!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 200334 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1230 on: March 26, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
And now the nags at the rear - the various racehourse trainers of Strahearn have combined their needs and have a train running south to take their horses to a variety of spring meetings in England - it just so happens that there was some "foreign" horsebox stock in Crieff that needed returned to the west country.

As well as a gaurds van that was well behind enemy lines :)

Thanks Chris, This was how I explained the GWR horseboxes, but didn't really have an explanation for the Guards van :)

I have a couple of water products to try, have already used the Busch one, looks good, though I probably add more layers in future as one on it's own is not very visible, but that was the effect I was kind of looking for, to show one of the many rivers and tributaries starved of water due to hydro schemes... the other product is Making Waves, Deluxe products

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1231 on: March 27, 2017, 07:16:34 AM »
Having laid out the anyrail plots, I realised the board I cut previously was a not sized correctly, fortunately I bought a lot of 4mm ply!

Then it was a case of best efforts to mark up where the track beds needed to be

1st application of the Modellwasser on the gorge

and then the culvert outflow

Once it dries it looks like this (I was not too successful at matching the earlier bit I did, but once I add a few trees, get the remaining two bridges in, hopefully it won't be too noticeable)

Not so obvious in the pics, but it looks pretty good to the naked eye and it needs 2-3 layers to build up a really nice effect (and this was just the 1st layer

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1232 on: March 28, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »
I bit the bullet and decided to build and add the last baseboard frame - knowing it would take away a fair bit of space, but is how I decided to use the space in the van (to the max) so thought I should see whether I could live with that or not (the clearance up the side & end are already a bit tight, but that will be my motivation not to put on weight!

what have I done!

The pic below will hopefully show the overall effect and a better impression of how the mainline will run - Gleneagles on the right, and this is where the branch will come in - have a notion to sometimes go back in time, have the mainline & branch running in the steam days (Grouping & BR) but also showing it as the PRPS, operating between Auchterarder - Muthill in the '80's and have the mainline running in Blue, Blue/Grey, Intercity liveries.. and then a bit closer to the current day, so that the PRPS can run all the loco's and liveries under the sun!  :)

The blue dotted circle was just to help me in planning, represents where I will have the test track for running in, programming etc.

Excess trimmed off the boards so I can see what I am working with

Started to prep the girder bridge sections that will span the gorge, livery will be an approximation of what I understand the CR colour schemes were

There is definitely an art to transferring Anyplan's to baseboards that I need to get better at

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1233 on: March 28, 2017, 07:29:58 AM »
Looks like terrific progress, Andrew

A couple of points of clarification needed for me. The test oval is sitting on top of your oil field. Will this be at another level?

I take it that your oil field is quite different from your oil refinery area which I'm assuming is round to the left off picture?

Do you have a track plan that encapsulates all of this that you can post for us? This is turning into a mighty good looking layout.

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1234 on: March 28, 2017, 09:22:03 AM »
Thanks Webbo, That's correct, the test track will be on a pull out board below the mainline/oil field (though what looked like a lot of space between the two boards on Anyrail, is not quite the case in real life!).  You are correct, in the picture shown, the refinery is behind me.  I wanted to do a separate oil field as I have a couple of Faller nodding donkeys (one motorised) that I wanted to incorporate as well as giving another slightly different thing to model... though the mineral that Perthshire is richer in is gold rather than oil sadly!  It also gave a reason for the refinery being where it is :)  (the original refinery in Grangemouth sprang up from the abundance of oil bearing shale in the area)

This is the final track plan I am working to, though it will evolve as I start to lay it

Cheers,
Andrew

Steamie+

« Reply #1235 on: March 29, 2017, 02:35:02 AM »
Thats a pretty awesome track plan Andrew, i can see the space between the boards is going to be really tight, not a lot of room for (Yorkshire pudding or even spotted dick) lol. Seriously though, i am looking forward to more of your layout in the months to come, or will it be weeks.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1236 on: March 29, 2017, 06:36:30 AM »
It certainly does look like a tight squeeze to get into the middle.  But the plan looks well worth it and I hope to see the results develop over the next few months.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1237 on: March 29, 2017, 07:11:20 AM »
Thanks Rod, depending on the level of exercise I manage to do when I am home (and how fast the wine "cellar" (or should that be seller) gets drained) it can get a bit tight to manoeuvre around!  The middle is actually not too bad Laurence, it is the top left corner that is a sideways shuffle to get too!

Made some more progress on the baseboards, bit the bullet and got the jigsaw out to cut the curves I will need

I have quite a few elevation changes to manage - it was all so easy in Anyrail!

This gives an idea of how the bottom end will look in terms of elevation changes

Stone colour applied to the girder bridge panel, going to take a few more coats!

With all the bits roughly in place, but not at the right elevations

27008 sits with the Mk2a BSO and 27203 - the 4 Mk2a TSO's are expected imminently

Steamie+

« Reply #1238 on: March 29, 2017, 07:32:39 AM »
Looks even better Andrew, see you have hit the wine glass already, or is that a model for a water tower lol  :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1239 on: March 29, 2017, 08:11:52 AM »
 :beers: indeed - I find my modelling dilemma's & decisions get easier after a glass or 3 :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1240 on: March 29, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
Very impressive progress, Andrew. The scenery is the fun part for me.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1241 on: March 29, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
Looking good Andrew. Pinot Grigio? :wave:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1242 on: March 29, 2017, 06:47:41 PM »
Great stuff.
I very much enjoy seeing the scenic side of things develop.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1243 on: March 30, 2017, 07:18:33 AM »
Just a straightforward vino collapse Keith :)  I like a wine that is free from deceit or pretence, so I always choose a nice French sincere  when I can  :D

Key to getting the branch beyond the distillery laid was to get the distillery board fixed down and level - this bit is directly above the heater, so the ply has behaved a bit differently to elsewhere on the layout

With the distillery board in place, I was then able to put the branchline track bed in place (with what ever heavy bits were to hand)

I started to get into a rhythm I haven't had for a while, a few different jobs ongoing at the same time, so while the glue was drying, I went back to the gorge and started adding some flock to the sides

Austin Spindler in his hot air balloon just happened to go overhead at this point - I have added some points of different coloured flock, just to add a bit of variety to the scene

I am pretty pleased with how the gorge is coming along - a few modified, cheap Chinese tree's ready for planting

While I was gorging myself on scenic work, the distillery board was ready to receive some track, 1st the holding sidings and points for the runaround loop

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1244 on: March 30, 2017, 08:00:01 AM »
That looks like steady progress to me.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com