!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 33479 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #525 on: May 10, 2019, 08:47:13 AM »
Nice work on the ballast Keith ... I also liked the staining on the bridge piers  :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #526 on: May 10, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »
Talking of champagne (corks). The "Chelsea Girls" are enjoying their stay on the Isle of Sonmel. They are:

Sylvia (Trevelver) (big, brown eyes, long brunette / sometimes dyed auburn -- hair)
Eli (Elayne Guillou) - originally long, sometimes short, auburn hair
'Big' Belinda (blonde), round face
Suzi (long, dark wavy blonde hair, brown eyes),
Monique, French model (brunette)
Jenny (blonde), short, round face
Angela (curly, longhaired brunette) -- very methodical; the organiser
Amanda, new.

8-)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #527 on: May 13, 2019, 02:47:07 PM »
Long Train Running*

The Sonmel Tourist Board did not appreciate how many Chelsea Girls would be arriving. In a state of mild panic the longest train ever to run on Sonmel was rapidly assembled. Not knowing the exact requirements of the vacationing party, and keen to impress, Western Sultan is seen hauling an eclectic mixture of rolling stock.

We have a baggage car for storing no end of suitcases (I can't image the Chelsea Girls arriving with just overnight bags), together with many cases of various alcoholic beverages.

A First class carriage for use during daytime sight seeing excursions and a Buffet car for daytime canapes and aperitifs:

The sleeping car that the girls arrived in by ferry, and finally two Pullman dining cars for fine dining experiences whilst on the move. Whilst the colourful harbourside cottages look very appealing their catering facilities are rather limited. As of yet Sonmel does not have a restaurant. Like so many things on the island this is at "planning and pre-construction" phases.

I really must invest in some better quality lighting for photographs.

Thank you for looking.

*Doobie Brothers if you were wondering.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #528 on: May 13, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »
Nice to see ma long train running Keith.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #529 on: May 13, 2019, 04:41:20 PM »
Nice to see ma long train running Keith.

Seconded!

A very fine selection of coaches, Keith. Very wise to include a CCT for all their suitcases at the front. They will be accompanied by their close male friends but two Pullman cars should be more than sufficient. 8-) Still it allows the authorities to run a full-length train. The "Western" has been suitably cleaned and polished for the occasion and looks in full control of its train.

The first photo. shows the majestic cliffs very well.

[Look out for the "Girls" in the post, next week, Keith.]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:49:27 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #530 on: May 13, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »
Splendid, Keith.

Being an old-fashioned sort of chap I love the Pullmans.

Tickety-tonk.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #531 on: May 13, 2019, 10:11:42 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
  All looking really superb Keith.
      regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #532 on: May 20, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
Warning Adult Content - some viewers may find the following post unsuitable

The Chelsea Girls were keen to see the local statue of the "Cant Cove" Mermaid. This has now been permanently located close to the harbour. Local sculptor Pablo Moore is quoted as being "well happy" with the location.

A photo opportunity was capitalised upon by the Sonmel tourist board. The girls were happy to pose, some dressed very appropriately for the excellent weather conditions.

In the second photo the newly arrived dining car can be seen in the background crossing over the harbour bridge.

As many have commented, taking photos can seriously highlight the many unfinished features...

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #533 on: May 20, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
Splendid, Keith.

Tickety-tonk.

John

Especially for you John... (I like them too and seem to have a growing collection).

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #534 on: May 20, 2019, 02:00:55 PM »
Excellent photographs Keith.
Those Pullmans do look good - maybe something for the future at Trepol Bay.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #535 on: May 20, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »
Many thanks, Keith, for these excellent photos. The "Chelsea Girls" seem to have brought along Cant Cove's official photographer and his charming assistant for the photo. sessions.

Whilst to the untrained eye, the statue of Sonmel's lovely mermaid may seem to be just that, the "Girls" know that the mermaid is real but has the power to appear to be a statue. So they were able to chat to her. They were very glad to be able to wear their summer clothes thanks to the mild, sunny climate of the Isle. They found the harbour cottages very pretty.

They were very pleased to see that the familiar BR SR Green RFO had safely arrived to take them back to Cornwall via Devon when their relaxing break comes to an end. They were also interested to see the British "Pullman" cars of the "Sonmel Belle" which reminded them of the "Cornish Belle", which runs from Waterloo to Penmayne and back via Wadebridge, Okehampton, and Exeter and first run back in the 1920s when the Dowager Duchess of Trevelver was a young debutante. Lord and Lady Trevelver and their friends are regular travellers on the midday "Cornish Belle", three coaches plus the Observation Car forming the Penmayne portion.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #536 on: May 20, 2019, 03:41:58 PM »
Excellent photographs Keith.
Those Pullmans do look good - maybe something for the future at Trepol Bay.

Thank you Martin. Part one of the lighting upgrade in the train shed was completed today and it has made a real difference (not much natural light today, very dull here). I've changed my GU10 spotlight bulbs to LED daylight bulbs. As well as giving better light they have gone from using 50 watts to 5 watts. Now, what can I buy with all that money I'm saving...  :hmmm:

Yes, I really like the Pullmans, an opportunity from more through running? Not too complicated though I have trouble keeping up with all of the parallel universes on here.  :worried:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #537 on: May 20, 2019, 03:45:38 PM »
Thank you Chris. The Girls are having a "truly fabulous" time.  :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #538 on: May 20, 2019, 03:49:59 PM »
Alas, I have yet to build my 3D printed Pullman Observation Car although I have most of the parts. In any case, it would have to go to Gideon for painting. However, I do have some old style (1920s?) Graham Farish British Pullmans, including one brake end that could run 'through', this summer, to Sonmel via the new train ferry. (I also have some of the later Metro-Cammel ones, also for the "Cornish Belle" in later years, behind diesel locos.) One of the "Chelsea Girls" will win the annual "Miss Cornish Belle' contest when I can get around to arranging everything for the pictures!

I also have plans to make some posters for the train ferry services, later.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #539 on: May 20, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »
Splendid, Keith.

Tickety-tonk.

John

Especially for you John... (I like them too and seem to have a growing collection).

Thank you very much, Keith.  Quite my kind of thing.

I'm sitting in a First Class car (always a 'car' for the Pullman Co.!) having light luncheon and looking out at the harbour and pretty cottages.  It's all jolly agreeable old chap.

Thanks again.

Chin-chin

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £90.00
Below Goal: £70.00
Site Currency: GBP
56% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything