!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Eaglescliffe (Circa early 80's)  (Read 286 times)

Offline Jonner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13878
    • Awards
Eaglescliffe (Circa early 80's)
« on: April 07, 2020, 01:04:06 PM »
Hi Everyone,

As mentioned in the planning topic earlier on, I can now say that the construction aspect of this layout has began.
Not much to see at the moment just one of the eight boards needed looking like an upturned breadboard, but it's a start, Cheers

Offline The Cuckoo

• Awards
Re: Eaglescliffe (Circa early 80's)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
 Great to see that you have now started this project, Iím looking forward to watching its progress  :thumbsup:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 07:56:55 PM »
Hi,

You gotta start somewhere and nice and neat looking woodwork is always good.

Looking forward to your build

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Jonner

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 11:08:00 PM »
Hi,

You gotta start somewhere and nice and neat looking woodwork is always good.

Looking forward to your build

Cheers weave  :beers:
Great to see that you have now started this project, Iím looking forward to watching its progress  :thumbsup:
Thanks for the interest, The Cuckoo knows the length of time I have talked about doing this layout.

Not the best of starts though as little did I know at that time the one in the picture along with the other three longer boards all being made 50mm too long.
I bought all the softwood and ply years ago and just presumed they had been cut to the stated dimensions.(Yes I Know, I should of checked before I started) :doh:

Anyway I think it took me just as long to alter them than it did to make them. As I hoped to get two long and one short wide board from one full sheet of plywood
it means the wide boards are 50mm too narrow so now I require another sheet when the current restrictions are eased (got to stick to the original plan you see).

So the progress up to date is I now have six boards which still  need cross bearers adding when I know where the position of the point motors are going and four
end plates which will be used to store and transport the boards in pairs.

As always though just as I began to get the project underway Ive had to spend the last two days fitting a new toilet and repairing the rot under the ceramic tiled floor in the bathroom due to the leaking cistern.

The weekend should see some legs being made and fixed to the baseboards if the backflap hinges I've ordered arrive in time.

Cheers, John

Offline Jonner

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 10:10:54 PM »
Hi everyone.

Here is an update to show how baseboard construction is coming along. Last weekend I managed to order and collect a new sheet of plywood
from a local timber merchant cut to the required sizes in order to replace the pieces I found to be too narrow when starting the build.
New boxes of screws,nuts,bolts and washers where also collected from Toolstation on the same day.

All eight boards have now been built minus any cross bracing until I find exactly where the pointwork is going to be, six of the boards have a pair of hinged legs
attatched and there will be a pair of legs that will be a push fit at the centre joint of each of the end boards. I will be hoping to make these boards fold over on top of
each other. All looks good on paper.

Second image depicts how the two pair of longer boards should sit on the boot floor of the V70, the two pair of end boards then being able to rest on top width ways.
Again all looks good on paper :hmmm:
John

Offline Jonner

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 11:25:34 PM »
Just thought I would add a copy of the plan from the planning thread for a quick reference

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 11:47:38 PM »
 :thankyousign:

Thanks for reposting your track plan, I was just about to go looking for it. Interesting layout I am looking forward to following the build

Keep Safe and Well

Mike H 8)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal