!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Berescombe  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Ashio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
Berescombe
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:00:53 PM »
Good evening all.

I thought that I would take the plunge and actually post my layout progress on a forum, and I have chosen your lovely selves to have exclusive access  :sorrysign:

My first disclaimer is that I currently have an 11 month old son and feel that this will be a long term project so please bare with me as post frequency could slow down significantly at times.

This will be my first layout and I intend to make it my main big one. I'm not of the ilk to make, sell and move on to the next as I think that I will enjoy just staring at the finished article (whenever that will be) and I also think the answer for me is to expand on the permanent stage 1 part of the layout using removable boards that I can stow away. It will be set in the mid to late 1930's and based on the GWR as I spent the early years of my life reletively close to Didcot and the rest of them down here in Devon so it holds as close a link as I can really get for my generation.

I didn't have a name for this layout until just last night, I think I shall call it Berescombe as I live on Beresford street and I got a fair amount of the track plan inspiration from pictures of Ilfracombe before they started tearing it all up (and maybe some from Penzance and Newquay :doh:). I plan on the train control to be DCC and also to take advantage of ABC braking (though I will include an override switch for all ABC sections for more in depth control) as generally this will be a solo operational layout, so it will be a good failsafe if I get distracted. The points will all be traditional mimic panel switch controlled as I reckon I will enjoy the hands on approach of throwing switches.

The first section (and permanently set up) bit of my layout will be my starting point and works out to be 8'x2' in the horizontal and it comes down on the right by 52" (this is also 2' wide). We moved into the new house last summer and I managed to blag the missus to let me have the converted loft space as my geek room, unfortunately I won't be using the whole space for my railway as I stupidly have several other hobbies that also need a place to live.
I have generated my plan on SCARM and attach an image of the plan and a few rough 3D images from it below.

Any ideas, comments or improvements would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:30:14 PM by Ashio, Reason: Resizing images »
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline doncarlos

• Awards
Re: Berescombe
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:26:18 PM »
It looks like a great plan so far with plenty of watching the trains go by and shunting potential. I'd suggest planning your future extensions now as any small things that you might want to tweak will be far easier done before laying the track. I have mine in the geek room and I've managed to squeeze storage for my other hobbies (Warhammer and airsofting) underneath, ikea furniture is great for under the layout.

Offline Ashio

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
Doncarlos,

its good to see a fellow airsofter and tabletop wargamer, I also do 40K and some of the more speciaised games. My plan is to use the area under the table to store some of my extenstion boards and some cassettes when I get around to building them. The rest of the room contains book shelves, work table and gaming table as well as more storage.

The removable extension boards will sit on the gaming table so I have combined the hobbies really. Thanks for the advice about future planning, I already have these extra boards planned out in my head and reckon that the split of mainlines should give me a good extended wye junction onto a roundy roundy.
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:35:50 AM »
I think it's great and it reminds my of the great Cyril Freezer's plans of the 1960s.

Go for it, mate!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »

My first disclaimer is that I currently have an 11 month old son and feel that this will be a long term project

I'm sure your son would like to think so! :worried: ;)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »
Hi Ashio

Looks good to me!

Two minor aesthetic suggestions....

Have the single track branch exit under a bridge rather than a tunnel.  This would make it look less like a device for a model railway and more realistic.  (I guess there are probably prototype examples, but even so....!)

Put your main platforms on a slight curve, or at any event not parallel to the backscene.  What tends to happen next is a row of low-relief shops and houses (often Metcalfe) along the back wall, which again is a bit hackneyed and shouts "model"!

A final point is just to be sure you want all those slips and three-ways. Tricky to lay and wire, and less reliable running than toe-to-toe points.

Good luck with it,

Cheers  Jon  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:15:08 AM by PostModN66, Reason: wrong name! »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
Looks a great start & lots of operating interest, I had the same thought about the more complicated points, though that is probably just down to my lack of confidence with wiring etc.

Look forward to seeing how it develops and how well you manage to keep small hands from "helping"

Cheers,
Andrew
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline Ashio

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 11:04:56 AM »
Cheers, I have already built the baseboard so will post some more on that once I upload the photo's. I think I will use the forum album for the phots from now on as photobucket stored photo's dont show through works firewall and that is currently annoying me, even though I posted them.
As for "helping hands" controls, I am truely contemplating putting a lock on the door in future, but then I have to think of the compromise of having him in there to getting him interested and a good balance between.

Have the single track branch exit under a bridge rather than a tunnel.  This would make it look less like a device for a model railway and more realistic.  (I guess there are probably prototype examples, but even so....!)

I take it you mean the tunnel at the top of the layout, exit from the station? How do you reckon I could make this look realistic as the whole lot is still on scene, rather than examples I have seen where said bridge hides the access to a backscene? Bridge in front of a tunnel mouth maybe?

Put your main platforms on a slight curve, or at any event not parallel to the backscene.  What tends to happen next is a row of low-relief shops and houses (often Metcalfe) along the back wall, which again is a bit hackneyed and shouts "model"!

I had been toying with this idea and slightly curving them up into the corner towards the backscene as this may also allow easier viewing angles into the station (which I may put a roof over the end 1/3 or so). I plan to stay away from metcalf as I personally dont like the look of paper buildings, but you are right in the plan to have low relief buildings across the backscene. I am thinking to scratch build at least some if not all buildings to allow me to add even the slightest curves in it away from the wall to try to give the illusion of depth and the free flow of a real environment.

A final point is just to be sure you want all those slips and three-ways. Tricky to lay and wire, and less reliable running than toe-to-toe points.

I had come up with a plan not including the slips and 3 way's but found that this massively reduced the platform area which is currently 48" (8 coaches + tender loco) and shorter sidings in the goods yard. I think I will bite the bullet and go for teh greater complication for the greater good of the plan and operation. Luckily I have been doing electronics since I was 14 so I am not too worried about wiring it all up and actually feel that the more complicated it all is the more fun it will be (I know i'm wierd....I see electronics like a cryptic puzzle).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:10:15 AM by Ashio »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »
Mate I love complicated trackwork at station throats, and I also consider the wiring of such an interesting challenge,  rather than a chore.

Go for it is the word from this camp!

Mind you, I do agree with Jon in putting in a slight curve or a slight diagonal slant to avoid the straight townscape look at the back.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:27 PM »
I was imagining putting a curved corner to the backscene and running it under the bridge through the backscene as you describe.  This would also be good in that curved corners look cool  8)  In fact I'm warming to my own idea here - if you made the curve of the backscene follow the curve of the track in this corner, just in front of it, you could provide a triangular hole to at least get your hand up from below and retrieve derailed stock!

Bridge then tunnel would - I am guessing here - look better if you don't want to do this.

If you are scratch building low relief buildings then with non-parallel tracks you could take the opportunity to make them slightly skew.   If you look at my layouts you can see a lot of "flat" low relief buildings, so you might say "physician heal thyself"....but I would certainly look to do this if starting a new layout.

Fair comment on the slips....my thought process is, if you really need them to make the layout work then have them, if not don't, just to reduce potential sources of trouble.

Cheers  Jon  :)

“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Ashio

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 08:01:07 PM »
I'll take the curved idea under serious consideration as that would look smart, trouble is as you will see from the phots in this post is that it is built under a sloped roof so its going to be tricky enough to fit the correct looking backscene without trying to work out angles to cut into a curved board etc...but then it may be worth the extra effort.

I have built the frame work out of the least bowed 2"x1" timber that I could find, they are spaced at about 11" intervals if I remember correctly and the legs are 2"x"2 timber. I have made the baseboard pretty low compared to many people's layouts to try to make the most of the space due to the sloped ceiling. Ideally this height means that I can make the future extension boards with the same frame work and sit them on my space gaming table (also in the phots below). The loft hatch door did get in the way of construction but I have managed to get around this by re jigging the design of the 2" deep board as seen and also designed it so that I could use 1"x1" timber to support the board and allow the door to still fully swing open (not shown in the phots but it's a criss cross above where the door swings open now).

I have used 9mm Birch Plywood for the baseboard after extensive research across the various forums and blogs. I have to say that it really is worth the extra few quid over external grade ply as there are no gaps or filler added in the layers so this should add to the strength and longevity.
The image below shows a train length test on the old design of station, since then I have been able to re design the approach to take the platforms from 38" to 48" which will allow me to get a loco plus 8 coaches in. I know those are BR coaches in the photo but I managed to pick them up practically new for £12 each so I think I will give them a respray and find a supplier of GWR shirtbutton logo transfers.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:30:45 PM by Ashio, Reason: Resizing images »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 08:21:48 PM »
Looking very good. I guess with the name Berescombe (very nice name) it is somewhere in Devon? It does look a bit like Ilfracombe and certainly will have plenty of operating interest.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
It's all looking rather good :thumbsup:

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:58:11 PM »

Offline Shaun Harvey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 10:58:22 PM »
I think this looks like a great plan bur i certainly think if you can avoid the straight platforms even just a little bit you will be rewarded and it will look like a railway and not a train set. I see too many layouts where all the tracks run parallel with the edge of the baseboard and its a bit tedious. The platfroms might ge a bit harder to make but you be rewarded when they are done.

This is an older pic of my George Street II platforms. I'm so pleased i put a bit of a curve into them.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Keep up the good work. I like your plan, its going to be a good one. Keep the pics coming.

Shaun
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:59:46 PM by Shaun Harvey »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal