!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 233260 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3450 on: March 24, 2020, 07:39:59 AM »
Excellent. Is it me? But with the shape of the dam wall it looks as if that water is flowing uphill.  :uneasy:

Looking very good Andrew.  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3451 on: March 24, 2020, 07:40:27 AM »
Morning folks, feels a bit surreal to be posting this after the PM's announcement last night - I think model railway fans are better equipped for staying at home than most, but look after yourselves and stay safe
Hattons are putting up the shutters, so even railway modeling might be difficult.  Ebay seems to be running oK at the moment.  As for staying safe, the government's estimate was that 80% of the population will get the virus, so all 'staying safe' is really doing is putting off the evil day.  Happy days.   :no:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:41:30 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3452 on: March 24, 2020, 08:17:32 AM »
Andrew

That dam wall and overflow  is looking, dare I say it, damn fine .

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3453 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:50 AM »

Through the power of Robbie and his talents with rolling stock, the rolling stock of William Hally lives on in Perthshire  :)

I ordered a set of transfers up, but as I couldn't wait to see them, asked for him to do 3 as Ready to Run

These wagons look absolutely terrific, Andrew.

I'm going to find out about this supplier; I expect Mr Bing will be a good place to start.

Thank you for these super photographs and fascinating updates.

Best wishes.

John 
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3454 on: March 24, 2020, 08:48:43 AM »
thanks for the kind comments folks

John, the wagons were created by Robbie Burns of Robbies Rolling Stock - his website is not always kept up to date, a quick email to him will reveal what he has "under the counter" so to speak .... just remember to ask for them in N gauge (you don't need to know how I know that  :doh:) - he does a good line in sartirical offerings too .... as well as the Trumpton fire brigade wagon set that sometimes appear on the forum  :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3455 on: March 24, 2020, 09:48:36 AM »
Off topic a little (what - me? :angel:) that greenmax kit instantly reminded me of some visits I paid to Finsbury Park diesel depot (34G) in my spotting days.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3456 on: March 24, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
   Thanks for the updates Andrew, dam fine modelling sir  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3457 on: March 25, 2020, 06:22:52 AM »
Many thanks for all the dam kind comments  :)

While I was in discussion with Robbie about the Hally wagons and another transfer for a bigger forum project, I took the opportunity to get some extra "Kinneil" wagons - this was the colliery in Bo'Ness where I grew up & they have an example at the Bo'Ness & Kinneil Rly - again, I asked Robbie to do me 3 as RTR so I could admire them on the layout ..... here is CR 419 doing another short freight service, spotted as it trundled past the deserted golf course

Back over at the Turbine Hall, the elevated walkway is a good fit and I have fitted the LED light through a slot I cut in the floor (just visible to the left of the mouse)

..... though one or two of the workers at the plant are now nervous, as the men in white coats have turned up!

One of those little cameo's that not many will spot once it is in it's place & I don't know yet just how much will be seen once .... but I will know .....

plant operator "Forky" McBrayne manouvers some lubricating oil into position to do some routine maintenance.  I think I will track down some pictures of old style contol panels to put behind the walkway so the operators can monitor performance and output - will also put a picture on the false end wall to show a large roller shutter door, to give some method of geting the fork lift in there.

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #3458 on: March 25, 2020, 07:28:21 AM »
Wow! Adding the people certainly gives a sense of scale to this.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3459 on: March 26, 2020, 06:43:20 AM »
Today's update is all about the bridges over the river Osc (so named after our youngest cat Oscar, who is part cat, part squirrel, part dog ... sure all the cat lovers on the forum have had one of those in their lifetime!).   The trackbed is quite deep and the bridge is narrow compared to trackbed as well, I added extension pieces to the deck in an earlier post, but elected to make some filler pieces .. possibly get away with calling them parapets ?  they will need to be suitably weathered, but that will come...

For the purposes of my build, they at least bring the bridge sides up to the level of the cork underlay & one of the final touches will be either additional walls with escapeways or just tube & post handrails ...

a reminder of why all the bridges are being built!  a small selection of loco's arrived back from Douglas at Wickness, here a fetching couple of M7's pose on the branch line

I debated with myself whether to use the A4 plasitkard I had for the viaduct sides (though maybe it is just a bridge still and getting idea's above its station) but in the end I bought some A3 to try and keep it all as one piece

Then I had the small matter of trying to transfer the paper design to the plastikard ......

but enough of looking at my knee's.... as I was preparing to type the update this morning, a couple of emails arrived in my inbox from Douglas at Wickness with a couple of videos of loco's he has just finished .... here is one of them.... 37428 "Loch Awe/Loch Long" in EWS livery

Lots of scribbing later, the design is transferred (no sign of a silhouette printer in Perthshire!) - I used the leftover archways of the bridge 4 build as a rough template, but they were slightly elliptical and I planned to use a cutting compass, so the archways came out as true circular arches rather than the shape the template offered up

And then one sore hand later, the arches were cut...

but news of another loco posing on the branchline was much more newsworthy ......   :camera:  class 24 D7654 in a smart 2 tone green livery 

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3460 on: March 26, 2020, 07:03:38 AM »
That two-tone green livery is my favourite of all paint schemes.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3461 on: March 26, 2020, 07:42:27 AM »
Thatís a lot of scribing for the viaduct, but looking good.

The 24 looks excellent!  :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3462 on: March 26, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »
Thanks George, Keith ... that is only one side of it too .... I have burned my brain out trying to work out if the other side of the viaduct can be the same shape or needs to be a different size of arch to cope with the circle .... I think it does, but can't get my brain around it yet! .... and if they do need to be larger arches, I don't think I can keep it to a single A3 sheet   :hmmm:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3463 on: March 26, 2020, 08:30:25 AM »
Thanks George, Keith ... that is only one side of it too .... I have burned my brain out trying to work out if the other side of the viaduct can be the same shape or needs to be a different size of arch to cope with the circle .... I think it does, but can't get my brain around it yet! .... and if they do need to be larger arches, I don't think I can keep it to a single A3 sheet   :hmmm:
If you know the radius of curvature of the track R,  the distance between the centre of the track and the inside of the arches, d1 and the distance between the centre of the track and the outsideof the arches, d2, then the inside radius R1 = R - d1 and the outside radius R2 = R + d2.  The scaling factor is then simply R2/R1.  I hope that's not too complicated.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3464 on: March 26, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
Thanks Laurence .... measurment of R will need to wait until next week!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal