!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sonmel  (Read 36528 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Sonmel
« Reply #510 on: March 18, 2019, 05:55:13 PM »
Very nice looking bridges Keith. Look after your health too,pleased to hear your getting better.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #511 on: March 19, 2019, 04:08:10 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
     Seconded on both the above post's
       regards Derek

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #512 on: March 20, 2019, 07:27:08 AM »
 :thankyousign: Martin, Chris & Derek. Things certainly start to look better as the small details are added. I have a lot of them still to add... :)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #513 on: April 29, 2019, 07:24:42 AM »
 :hellosign: back in action after a longish holiday.

I see that there is lots of progress to catch up on around the forum. Everyone has been very busy. 👍

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #514 on: April 29, 2019, 11:42:51 AM »
Very glad to 'see' you back, Keith. Not long now until June when I hope to be more active with work on Cant Cove and agreeing, describing and photographing more 'through' trains with all those interested,

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #515 on: April 30, 2019, 06:59:55 AM »
Very glad to 'see' you back, Keith. Not long now until June when I hope to be more active with work on Cant Cove and agreeing, describing and photographing more 'through' trains with all those interested,

Thank you Chris. The eye is holding up well, next visit to the consultant is scheduled for the end of May.

Ah, the challenge of through running. Not sure that I am capable of such accuracy! However, I do have stock that would be common with alternative Cornwall and the French / Spanish border region. Perhaps an infrequent ferry service from Sonmel could be initiated?   :hmmm:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #516 on: May 01, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »
Permanent Way Success

Amazing! After 3 months of train inactivity and some serious ballast work, trains ran straight away with no problems  :claphappy:

A Class 22 hauls away the last of the ballast wagons...

But what's this? The 04 shunter is also seen moving 2 newly arrived coaches. The first is a standard Pullman, but the second has an unusual colour for the roof.
It would seem that we have some rogue stock arrived from "le continent"

Where could this have come from? {Answers on a postcard, no prizes involved, the editor's decision is final, all trademarks acknowledged, legal stuff applies, etc. etc}

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #517 on: May 01, 2019, 03:41:26 PM »

Where could this have come from?

France?? :laugh: Going by the windows and the smaller profile I would venture perhaps a Minitrix or Lima item. :-\

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #518 on: May 01, 2019, 07:51:48 PM »
Thanks for the excellent photos., Keith.

The mystery coach is a LIMA 320333 Blue and White CIWL Pullman No. 4161. No. 4161 has arrived, via train ferry, of course. No. 4161 is, normally, part of the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Brittany - Cornwall (via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry) service. However, outside the Summer timetable, the coaches are available for charter. No. 4161 has been hired, via Marielle Kerbriant, the SW England CIWL representative, to take the "Chelsea Girls" for week's holiday in Sonmel. They have booked one of the charming pastel-painted harbourside cottages for their stay and are looking forward to exploring the island and seeing the mermaid, a relative of Cant Cove's own Morveren.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #519 on: May 02, 2019, 07:11:20 AM »
Well done NN, it has Lima marked on its bottom. As to coming from France, Chris has provided more detailed information suggesting it has come from either Alternative Brittany or Alternative Cornwall.

Chris, the Sonmel tourist board, recently formed on 1st May  :), is delighted to welcome the Chelsea Girls. No expense will be incurred spared in ensuring  that they have a memorable visit  ;). The board will endeavour to reveal all of the delights of the island.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #520 on: May 03, 2019, 10:19:07 PM »
Well done NN, it has Lima marked on its bottom. As to coming from France, Chris has provided more detailed information suggesting it has come from either Alternative Brittany or Alternative Cornwall.

Chris, the Sonmel tourist board, recently formed on 1st May  :), is delighted to welcome the Chelsea Girls. No expense will be incurred spared in ensuring that they have a memorable visit  ;). The board will endeavour to reveal all of the delights of the island.

Thanks, Keith, that's excellent news. I'm sure that 'Girls' will have a wonderful time. They are looking forward to meeting the official tourist guide. 8-)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2019, 07:30:29 AM »
Happy Star Wars Day everybody  :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #522 on: May 04, 2019, 11:20:37 AM »
Thanks, Keith. I wish you the same.

I have some basic Dornaplas kits already spraypainted ready to construct a short terrace of houses with gardens which, on a removable base, will cover the Hex Frog Juicer. I plan to build the short terrace of railwaymen's cottages, inspired by a much longer terrace behind Wadebridge station for Cant Cove, this summer. They won't be in the same bright pastel colours of the very attractive terrace at Sonmel but will have plastered and plain stone walls. One will be for the Cant Cove signalman and the other, which was for the loco. crew when Cant Cove was a terminus and the loco. shed in daily use, will house the local doctor (MD) who is a friend of the local mermaid, Morveren. (There will be a future story about them.)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #523 on: May 07, 2019, 07:22:21 AM »
A clean sweep

Many thanks to Train Waiting (thank you John), and Webbo for the informative information regarding track cleaning.

Iíve just cleaned the track using contact cleaner (Halfords rather than WD40), but thatís simply because I had a can of the Halfords stuff. Really good looking results and quick and easy too.

My method is:

Spray some contact cleaner into a milk bottle top
Dip a champagne cork into the pool of cleaner
Rub wet cork along track

I feel that further research is required as to which champagne cork is the best.  :)

PS Johnís excellent post regarding engine cleaning is a step too far for me.  :uneasy:

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #524 on: May 07, 2019, 08:12:24 AM »
Iíve just cleaned the track using contact cleaner (Halfords rather than WD40), but thatís simply because I had a can of the Halfords stuff. Really good looking results and quick and easy too.

My method is:

Spray some contact cleaner into a milk bottle top
Dip a champagne cork into the pool of cleaner
Rub wet cork along track

I feel that further research is required as to which champagne cork is the best.  :)

Many thanks, Keith.  I use a similar method, but with a little piece of cloth over the cork for the first clean.  Then just the cork for the second clean.

The research is continuing, here at the Table-Top Railway.  Champagne corks are good (those from Cava and suchlike are best avoided, in my view), but better are those from English Sparkling Wine.  'Nyetimber' and 'Chapel Down' are excellent and generally available.  Perhaps the best, so far, is from 'Leckford Estate', exclusive to Waitrose.

Happy track cleaning... and cork hunting.

Best wishes

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations