New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 147243 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #2595 on: September 24, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »
Like your thinking Brian, though already have Haldanes Folly on the golf course, what is the collective noun for (folly's) follies?

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2596 on: September 24, 2018, 10:07:39 PM »
More than one folly becomes follies.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2597 on: September 24, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
Could even become Berger (don't know how to spell it :()
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2598 on: September 24, 2018, 10:22:41 PM »
ahh ... I was hoping for "a confusion of follies" ... or a "humour of follies" .... maybe a "chuckle of follies"  :)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2599 on: September 25, 2018, 07:16:04 AM »
Could even become Berger (don't know how to spell it :()

You beat me to it! “Folies Bergere” I believe (sans accents), (don’t ask how I know)   :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2600 on: September 25, 2018, 08:37:09 AM »
Decided it was time to make some kits instead of buying & stockpiling!  Over the course of several visits to the NGS shop, each visit not paying heed to what had been ordered before, I found myself with 3 x Carron Iron Co wagons, complete with transfers, so I set about completing them.

This is as far as I got before I had to go back to work

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2601 on: October 31, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »
Hi Forumites,

long absence from Perthshire due to me working a new rota and for the first time in my working career had 5 weeks off!  Managed to spend a fair bit of it on the layout and made some good progress (and some bad!), look forward to sharing it with you over the next couple of weeks (yes, due to some rota vagaries, I am only back for 2 weeks before getting another 4 off)  8)

With so much time to play with, was a challenge to know what to do first, but finishing off these guys seemed like a good place to start

... and Burt Beehive Manufacturer gets a chassis

I also had some backdrops to play with, so I fitted one that fitted my idea for this area best, though didnt do a great job with the glue....bit ripply

and then the low relief buildings, I like the tower flats and shop, not sure about the warehouse, even though it fits with the general theme of the area

The wagons are soon pressed into active service, the bee hive manufacturer keen to bring some good Perthshire hardwood back to base

...plus three more recently acquired rectangular tar tankers (of which I already have far too many!) .... I have some decals from Robbie that I will apply to at least two of these to add a bit of variety

duly loaded, they make their way back up the branchline

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:30:38 PM by Milton Rail, Reason: NPN inspired correction »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2602 on: October 31, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
Welcome back.
Those various wagons look really good, especially the Burt Beehive ones.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2603 on: October 31, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
Thanks for the update.

I also had some backdrops to play with, so I fitted that fitted my idea for this area best, though didnt do a great job with the glue....bit ripply

Sigourney Weaver says "thank you" :D

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2604 on: October 31, 2018, 11:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the update.

I also had some backdrops to play with, so I fitted that fitted my idea for this area best, though didnt do a great job with the glue....bit ripply

Sigourney Weaver says "thank you" :D

Oh.............dear.  :doh:

Don't you think I look a bit like an E.T. in my avatar?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:27:05 PM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2605 on: November 01, 2018, 12:27:23 PM »
While I was in the mode of finishing outstanding projects (where in my case, outstanding means overdue, not superbly executed!) I bit the bullet on the 2 horseboxes I was bulding, had done the painting, have been ready to assemble for quite a while.  These are NGS kits.

Some other recent rolling stock additions, will add these to my WW1 war train rolling stock collection

Another couple of tar tankers, I don't have many of those (sound a bit like Paul Price & Jubillee's! when I say that  :D )

I seem to have quite a few of these too, but it is quite local to me, so it fits the layout locality

Got this Blue Circle wagon as a bit of a bargain, factory weathered, I have an idea for changing the wagon load though

Painting the buffers (and fitting them) proved a tad tricky ... I ended up having to drill out the buffer stocks to get the buffer heads to fit.

getting to the really tricky phase now, transfers on & glued up (the latter part has disturbed the paint job a bit unfortunately) ... going to test my modelling skills getting the chassis's built up properly........

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #2606 on: November 01, 2018, 09:32:19 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:  Good to see another update Andrew
        regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2607 on: November 02, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »
Some work out in the van for a change, this is how things were left in corner of the layout beside Muthill Stn, the HQ of the PRPS

Also wondered about not having the warehouse ... I think I like this better (... and I can't bring myself to use my lovely new mug) thanks again @Phoenix

Some flocking to help hide the later additions to the edge

I also tried blending the sky on the backscene's a bit better, from light at the bottom to darker blue at the top... still a work in progress!

Built up the edges of the lift out panel to make it a bit less obvious, will do some final screening with bushes etc.

Thanks to an magazine from Chris in Prague that passed through my hands earlier this year, it had an article within it about diesel shunters that the LNER developed, I acquired this 3D print with a view to bringing one to Perthshire.  I have now got a DCC fitted 08 Chassis to marry up with it .... but sadly it will need some expertise from others (Douglas at Wickness) to extract it so I can fit this body to it as the wires pass through the body in a way that means you cant get it off without disconnecting the wires....

I also wanted to make the yard at Muthill look more authentic by packing in the rails with clinker and ash

to cut down on the amount of filling I would need, I thought I could build up the ground using balsa so that it was a bit more straightforward to do

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2608 on: November 02, 2018, 04:59:55 PM »
a bit more progress on the infill

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2609 on: November 03, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
In my last order from Plaza Japan, I had bought some Tomix assorted parcels, sacks and platform equipment (trolleys mainly), some of which looked quite similar to Blue Circle cement bags (to my mind).... so I removed the coal load

...... and proceeded to load up the wagon, the sprues had half a dozen sets of 6 sacks and the same in loose sacks

Before I glued them in, I did a bit of a wash with white powder to give a hint of spillage.  I know this is not how they would be transported, but I quite like it as a slightly different load (rule 1!)

With some decent weather, I took the opportunity to finally finish off painting the exterior of the van!  I had only done the front and ends up until now

It was quite fiddly and time consuming to fit the balsa, but a great way to use up some of the offcuts from my recent platform building exploits

Once I had completed a decent area, I gave it a coat of black paint to see how it looked

and now with the buildings back in place, the ones at the back are in the wrong place, the boiler house is from an old layout, not sure where or if I will use it on this one.

A bit closer down to track level now

A bit more terraforming around the lift out panel to blend it into the surroundings better.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here