!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 38908 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2019, 07:00:10 AM »
Thank you, Keith, for another excellent set of photos. Delighted to see that Sir George Widgeon's liveried horsebox made the crossing safely, together with its secrets.
But......is there a horse in there?

We have managed to make contact with William Posters, head of publicity at the STB who had this to say....

“No comment”

:wave:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #631 on: July 27, 2019, 08:22:56 AM »
Good old Bill Posters, only Sonmel could employ a man of so few words as Head of Publicity! 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #632 on: July 29, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »
After consultations between Admiral Tregowan and Doctor Who, Admiral Tregowan had recommended to Sir George Widgeon III that a very special gold paint be used in painting the replicas of his grandfather's ornately liveried horsebox. A very small amount of red-gold metal powder orichalcum or aurichalcum was to be used in this paint. When Admiral Tregowan asked Doctor Who why, he responded:

"My dear Admiral, surely you have heard of Schrödinger's cat?"

The bemused admiral replied that he most certainly had not and asked what relevance someone's cat could possibly have with a special paint!

"Tut, tut! Are you not taught such elementary concepts at school? It concerns a hypothetical cat that may be simultaneously both alive and dead."

"No, I was not. Please, explain, Doctor how a cat can be simultaneously both alive and dead!"

"I will keep this as simple as I can."

"I would be very grateful."

"Quite logically, the cat in question can be either alive or dead, not both alive and dead. The details of the 1935 thought experiment of Austrian physicist, Erwin Schrödinger, relating to an interpretation of quantum mechanics applied to everyday objects, need not concern us, here."

"Thank goodness for that. So, Doctor, the effect of this paint is?"

"My dear Admiral, why it is quite simple, should there be sufficient orichalcum in the horsebox van's gilding, then depending on the size of the object(s) within it, that object can be either present or absent, but not, of course, both present and absent."

"Well, that makes sense. So a horse placed within such a horsebox, depending on the amount of the orichalcum . . . "

"And the size of the horse," interrupted the Doctor.

"And the size of the horse. A horse within it can be either present or absent, not both present and absent, as logic, of course, informs us."

"Most certainly, dear Admiral."

"Is there any way of ensuring that a particular horse is in a particular horsebox at a particular time?"

"And place. Yes, naturally, there is, dear Admiral. The calculations are not complex. My granddaughter can complete them in seconds. Now, if you really do not mind, I have far more pressing concerns to deal with than assisting in hiding your friend's prize racehorse from criminals."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:17:30 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: July 29, 2019, 09:12:27 AM »
So, if I am understanding the above correctly, I am either here reading the above, or I am not.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #634 on: July 29, 2019, 09:20:55 AM »
So, if I am understanding the above correctly, I am either here reading the above, or I am not.  :hmmm:

Yes, indeed. 8-)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #635 on: July 29, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »
A horse! A horse! My island for a horse!

I looked into the horsebox and can categorically state that it was empty. There wasn’t even a cat in there. Of course there is no way of me knowing that before I looked in the horsebox there wasn’t a horse in there, or a cat. Naturally now that I’m not looking in the horsebox I can’t definitively say that there isn’t a horse in there now. There could be a cat in there now. Quite frankly if there was a cat in there it wouldn’t matter to me whether it belonged to Mr Schrodinger, or Newport Nobby or Train Waiting, or anyone else.

By this time my brain was seriously hurting.

Perplexed by this conundrum I briefly explained it to a passing gentleman and asked him for his opinion.

“I say Mr Heisenberg, what do you think?”

“Well young man, I’m not certain….”

“Nurse, the screens. Open that bottle of wine for me please.”

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #636 on: July 29, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
Is there a horse, was there a horse, or was it a cat?
I know the man to get to the bottom of it but he’s in Cornwall right now.
When is the next ferry?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #637 on: July 29, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
When is the next ferry?

1. Don't care anymore - my brain still hurts.
2. What is Cornwall?
3. Depends where you want to go... but if you're not on the ferry how do you know that there is a ferry. Or isn't a ferry...

"Bring me more wine!"

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #638 on: July 29, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »
When is the next ferry?

2. What is Cornwall?
3. Depends where you want to go... but if you're not on the ferry how do you know that there is a ferry. Or isn't a ferry...

"Bring me more wine!"

We’re turning to wine here too.
Except in my case it’s whisky.
Cheers.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #639 on: July 29, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
When is the next ferry?

2. What is Cornwall?

"Bring me more wine!"

We’re turning to wine here too.
Except in my case it’s whisky.
Cheers.

Ah, everything looks clearer now. Dinner with a couple of glasses of wine 🍷, perfect.

Cheers with the whisky! Can’t touch it myself (long story, self inflicted injury)!  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #640 on: July 29, 2019, 07:12:14 PM »
Anyone who has a ticket for the Sonmel ferry does not need to know to the sailing time.

Anyone who needs to know to the sailing time of the Sonmel ferry does not have a ticket.

8-)

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #641 on: July 29, 2019, 07:32:43 PM »
I'm a latecomer to the Sonmel thread. I think I joined in about ten pages ago. Being a fine upstanding Man of Kent and also being of sound mind (possibly) I was not at all bothered to begin with that I didn't understand what was going on. I'll catch up I thought, its a bit like going into the Roxy cinema when the film has already been running for half an hour.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that "stark staring bonkers" doesn't adequately cover it. I asked at the Port of Dover if I could buy a ferry ticket to Sonmel. The bloke said "Sorry mate, all sold out for passengers but I might be able to find a place for your horse".

I think I'll go and have a lie down.  :worried:

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #642 on: July 29, 2019, 07:52:11 PM »
The island of Sonmel is very particular about who can visit it for a variety of reasons. As the sole ferry to and from Sonmel can only use Sonmel's harbour with prior permission the island authorities also exercise their jurisdiction over the ferry service. It's sailings are seldom and the schedule unknown except to the Sonmel authorities and the ship's captain who has signed the Official Secrets Act.

To obtain a ticket for the Sonmel ferry, the visitor, first, needs a tourist visa. To obtain a tourist visa, the would-be visitor has to, first, receive an invitation from the island authorities then attend a face-to-face interview with the Sonmel honorary consul in the would-be visitor's home country. But, in order to do that, they have to know how to contact the Sonmel honorary consul in the would-be visitor's home country which information is only available from the Sonmel island authorities . . .  A bit like Catch 22 so, do not worry if you're confused, Alec. And never ask where Sonmel is, as anyone asking that goes on the official blacklist of the Sonmel island authorities. (It is rumoured that that is because the Sonmel island authorities do not know the answer to that question either. But that is, very probably, an evil rumour put about by those on said blacklist!)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:54:44 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: July 29, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »
DCI Snapper, of Scotland Yard no less, is , at this very moment, attempting to contact the Sonmel Embassy in the UK.
He seems to have hit a brick wall in that no one knows where the embassy is, nor do they know the name of the honorary consul.
Attempts to contact the island authorities by telephone have similarly failed.
Snapper is, however mightily confused. Just how did that horse box manage to get to the island (if indeed it is an island) and who, exactly, arranged its transport?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #644 on: July 29, 2019, 08:23:34 PM »
Fortunately, after Scotland Yard is also unable to help, DCI Snapper is about to swallow his pride and call Admiral Tregowan when he remembers Huw Jenkins, the Trevelver Castle Head Butler, who also has signed the Official Secrets Act and has his own official contacts apart from Lord Trevelver's.

However, when Snapper puts a call through to the Castle, Huw has to admit that he does not know the answers to any of the detective's questions either but has heard that enquiries have been made about Sonmel at Penmayne harbour by some suspicious 'foreign' (meaning from the other sde of the Tamar) characters. This further disconcerts the detective. Someone knows more than he does!

The Head Butler's wife, the Castle’s Housekeeper overhearing the conversation, then informs her husband that the person to ask is Miss Sylvia because she and her female friends have visited Sonmel because she found their return tickets discarded in the wastepaper bin in Sylvia's bedroom. Unfortunately, Sylvia, Eli, and Sofia are already on their way to Waterloo with Susan. As Susan's help is also urgently required in a different but associated matter, Huw 'phones Lady Trevelver's friend at Waterloo and arranges for an urgent message to be given to Susan with a note for Sylvia to call DCI Snapper on arrival, in London, but from somewhere where the conversation cannot be overheard.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:33:03 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything