!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 178715 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3075 on: July 12, 2019, 10:57:56 AM »
They're brilliant! :claphappy:  Great to see something like this on someone's layout, and very neatly done.   :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3076 on: July 12, 2019, 11:19:10 AM »
You got the boss on side, for sure!  ;) :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #3077 on: July 12, 2019, 11:21:05 AM »
..... and there we have it, the full MPD of the PRPS laid out in full

Wow, Andrew

There'd have to be pretty close to 100 locos in that lot. So, with a factor of 5 or more for the number of rolling stock per locomotive can we say that you are heading towards 1000 pieces of equipment?

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3078 on: July 12, 2019, 02:25:16 PM »
You got the boss on side, for sure!  ;) :thumbsup:

:sweat:  phew  :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3079 on: July 12, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »

Wow, Andrew

There'd have to be pretty close to 100 locos in that lot. So, with a factor of 5 or more for the number of rolling stock per locomotive can we say that you are heading towards 1000 pieces of equipment?

Webbo

Ah no Ian, your definitely a factor of 10 out   :telloff: ..... only 10 loco's and a 100 pieces of equipment  :angel:   (Laurence has got me paranoid now that Mrs MR might start reading this thread!)

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3080 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Gosh Andrew lots of lovely trains & the panel is looking really good too  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3081 on: July 13, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »

Wow, Andrew

Webbo

Ah no Ian, your definitely a factor of 10 out   :telloff: ..... only 10 loco's and a 100 pieces of equipment  :angel:   (Laurence has got me paranoid now that Mrs MR might start reading this thread!)

I do hope that counting is not an important part of your job?  :D

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3082 on: July 13, 2019, 07:26:06 AM »
 :laughabovepost:

Only counting I do is the days to go until my chopper home arrives  :D  (that would be 3.5 .... not that I am counting)

With some of the PCS sorted, I could start to put some back on the tracks in sets that I will use, rather than random siding filling (I was reading "Train shunting & Marshalling for the modeller"  by Bob Essery last night ..., So I now know my NPCS from my elbow)  :thumbsup:

The Hawksworth B set takes its place on the local passenger traffic siding (apologies for the poor lighting)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3083 on: July 14, 2019, 07:51:10 AM »
Mrs MR was out with some pals so I amused myself with a spot of soldering .... the amusing bit being how bad I am it  :dunce:   :-[

Anyway, here is how it looks in it's raw form

and after a lick of paint, is offered up to the supports

These Minitrix teak LNER coaches were scattered across a couple of locations, this is the first time I have had them together as a 4 car set, I think they look pretty good, despite their age..... and they just fit and no more in the passing loop!

And here is the panel fitted in position.  All the point motors are already fitted so it's just a case of connecting up I hope .... or is it!

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3084 on: July 14, 2019, 09:41:13 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign: Hope all goes well with the Electrickty Andrew
       regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3085 on: July 15, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »
Thanks Derek - sadly not, things are going a bit awry ....... been busily connecting up the motors, but I seemed to reach a critical mass of energised cables whereby point motors are moving themselves ...  i.e. after hooking up 4 or 5 in the yard, when I went to test the buttons, not only did the one I was testing operate, but also one and sometimes 2 others did as well ... after hooking up all the motors onto the panel, it became apparent that it was two in particular.... one in the yard by the engine shed & the mainline curved crossover.  I tested and re-tested the connections for those and can't seem to elminate the problem ... moreover... the panel for Tullibardine that was the first one I did has also joined in on the act and the crossover won't stay set in the same position ... trying to set it into the station rather than straight on, after a few seconds, it reverts back to staight on (a bit inconvenient for the passengers when the front portion of the carriage is headed for the platform and the rear portion is continuing on towards Auchterarder!

Any thoughts?  Too many cables causing some weird faraday effect & causing ghost signals?  dodgy switches?  rubbish soldering?

To take my mind off that (and the fact that it is thick fog offshore just now preventing any flights lifting) here are some shots of the new West Coast Railway 57313 hauling a railtour

.... passengers board at Muthill....  really needs a couple of pullmans in West Coast Rly livery to compliment it ... (thanks Mick!)

After several failed attempts to enter the station road at Tullibardine, the culprit being failed points, the railtour had to make use of the refinery halt to allow passengers to disembark & visit the distillery

More trouble was revealed at Tullibardine during this last photo, the point on the crossover I had to replace is not sitting properly & everything hitting it derails, so I will need to lift it all again to lay it properly......

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3086 on: July 15, 2019, 07:53:40 AM »
Hope that the fog clears and you get a flight off soon.

Also hope that you solve the electric gremlins.  :uneasy:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #3087 on: July 15, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
Morning Andrew,

Thanks for the post, pics and your patience. I'd have given up by now with all those problems, hence my Kato track.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS While I'm here, can I just ask if the Tullibardine Whisky decals that you kindly included are like the ones you used to get with Airfix kits, ie. bit of warm water or are they different these days. I don't know the difference between decals, transfers etc. Also, are they black lettering on a white background or just black lettering on a clear background so the wagon has to be white? Hope makes sense and sorry for being a bit tick.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:48:48 PM by weave »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3088 on: July 15, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
Hi Andrew

I'm sorry to hear about your point control problem.  I know you're using Cobalts but are they digital or analogue?  I am using digital and I simply program each one to an accessory address (for crossovers I give both points the same address).  They are all then programmed from my DCC controller.  All you need is a list of the accessory addresses and Bob's you uncle.  I have gone further by grouping points together as routes so that I only need to know the route number from A to B to set all the points for a train to run. 

This information may be of no use to you whatever.  :doh:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3089 on: July 15, 2019, 09:16:08 AM »
Good luck, Andrew.

Your problem is prototypical with regard to uncommanded signal aspect or points operation.

Just the consequences are a lot less worrying for you.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Below Goal: £40.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything