!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 196165 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1080 on: February 06, 2017, 07:03:18 AM »
That's looking very good indeed, Andrew :thumbsup:

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1081 on: February 06, 2017, 07:46:59 AM »
Andrew

I think once you get a major scenery feature like the gorge and viaduct pretty much under control, it will provide a big psychological boost for you and your scenery construction. On my layout, I found that I was holding back on scenery things until I completed the bit around the mountain cleft at the end of my lake which included a girder bridge over a stream. Hopefully, you are not subject to such blockages in will as I am prone to.

Anyhow, it looks to me that things are coming along very nicely on your layout. Inspired by this thread, I'm planning to purchase a few of Robbie's wagons including an ACME kerosene tanker.

Webbo

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1082 on: February 06, 2017, 07:57:09 AM »
Cheers Webbo, you are dead right... lots of doubts about stuffing things up before I start hold me back... Fitting Cobalt Point Motors is another... but yes, by taking my time and thinking it out definitely helps, as well as all the positive feedback from the forum

Good choice with the wagons, you won't be disappointed :)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1083 on: February 06, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
Based on the update on Chris's thread, I thought it was a good chance to update the PRPS history/backstory

The PRPS came about when a group of volunteers from the Tullibardine Distillery and the Blackford Petroleum Company were able to secure the line beyond the refinery junction to Muthill.  There was land adjacent to the old station site that the group were also able to obtain, giving rise to the HQ at Muthill that now is a major Perthshire tourist attraction

How there came to be a line in the first place is as follows.

The line between Stirling & Perth was opened by the Scottish Central Railway in 1848, there was also provision made in the act creating this new railway for a branch line to Crieff which was finally opened on 14th March 1856 after many construction delays which were centred on an over-extended engineer, Thomas Bouch.  There were however two competing locations for the junction, the surveyor originally favoured a location at Dunning, slightly further north than the eventual site that was chosen to the south of Auchterarder.  The original surveyor had favoured the Dunning option for its gentler approach to Crieff, however local politics and parliamentary pressure from influential landowners resulted in the Auchterarder location being chosen.  This caused great rancour in the area, especially with the very powerful and wealthy fruit growers who were concentrated around Dunning, so much so that they pushed ahead with their own line on the original route the surveyor favoured, largely funded from their own collective wealth.  The reason for this was that their prime market was to supply fresh fruit to the health spas that were opening up in Crieff Hydro, the most famous of these being opened by the formidable “Strathearn Hydropathic Establishment Company” in 1868.  In the early days of the Crieff Junction Railway (CJR), the fruit growers frequently suffered delays at Crieff Junction which resulted in their produce being spoiled, the CJR choosing to prioritise its own traffic and this further spurred them on to open their own branch.  Work was completed on this (fictional) branch on 28th May 1858.   

The prime goods traffic of the CJR, was Gleneagles, the distillery at Tullibardine and the Blackford Petroleum Refinery.  There was a small halt beyond these two industries that served the hamlet of Tullibardine.  Travelling further into the Perthshire hills, past the golf courses of Gleneagles, the next station was Muthill, where there was a reasonably sized goods yard maintained.  The line was closed to traffic on 6th July 1964 and it was at this point the PRPS came into being.  They were able to secure the line to Muthill, but beyond that, the track was lifted.  Their operating case came from being able to continue running the operations of the refinery and distillery as a going concern.

With the founding members coming from the 2 main industries that the truncated branch still served, it was relatively straight forward to secure operating agreements with them to provide a source of much needed revenue for the society.  The distillery and refinery were happy as they were able to divest the running of the line to committed railwaymen, allowing them to concentrate on their core businesses.  So far this arrangement has worked very well.

It is well documented that the "founding fathers" had chewed over the idea of taking over the branch line as early as 1959 when the rumours of closure first started to surface - these long discussions were often fuelled by copious amounts of beer & whisky (more often than not, the whisky being the "angel's share" from the distillery) went long into the night.  The final catalyst was the event organised Alan Pegler on February 16th 1963 to generate momentum within the fledgling preservation movement whith great numbers descending on Crieff and the branch line in a show of strength to persuade the BR Board to not only sell the locomotives as going concerns but also to allow access to the mainlines in the future.  It was the start of some very strong friendships between various groups across the country & Channel that would help the preservation movement weather some difficult times ahead.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:16:23 PM by Milton Rail, Reason: Wrong Date for gathering »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1084 on: February 06, 2017, 06:35:58 PM »
An excellent thread, Andrew.  Incidentally, I have posted a picture of A4s on Chris's website.  Would you like me to post it here instead?  Also, I can't now find any reference to A4s without streamlining, but I'm sure I remember, in my later Ian Allens, seeing a few which were rebuilt, still as Class A4 but without the streamlining.  They looked just like A2s.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1085 on: February 06, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »
Thanks Laurence, it is not as organised and informative as yours by any stretch, but it keeps me greatly entertained while I am away at work for long stretches and I do enjoy the banter and feedback

You have me reaching for google images now :)

I saw the cracking A4 picture on the Cant Cove thread - I won't be able to recreate that picture...not having a roundhouse in Perthshire at the moment!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:20:19 PM by Milton Rail, Reason: Senior Moment »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1086 on: February 06, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
Although I don't claim to be as interested in the (LN)ER as the (G)WR or the SR, I don't remember any A4s being rebuilt. A1s or A2s, maybe?

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1087 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
No A4s were rebuilt or altered as far as I'm aware Lawrence I'm afraid. I do, however, recall seeing a picture of one rather defrocked as it were at Doncaster (or was it Darlington) in the 60s prior to scrapping .
The LNER had a few B17s (4-6-0s) streamlined (looking very much like a shorter A4)and  I believe these were later rebuilt as conventional 4-6-0s
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1088 on: February 06, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »
Thanks for the excellent back story Andrew.
Good to have a story/history to complement the railway.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #1089 on: February 06, 2017, 08:12:44 PM »
No A4s were rebuilt or altered as far as I'm aware Lawrence I'm afraid. I do, however, recall seeing a picture of one rather defrocked as it were at Doncaster (or was it Darlington) in the 60s prior to scrapping .
The LNER had a few B17s (4-6-0s) streamlined (looking very much like a shorter A4)and  I believe these were later rebuilt as conventional 4-6-0s

This is correct, however I seem to recall it was only two B17s streamlined: 2859 and 2870. The streamlining was purely cosmetic and had no positive effect on the performance of the locomotive.

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1090 on: February 07, 2017, 05:58:40 AM »
Once things had dried & I could hoover up the excess (had to upgrade from the Hoover hand held to the Dyson, the Hoover could not cut it sadly)

I raided one of the garden beds for some very fine gravel and stuck some nicely shaped ones into the river bed for effect

A view looking straight down the river - once the glue on the rocks has set, I can flock the sides of the gorge, get some tree's in and try the Modellwasser in the river then glue the viaduct down :)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1091 on: February 07, 2017, 06:26:18 AM »
The stream bed is really looking good now. :beers:  Sorry about the A4 rebuild info.  My memory must be playing tricks on me. :sorrysign:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1092 on: February 07, 2017, 07:12:34 AM »
That really does look very good, Andrew. It's what I'm aiming for with my two streams but have yet to complete.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1093 on: February 07, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »
Here's a picture that I originally posted on Cant Cove.  I have now removed it from there and reposted it here, which seems more appropriate.  It is from a story by Nick Enoch, published by The Mail Online on 3rd July 2013

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #1094 on: February 07, 2017, 08:03:47 AM »
An excellent thread, Andrew.  Incidentally, I have posted a picture of A4s on Chris's website.  Would you like me to post it here instead?  Also, I can't now find any reference to A4s without streamlining, but I'm sure I remember, in my later Ian Allens, seeing a few which were rebuilt, still as Class A4 but without the streamlining.  They looked just like A2s.

Laurence,

Perhaps what you saw was a gresley P2. A 2-8-2 locomotive, some of these were built with front end streamlining that resembled that on the A4. These were rebuilt b Thomson into A2/2 Pacifics.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything