!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 36441 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #600 on: June 27, 2019, 07:22:47 PM »
I love the fact that the head of finance is called Annette Gane!  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: June 27, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »
Hi Keith,

Good story. Thank you.

Just to say that, in the last bit, I would have thought that Catala would have invited the head of the STB to Sant Pau de Mar, or somewhere else in Izaro (between France and Spain) where she lives and not Port Regleun (Brittany).

Maybe she did but it seems a bit odd.

Anyway great stuff. Is there any motion of the Ocean expected? Sorry, family Forum, let's call it rough seas  :D.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #602 on: June 28, 2019, 11:11:29 PM »
 :hellosign: Thanks Keith, excellent story  :thumbsup:
“We’ve just received an important message from Lord Trevelver.”

(Blimey best be paying attention and concentrating... can someone remind me where West Porthsea is  :D)

Derek, don’t be too concerned where the exact location of Sonmel is. But since you asked it is located approximately longitude.... “what’s that, an urgent call from Lord Trevelver “... sorry must go, be back as soon as I can.  :beers:
Ok Keith nuf said   :beers:
      regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #603 on: June 29, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
Great storyline Keith (& others) and great updates & photos

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #604 on: June 29, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »
Great storyline Keith (& others) and great updates & photos

Seconded!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #605 on: July 04, 2019, 01:52:31 PM »
Hi Keith,

Good story. Thank you.

Just to say that, in the last bit, I would have thought that Catala would have invited the head of the STB to Sant Pau de Mar, or somewhere else in Izaro (between France and Spain) where she lives and not Port Regleun (Brittany).

Maybe she did but it seems a bit odd.

Anyway great stuff. Is there any motion of the Ocean expected? Sorry, family Forum, let's call it rough seas  :D.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Thank you Weave, my bad (as the young chaps say I believe). Izaro it will be! (earlier post amended).

:beers:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #606 on: July 04, 2019, 01:59:53 PM »
Final Festival Update - Episode IV - You've suffered enough!

Christian and Catala were standing on the top deck of the ferry, holding hands, as it eased away from the berth and began to exit the port. Finally clear of the breakwater the ferry turned to port and headed into the gathering gloom on the horizon.

Raising his stein of bier Christian turned and said “Prost, my dear”.

“Salud, Christian”, she replied, raising a large glass of white Rioja in response. “I have 2 surprises for you”.

Two surprises! He could guess at one, but what could possibly be the second? He felt his excitement rising.  :-[

“Firstly, there is to be a Sonmel Cerveza Festival. There are no definite arrangements yet but they will all be finalised in the coming weeks.

Secondly…. There will be a Sonmel Spanish wine festival as well!”

He hoped that his disappointment at the revelation of the second surprise did not show too much as he reacted to her revelation. “Well, that is fantastic – good for you!”

She smiled. “It’s getting rather cold up here on the open deck as we move away from the shelter of land. Let us go below and get warm together…”

He reacted instantly and led her to the stairwell, looking forward to the prospect of getting hot and bothered together.   :censored:

…and the ferry sailed smoothly away from the sunset….  :goggleeyes:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #607 on: July 04, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
Nicely done Keith, I think you should refer the more fervent readers to an appropriate Mills & Boon title for the happily ever after (there are about 4500 titles... don't ask me how I know this  :no:)

#408 - Island Of Secrets - Henrietta Reid, October 1969 

Seems an appropriate choice :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #608 on: July 04, 2019, 03:47:11 PM »
Very good, Chris (Weave).

On their arrival back on the UK mainland, Christian and Catala have to take a train to London (Paddington) and then a taxi to the rented house of the "Chelsea Girls". But will they stay there or has Christian other plans and, if so, will Catala go along with them? 8-)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #609 on: July 10, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »
Yes, indeed. It is the red-gold metal called in Ancient Greek, orichalcum, which in Rockall is known as evragar, which enables travel between such discontinuities in space and time. Derek had expected a revelation like this! 8-)

:hellosign: Thanks Chris now we have the answer  :D
       regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. The story is on Port Regleun IV - A new hope! 8-)

Careful!

