!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The end of an era: Last 1500t from “Big K” to Drax  (Read 1339 times)

Offline willike1958

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12585
    • Awards
The end of an era: Last 1500t from “Big K” to Drax
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »
I'm sure you're all aware of the closure of the 'Big K' (Kellingley Colliery) marks the end deep coal mining in the UK.
While this doesn't mean the end of coal being moved by rail as significant quantities will continue to be shifted from ports to power stations in the next few years, here are some photos taken shortly after the official closure date on Xmas eve of what is likely to be the last ever coal train loaded from a UK deep mine bunker.

My old mate, Andy (Mort) Mortimer*, (now ex) chief surveyor of Big K, poses next to 66118 before loading commences.
*who agreed to me posting these photos on the proviso that I credit him as "Kellingley's best ever surveyor"!!!!!

The train moves slowly forward through the gloom of the loading bunker.

Full wagons emerge into the meagre daylight. The sun definitely isn't shining today.

66118 runs round its train.

The night falls on Big K.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:49:28 PM by willike1958 »

Offline willike1958

• Awards
Re: The end of an era: Last 1500t from “Big K” to Drax
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:45:11 AM »
The now defunct Kellingley Colliery now has its own website which includes many photos of potential interest for anyone wanting to model a modern mining complex:  http://www.kellingleycolliery.co.uk

Offline FourWheelCoach

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »
It says a lot that it was hauled by an American diesel loco owned and operated by German State Railways.

Offline willike1958

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »
Indeed it does. But don't get me going about the issue of privatisation !! One of the reasons why I quit the railways and left the country. I'd be interested to know when the last UK (or Romanian!) built locos hauled HAAs out of a pit yard. Any offers?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything