!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Averingcliffe - a rough idea  (Read 2491 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
New Averingcliffe - a rough idea
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:43:46 AM »
I am in the very early stages of planning a new layout. I have an area 140 inches by 55 inches, which is part of the spare bedroom that I partitioned off a long time ago, by building a stud wall. The left wall is concrete block, the right wall is stone, (about a foot thick!), the back wall is drylined and the opposite wall is my stud wall with the door. The layout has to be in three sections, the left leg, centre piece and right leg. I have designed the layout so that, if necessary, the three sections can work independently of each other, when it comes to be dismantled. I am thinking of making a baseboard consisting of a plywood/foam/plywood sandwich, partly so I can have the harbour and beach cutouts, along with possible terrain variations. All track will be Kato. As I said, this is a very rough idea for a layout, so I would appreciate any comments, ideas and constructive criticism from you more experienced forumites as to the workability of the plan, bearing in mind that I am not too particular about realism - I am a 'rule 1' man!   :thankyousign:. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Kris

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New Averingcliffe - a rough idea
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:00:17 AM »
To my eyes there is quite a bit problem.

Once you get on to either of the end loops, you can't easily get back to central circuits without stopping and reversing. This will to my eyes be a real pain.

A secondary small problem is the beach halt. There would appear to be room for only half a coach on the platform, and there is likely to be big gaps due to the curve.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:42:10 AM »
A potential difficulty, Dave, is your ability to reach the back 3 sides of your layout. Unless you are super tall I would not be making any part of your layout to require more than a 3' reach and preferably less than 2' or so.

I agree with Kris also that you will not be able to include the trackage in your two end loops in any grand loop that extends to the limits of your available space.

To me it looks like a design that accommodates Kato (and in indeed any set track type) in that your curves are all very regular and not as interesting as they might be.

Webbo

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
Kris & Webbo - thanks for the input. It is only a rough idea, so I will be doing some more thinking  ???. As I work, (I use the word loosely  ;)), nights, I have plenty of time to think about it - I might decide to have one complete part, rather than the three parts shown and hope I, (or should I say SWMBO), do not decide to relocate to the UK in a year or two.  :hmmm:. David.
David.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »
I have redesigned 'Averingcliffe' and am looking for opinions/help/constructive criticism. The layout will be approximately 12 ft long x 4' 6" at its widest and about 2' 9" in the middle section. The plan is only a thought at the moment, as the actual track plan will depend on the pieces of track I have already acquired and the pieces I need to buy. I originally intended to have three independent modules, but that is impractical, so it will be one layout, on three separate baseboards, bolted together. I intend using Kato track, (especially after seeing a video on how to make 'flexible' pieces), so I will be able to try various combinations before I make anything permanent.  ;).  I will be starting the woodwork tomorrow,  ???, so it will be a while before I actually get to any track laying.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks. David.  :beers:
David.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:01 AM »
David, I think this latest plan will work much better for you than the first plan.

Are you planning to build this layout on one level for the track? This is easiest, but less visually interesting. The trackage area behind the tenements lends itself to being raised above the foreground tracks I think. Personally, I'm a fan of more scenery rather than less in layouts. I suggest that the layout piece in the bottom left is a bit of an unusual construction and could be turned into a hillside (no track) sloping down to a beach or small cliff that doesn't necessarily have to be parallel to your baseline along the bottom. When placing track you might ask yourself the question as to whether it makes topographical sense.

Just thoughts
Webbo

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 02:19:02 AM »
David, I think this latest plan will work much better for you than the first plan.  Thanks

Are you planning to build this layout on one level for the track? I am thinking of raising the track along the left and onto the back straight, but nothing firm yet
I'm a fan of more scenery rather than less in layouts. Likewise
I suggest that the layout piece in the bottom left is a bit of an unusual construction and could be turned into a hillside (no track) sloping down to a beach or small cliff That part I was thinking of making into a small dock area - boat in water, crane on dockside, but there does not appear to be room to put in a straight bit - still contemplating   :hmmm:

Just thoughts Appreciated

Having started putting bits of 2" x 1" (in old money), together for the support framework, I think I might knock about 3 inches of the depth of the middle bit, take it down to about 30 inches. As I said, it is all a bit "see how we go", but I have to get cracking, (that Bob has a lot to answer for  ;D), as SWMBO is complaining about all the timber restricting the width of the hallway  :). David.
David.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:31:12 AM »
I like the idea of a dockside on the left hand side of your layout. I wonder if you could make some space for one by running a spur from somewhere near the left hand end of your station down into the left hand bottom corner rather than having the track enter the area from above? Your waterfront could then be on a bit of a diagonal and you could have a longer section of straightish track down there. Perhaps shift the station a bit to the right?

Webbo
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:20:37 AM by Webbo, Reason: I meant \'left\' rather than \'right\' »

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 02:53:53 AM »
Webbo  :thankyousign: It makes sense to have the dock area, (bottem left), fed from the station straight - it will allow me to raise the track earlier and/or make more interesting scenery - not sure why I brought the line in from the left hand side - just goes  to show that when you put another pair of eyes onto something, something will be seen that was not originally seen, (if you see what I mean  :)). David.
David.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 03:06:16 AM »
Interesting stuff! Another one following along here in Australia.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:12 AM »
Yes, David

I meant bottom left for the dock area. Brain glitch on my part. I've fixed it in my last post so that only you, me, George, and possibly Railsquid will ever know of my mistake as most everyone else is asleep.

Webbo

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 04:46:25 AM »
Yes, David

I meant bottom left for the dock area. Brain glitch on my part. I've fixed it in my last post so that only you, me, George, and possibly Railsquid will ever know of my mistake as most everyone else is asleep.

Webbo

Except for me! :P

This looks like a very exciting project, David. I really like the second track plan. I originally designed a number of things like your first one and got set straight, so don't feel too bad. ;)

A couple of things strike me about the project as is.

The first is that the read section could be difficult to reach for cleaning and adjusting, which you will need to do quite a bit of. I'm 6'3" and have ape arms and still struggle not to knock things down in between at a depth of above 30". I can't quite make out the middle section depth there but you may want to toy around and make absolutely sure you're comfortable getting to it. Adding a little height towards the rear will help but don't go crazy as gradient can be more enemy than friend in n gauge.

The second thing that strikes me is your comment about SWMBO potentially wanting to move. As someone who just had to move after starting an overly ambitious layout, I wish I had made a smaller layout and enjoyed myself. The worst scenario is spending 1000s of $ and then having to move and rip it up and discard a great deal of hard work and expensive products. I might timidly suggest a much less ambitious project until you and SWMBO are certain you'll be living where you are, to get you playing trains right away. Part of what is amazing about n gauge is how much you can fit in a small space. I'm working on a 4'x2' layout and a 2'x1' Inglenook/shelf layout and am amazed at the options I have! You could build a 2'x4', another 2'x4' when you finish the first and a 2'x1' or 6'x2' and put them all together in stages, as well. I'm sorry if this isn't the kind of feedback you are looking for; I just wish I had started smaller and have read many other stories of people saying the same!

All he best and looking forward to seeing how this progresses (especially if it does stay this ambitious!)

-Philip
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 05:40:46 AM »
Hi Philip, thanks for the comments. The middle section will now be a maximum depth of 30 inch and the back wall will be elevated to some extent. I can not see us moving back to the UK for about 2 years, or longer, (SWMBO has been a bit down lately, as we have had to have two of our treasured family pets put to sleep over the last few weeks but like most bereavements, she is slowly coming back to 'normality'), so that is not a big consideration now and the layout as envisaged will be in three parts bolted together, so it will break down a bit without too much hassle. I am at the moment also doing a 4' x 2' coffe table layout which I am well on with. This was my original project and it has turned out to be a way of experimenting with scenery and wiring etc. I hit the UK retirement age in 4 months and the Irish retirement age is, I think, 66, so only 16 months to go  :claphappy:. I may well go part time in a few months, so I will have more time and if I wait til I get the UK pension, I will not loose any money - if I am working things out right!   ??? . David.
David.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
Hi Philip, thanks for the comments. The middle section will now be a maximum depth of 30 inch and the back wall will be elevated to some extent. I can not see us moving back to the UK for about 2 years, or longer, (SWMBO has been a bit down lately, as we have had to have two of our treasured family pets put to sleep over the last few weeks but like most bereavements, she is slowly coming back to 'normality'), so that is not a big consideration now and the layout as envisaged will be in three parts bolted together, so it will break down a bit without too much hassle. I am at the moment also doing a 4' x 2' coffe table layout which I am well on with. This was my original project and it has turned out to be a way of experimenting with scenery and wiring etc. I hit the UK retirement age in 4 months and the Irish retirement age is, I think, 66, so only 16 months to go  :claphappy:. I may well go part time in a few months, so I will have more time and if I wait til I get the UK pension, I will not loose any money - if I am working things out right!   ??? . David.

Sounds perfect, David! Just wanted to offer the advice I wish I had gotten lol

And I'm sorry about your pets :( It can make your life feel suddenly much more empty and lonely when a pet dies.

Congrats on reaching retirement :) Hope you enjoy it!

-Philip
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal