!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 36810 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #555 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:03 AM »
Hi Keith

Your Spanish 'class 44' or 318 looks like a very well detailed model which includes mirrors or or are they wind shields on the cabs. In Australia, the NSWGR class 44 is modelled by Gopher Models. Who made yours?

Webbo

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #556 on: June 06, 2019, 09:33:50 AM »
Hi Keith,

To clear up any confusion, yours is a 316 (ex 1600), 17 of which being lent to Spain by the US in 1955. Due to it's success, 24 of a slightly more powerful version 318 (ex 1800) (my model) were bought by Spain in 1958.

None of the 316's are in RENFE service now but several are used by private companies, including Vias, to this day.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS. Webbo, they are made by Arnold.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #557 on: June 06, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
Hi Webbo, Weave has kindly provided the answers in the above post.

It is a nicely detailed model, I think that they are mirrors rather than wind deflectors. It has directional lights too, which since my quick opening up of the bonnet seem to be working even better than factory supplied. If you are interested in acquiring one (with your skills Im sure that you could give it a NSW paint job), Rails of Sheffield are currently selling them at 67% discount.  :)

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #558 on: June 07, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion Keith. I had a look at the Hatton's 316 on their website. This is certainly the same loco as my 44, but many details are different, such as the arrangement of lights and grab irons. I don't think I can face modifying another loco requiring significant changes at the moment as my M630 required a whole lot more time than I anticipated. However, the price on Hattons 316 is a good one and if I were to extend myself to Spanish railways I would be sorely tempted to get one. My loco also has the mirrors fitted to yours.

Webbo

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #559 on: June 08, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »
"Get the beers in"

Encouraged by the success of the recent trip by the "Chelsea Girls" the Sonmel Tourist Board is planning another crowd pulling extravaganza. "Let's have a beer festival, look how successful that thing in Munich is. We'll follow the same theme, all beers will be German. If it works this time we could have different Country themes in the future."

The STB office work experience junior is put to the task of ensuring that there are sufficient supplies. Not lacking in enthusiasm a train load of various beers is imported via the newly opened ferry service from the mainland. Brought to the attention of the Head of Tourism, he is overheard to comment, "I thought that we were getting a few crates of selected beers..."

I picked these up recently as a job lot. They are generally in good condition but a little "grubby".

:helpneededsign:

Now,
a) do I clean them up in preparation for weathering? (Seems slightly bizarre).
Or
b) do I leave them as is ("already weathered")

I think that I know the right answer, but would be interested to hear what you all think.

PS - Weave, you're right the loco looks much better with a train behind it!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #560 on: June 08, 2019, 03:06:46 PM »
Sounds good, what time does the festival start?

As for weathering, Id only weather those wagons very lightly. I wouldnt bother cleaning them first though.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #561 on: June 08, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »
Hi Keith,

Wunderbar idea!

I'd leave 'em be but that's not really much help, just me wanting a beer train behind a loco and and a beer bottle in front of me  :). Am lazy like that.

Have already got my         I WAS
                                        VIAS           T-shirt though.

T'was white when I bought it  ;). Think it stands for Very Inebriated at Sonmel but others might have better ideas.

Great stuff.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #562 on: June 08, 2019, 09:07:16 PM »
That is, indeed, a very fine collection of German beer brand vans, Keith. I think that I have drunk virtually all those beers, at various times, in Germany.

I agree with Martin, I'd only very lightly weather the bodies with more weathering on the chassis. German private owner vans would have their bodies cleaned often.

I think a large party of German beer-loving Continental tourists will be on the next train ferry. 8-)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #563 on: June 09, 2019, 08:17:34 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign: Looking good as is Keith  :beers:
      regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #564 on: June 15, 2019, 07:00:59 AM »
Thank you for the advice chaps. Leave them as is it will be. (Although I may well have a light clean of the roof of a couple of them!) I will resist a light weathering of the frames for the time being. There is so much preparation required for the upcoming beer festival, and so much to do.  ;)

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #565 on: June 15, 2019, 07:57:29 AM »
Hi Keith,

Slight thread hijack but relevant to some of us. Sorry if silly question as might be common knowledge but just wondering, did the European beer wagons carry kegs/ barrels or crates of bottles, later cans, or both?

Anyway, good luck with the festival preparations. Looking forward to it.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #566 on: June 15, 2019, 08:08:46 AM »
Hi Keith,

Slight thread hijack but relevant to some of us. Sorry if silly question as might be common knowledge but just wondering, did the European beer wagons carry kegs/ barrels or crates of bottles, later cans, or both?

Anyway, good luck with the festival preparations. Looking forward to it.

A good question Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #567 on: June 15, 2019, 10:27:56 AM »
Hi Keith, my impression was that continental biers were exported in kegs as soon as there was sufficient demand and bottled, if required, on arrival by the importer. Some premium bottled beers may well, at least, initially, been exported as bottles, in crates but this was a very expensive way of shipping beer. Later, some may even have been exported in 'tanktainers' for local kegging and bottling by the importing distributor. (My information comes from market research I undertook in the 1980s, in Europe.) I think all canning was done at the destination by the importer, or was sub-contracted by them as not all breweries had canning lines. I hope that this helps.

I assume that the various premium quality Continental lagers, like Kronenbourg and Pilsner Urquell, distributed by the Alliance of West Country Breweries, are imported in UK standard kegs in branded PO train ferry vans.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #568 on: June 16, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »
What?, get more beer in?

An interesting diversion regarding how the beers are coming in (inside the wagons that is). Sonmel isn't sophisticated enough to have bottling or canning facilities. For the festival, imports are being shipped either in bottles or kegs depending on the brewery. This way they are "Festival Ready".
I don't know how historically accurate this is, but since Sonmel is a private island within an unspecified time zone both geographically and chronologically I can get away with most things.  :)

Carried away on waves of enthusiasm (rather than waves of beer) yet more beer arrives. Chris (in Prague) is this what you were thinking of regarding transportation by P&O?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #569 on: June 17, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »
since Sonmel is a private island within an unspecified time zone both geographically and chronologically I can get away with most things.  :)

An excellent wheeze, Keith.  I think that freelance modelling is a terrific idea.  Our US chums seem to be more inclined in that direction than we are nowadays.

I recall, years ago, reading about a freelance layout in the Model Railway Constructor.  If I remember correctly, it was called 'SIOG' and was set in an island near to Great Britain with its place names largely in old English.  It made a big impression on my young imagination.

Please keep these excellent posts coming...

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything