on: August 09, 2019, 06:37:14 PM »
Oh dear, I do hope that there are no unforeseen (or should that be foreseeable?) consequences!

Thanks for another very good photo.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #656 on: August 19, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »
“The ferry is on schedule and will dock at 1400. We have confirmation that there are at least 2 suspicious characters on board, together with police officers Snapper and Rule. It’s time to implement operation horseshoe!”

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #657 on: August 20, 2019, 02:08:12 PM »
Trouble at the docks

A larger than usual crowd had gathered at the dockside for the arrival of the ferry. As a small isolated community there was always an interest in what was “incoming”.

The size of the crowd was directly as a result of operation horseshoe, masterminded by Nicholas Mee, head of security and policing. By international standards operation horseshoe was very simplistic. For Sonmel it was a big deal. The plan was to engage Tommy Elworthy and Harry Bell in conversation as soon as they came off the ferry. With a normal security force of one (Nick) ‘special agents’ had been recruited for the day. Once engaged in conversation the pair could be led away from the crowds. When separated, Snapper and Rule would make their arrests. Simples, nothing could possibly go wrong!

Once the mooring ropes were secured and the gangways deployed passengers began to come ashore. ‘Special agent’ Rosemary approached the pair with some trepidation. These sort of people just did not exist on Sonmel. However, she had been well briefed and was fully confident that operation horseshoe would be successful.

“Good morning gentlemen and welcome to our beautiful island of Sonmel. I’m sure that you will have a lovely time here.”

“What ho, luv. Bit quiet init?” was the response from Elworthy.

“Oh yes, it’s a very peaceful island, but a lovely place to visit. Although at the moment there is a certain amount of excitement around.”

“What’s that then, got a missing dog, or maybe somebody’s dropped some litter.” Bell laughed at his mate’s humour. The gal was quite attractive, maybe he would get a chance for a diversion during their visit. Elworthy was enjoying the encounter, especially the chance to impress his mate at his way with the women.

“Actually there are rumours that a famous racehorse has been seen. There have been several sightings of a rather ornate horse box, which is definitely not local.”

Both villains grew more interested in this woman. Could it be that they had struck lucky as soon as they got ashore? Easy money came into their thoughts. Elworthy looked at Bell and nodded.

“Really, where will be finding it then?” Elworthy gave a grin and moved closer to Rosemary.

‘It’s working’ she thought. Now to reel them in a bit more.

“Oh they are just rumours, you know what it’s like in a small community. Everything can get exaggerated ever so quickly.”

“No need to get all shy with me luv. You can tell me, honest as the day is long is me. There might be summit in it for you.” He grinned at her again.

Rosemary confidence started to ebb, she was beginning to get nervous. These two were certainly very dubious characters. “Well, there have been several sightings of the horse box on the line from the quarry.”

“Where’s that then? Can you take us there now?” Elworthy’s excitement was palpable, this could be the easiest big earner ever.

“Access is restricted, I’m afraid.”

“No need to get all coy with us luv. We’re ‘armless enough, just interested in ‘orses. Spill the beans.”

“Well, it’s not that easy. And they are just rumours.” Rosemary was getting even more nervous. These two were getting more aggressive with every passing minute. Maybe operation horseshoe was a bit too simple?

Elworthy spoke with some menace, “Look luv. I’ll make it clearer for you. Just take us there now.”
Rosemary suddenly felt completely out of her depth. “I don’t think that will be possible...”

Elworthy nodded to Bell and in a single swift movement he drew a flick knife, grabbed Rosemary roughly from behind and held the knife to her throat. Bell moved to his side, closely watching the crowd. “I’ll say it just one more time lady. Take us there now an no one will get hurt.” The crowd gasped.

“Nick, he’s got a knife.” The view through the sniper scope was very clear. “Elworthy has your wife with a knife at her throat. Do you want me to take him now?”

To be continued...

Also posted on Port Perran thread

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #658 on: August 21, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »
 :hellosign:
     Thanks Keith.
   regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #659 on: August 23, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
Trouble at the docks (the conclusion)

Rory Lyons, ex military and a former safari park gamekeeper was lying prone, the rifle steady on the tripod. Elworthy’s temple sat neatly in the cross hairs. Nick Mee stood next to him, “wait!” He spoke into his lapel microphone, “if you can hear me Chief Inspector, please raise your hat.” Members of the waiting crowd had passed earpieces to Snapper and Rule as they came off the boat. Nick had considered it too risky to include microphone sets as well. Communication would be one way, with him leading. No pressure then!

Down on the dockside Snapper subtly lifted his hat very slightly. He and Rule were in the second row of the crowd with a clear view of both villains.

Good, at least we had one way communications established. “We can take Elworthy now if you would like us to, but it would be rather messy. I would rather resolve this more peacefully. If you could move to your left Chief Inspector you will find one of our people with a microphone set.”

Snapper move unobtrusively along the crowd until he made contact. He quickly clipped on the microphone and transmitter.

Nick watched through the powerful binoculars. “Can you speak without raising any suspicions?”

Snapper replied. “Yes. We have them both in clear sight. Your crowd are doing an excellent job. It is currently not possible to apprehend the villains without endangering the hostage.”

“Understood. The hostage happens to be my wife so we need to be very careful. We can arrange a diversion from here when you and your colleague are in position and ready.”

“Roger that.” Snapper whispered to Rule. “I have two way contact with the locals. They would prefer us to make the arrests down here. They will arrange a diversion when we are ready.” Rule nodded in acknowledgment.

Nick spoke to Rory. “Plan b Rory.” 

“Ok.”

Down on the dock the crowd was starting to get restless and began to close the gap to the two villains and their hostage.

“Ok lady, nice and easy now. Nobody will get hurt, just keep back! We’ll go for a little walk and you’ll take us to the nag.” Elworthy continued holding the knife close to her neck as he backed towards the port exit. Things weren’t going exactly to plan but he’d been in far worse scrapes in the past. He’d seen far more angry mobs back in the smoke.

The scene was unfolding through Lyon’s scope. “They’re moving away from the crowd Nick, gap’s getting bigger. Shot is still on.”

“Wait!”

Nick spoke a single word, “close.”

As one, the crowd moved cautiously forward. Snapper and Rule in the front row.

“Keep back and the lady don’t get hurt!” Elworthy was beginning to have some doubts. This crowd were getting a bit restless and downright spooky. Bell was visibly shaking.

“Ready when you are Chief Inspector.”

Snapper looked at Rule, who simply nodded. “Go!”

Nick said “fire”

Rory Lyons squeezed the trigger.

Elworthy’s head exploded red at his temple. At the same time Rosemary twisted down and away from the knife. Turning she kicked a Jimmy Choo directly at the side of Bell’s knee. In an instant Snapper and Rule grappled both villains to the ground and had them cuffed. Snapper couldn’t resist a “you’re nicked!” in Elworthy’s ear as he put the cuffs on. It was debatable whether Elworthy heard him. He couldn’t quite understand how he was still alive, although his head really hurt.

It was several minutes later before it was clear exactly what had transpired once Nick had given the order to Rory to fire. Plan b involved the use of a paintball rather than a real bullet. (Rory was subsequently heard to complain after a few beers in the local, that Nick could have given him more time to make the change of ammunition). Rosemary knew (or thought she did) what was going to happen. She needed to get away from the knife safely and if possible disable Bell until the police officers could get to them. The kick with the shoe was well aimed, although Nick would have to buy her a new pair. The heel was obviously not designed for a high speed impact with a human knee. As for the dress, well he could buy a new one of those too. She didn’t think that the red paint would easily wash out.

Nick and Rory looked at each other and smiled. “Good job boss.”

“Nice shot”, Nick replied, “very colourful”.

“Yeah, thought you’d like that. Much more dramatic than yellow or blue.”

Nick spoke into the lapel microphone. “Well done Chief Inspector. Your collar I believe.”

“Thank you Nick, for a job well done. I think that it’s going to cost you a new pair of shoes and a dress!”

“Oh I think that’ll be the least I can get away with.”

Nick made his way down to the dock. “Chief Inspector, I have a message from Superintendent Leeworthy, he would like to speak with you as soon as possible. We can go to my office and use the telephone there. I’m afraid that we don’t have any cells on the island for your two prisoners. I suggest that we lock them in a box van until the ferry is ready to depart for West Porthsea.”

“That will be fine, thank you.”

Elworthy was beginning to come round. “Blimey, what happened, my head hurts. Where’s all this red paint come from?”

Bell, shouted at Nick, “I’m gonna make charges against that mad woman. Broke me knee she ‘as. That’s assault.”

As they headed for Nicks’ office, Snapper asked, “what’s with the operation horseshoe, there’s no horse on the island.”

“Ah, poetic license I’m afraid. We guessed that the best way to intimidate Elworthy and Bell was a bit of crowd mentality. Selected people in the crowd were equipped with earpieces. Operation horseshoe meant that when given the order, the crowd were to move in such a way as to create a decreasing semicircle around them. Quite spooky if you’re on the receiving end. I didn’t quite pan out as planned, but that’s life. Now, the telephone is just through here.”

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here