The class 04 edged slowly down the steep line from the quarry.

“Take it carefully, this Orichalcum is very rare and somewhat dangerous. I’ve absolutely no idea what would happen if we were to crash with this on board.”

“Well, now that it’s existence on the island is known about at least we don’t have to do this under cover of darkness anymore.”

“You’re right, much easier in daylight. But yet another ONE of our secrets exposed. At least we have a few more left…”

Thanks to the unique geology on Sonmel, Orichalcum occurred naturally in quite thick seams. Originally mined many years ago it was thought that all seams on Sonmel had long since been exhausted. However, since buying the island the new owner had re-opened the quarry and expanded the original excavations. The primary purpose had been to quarry rock for numerous uses around the island, and possibly for export. By accident a new seam of Orichalcum had been discovered.

Once mined the Orichalcum would be first processed into a more usable material. One of the uses was the manufacture of “transdimensional boxes”. This particularly batch of boxes to be manufactured was due for eventually delivery across the globe to destinations as far flung as Japan, Spain, France and even Cornwall.

Manufacture of the boxes was performed in two stages. Initially the raw material would be processed and turned into thin plates. The fabricators would then assemble the plates into the boxes. Fabrication was primarily carried out from OUTSIDE of the boxes. Should a fabricator find himself (or herself) inside the box during the latter stages of assembly there was a high probability that they would be very late (or indeed, extremely early) finishing their shift that day.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:01:42 PM by keithbythe sea, Reason: Spelling »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #610 on: July 10, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
    Many thanks Keith, more secrets to uncover, this getting really interesting
        regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #611 on: July 10, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
Thank you very much for the great little story, the photo. and the slabs of orichalcum, great work. So much orichalcum has not been seen since Ancient Greek times, outside Rockall, where it is known as evragar, and still being mined. The rock formations of Sonmel must have a lot in common with those of the Republic of Rockall.

I like the matching yellow livery SWB brake van, too.

I do hope that the 'cloaking' of Sonmel is sufficient for the daleks not to be able to detect it. However, being very difficult to find, on Earth, I presume that Sonmel is safe. However, best to continue to keep Sonmel's existence and location top secret and that of its orichalcum deposits even more so. I hope the new owner has been fully briefed, in Whitehall, by Admiral Tregowan.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:41:33 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #612 on: July 13, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
Thanks for the update Keith, great photo... love that little loco and the matching brake van is ace

how much orichalcum does it take to make one box........

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #613 on: July 14, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
Transporting slabs of smelted Orichalcum on open wagons is, indeed, very wise. As stray molecules of the very rare metal slowly evaporate they can settle on the insides of vans and, over time, convert them into accidental “transdimensional boxes” with very unpredictable properties resulting in anyone or anything entering the van being transported to anywhere and at any time. The greater the deposition on the interior the larger the object transported and the further in space and time. Sylvia and Eli had been very sure to emphasis this warning passed on from Susan on their recent visit to the island for a 'holiday' with the "Girls". Admiral Tregowan had also sent detailed security advice about shilelding Orichalcum and its existence, via the Sonmel train ferry captain, which the Admiral had been given by his scientific advisor, Doctor Who, in Whitehall.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #614 on: July 15, 2019, 07:47:53 AM »
Thanks for the update Keith, great photo... love that little loco and the matching brake van is ace

how much orichalcum does it take to make one box........

Well, let me see, this will require detailed and complex calculations. Any errors could have serious consequences.

Pass me my slide rule (younger readers will need to search the inter web thingy for details of this ancient calculating device, also known by engineers as a “guessing stick”).

There follows much dark muttering, many scribbled figures and finally the answer is.....

..... of course, it depends how big a box you need!

(In your case Andrew, the answer is...”a very large amount!”) :D

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations