!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 202031 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #930 on: December 15, 2016, 05:56:51 AM »
A recent trip to Edinburgh meant I could indulge myself in a rare treat, actually visiting a real model shop :)  This was a childhood mecca for me, to the point that I even applied to them for a job!  I still have the rejection letter somewhere  :'(  Picked up loads of goodies and a small 2 coach rake of crimson suburbans

Did a bit more work on the golf course, used the hot wire cutter to shape the tee to the right of the green and then used some modelling clay to blend them in a bit

I have also tried to form some bunkers from the clay too - this one is on the next hole, just before it doglegs to the left

Put some bunkers in front of the green to protect it and to add to the challenge

This is the tee beside the tunnel, I am thinking there should be a distant signal just before the tunnel to
hold trains approaching Muthill before the road is set for them into the station... I can envisage this being a source of great annoyance to the golfers!  You can just make out the modification I made to the hill, I have cut out an access piece to the track.... will need to think how best to disguise it....

Here is the view from the tee for those golfers, as it will be un-nerving as it is to tee off across the cutting (with or without trains), the hole has been laid out as a short par 3

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #931 on: December 15, 2016, 06:32:27 AM »
Thanks for the latest update, Andrew. The golf course is coming along very nicely. Soon it will time to 'lay the turf'! 8-)

I look forward to seeing your BR Crimson Suburban coaches, in due course. (I hope to have one together with a BR Crimson one, next month.)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #932 on: December 15, 2016, 08:10:59 AM »
Looking forward to seeing that golf course develop. I always like seeing the way diffeent people go about scenic detail.
Those bunkers look like giant dinosaur footprints at the moment!
Great stuff.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #933 on: December 15, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
Thanks Martin... as I am attempting to mimic a prestigious course, I will be trying hard to get it looking well maintained!  I do agree though, the diversity of scenic surroundings on the layouts on the forum is amazing

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #934 on: December 16, 2016, 06:19:32 AM »
Some rolling stock taking up residency, Rake's of CR coaches and the older Pullman's (this is the formation for the Golden Arrow train that is being attempted, albeit a couple of coaches short)

I started taking a look at the tracks feeding Fiddle yard 2, I need to be careful how I position the points, as I need to fit 2 Cobalt motors in between the formers (as you can see, a new Brewery is in town) :)

Finally got the Umber & Cream Pullman's out of their boxes and onto the rails - I have the following:

Car 332; 333; 334; 347; 348; 349; 355; Emerald; Amethyst; Eagle; Falcon & the ubiquitous Hadrian Bar

Below is Car 355, 332 and 333

Car 334 & Hadrian Bar (I am not sure where it would be in the formation)

Car 347 and 348

Car 349 at the head..... just needs a loco now....

The train, a special excursion along the branch, carrying a variety of celebrities and gentry who have enjoyed a weekend at Gleneagles, is held on the incline by an anxious guard as the loco is switched at Tullibardine ready for its onward journey back to the mainline and beyond

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #935 on: December 16, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »
Thanks for the photos. Alas the guests were not greeted with bright sunny weather, I see. I also have a rake of the old and the new Pullman cars for the "Cornish Belle" summer-only train to / from Waterloo. I even have an (unbuilt) 3D-printed Pullman Observation Car to go with them but building, painting and lining that is a task for the future when I have more experience.

A "Pullman" special, off-season, using either rake would, therefore, be another possibility for 'through' running, behind the 'Green Dragon'?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #936 on: December 16, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »
That sounds like a very viable proposition - I need to pull my finger out and finish off 501 squadron.... I have all the bits except the regimental shield.... I thought I had cracked it when Bob at BR lines had it listed... but he has not got any stock any more :( 

Sunshine in Perthshire is a fleeting experience :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #937 on: December 16, 2016, 04:07:05 PM »
I'm not sure if I can fit in a "Pullman" special until the New Year, Andrew as I'm still very busy with work and social meetings. However, a special New Year run of the "Cornish Belle" to Perthshire sounds fun. However, there would have to be an overnight break with a stay at a luxury hotel en route! 8-)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #938 on: December 16, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
 :hellosign: Many thanks for the latest pictures & updates Andrew, all looking good
       regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #939 on: December 17, 2016, 05:57:20 AM »
Coat of paint applied to the new contours, just to see how well it would fill the voids in the polystyrene

The Umber & Cream part set gets stacked for the time being

I also seem to have built up a small collection of British Steel wagons, these along with the NCB ones I have will form part of the "Industrial Scotland Collection" at the PRPS

I have a couple more the Blue wagons somewhere, just need to find them!

After the paint dried, there was still too much porosity in the surface as well as a pretty pattern from the polystyrene spheres - so I gave it a coating of fine polyfilla to smooth it over

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #940 on: December 17, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
Thanks for the latest update, Andrew. I always use sandless tile grout (powder plus water stirred to a creamy paste) to cover all styrene blocks before a coating of thick acrylic dark green household paint.

Here we see a very long distance enthusiasts' special, chartered by the Perthshire Railway Preservation Society, formed of a pair of BR Standard coaches: CK and BCK, mounted on the new Swindon-designed B4 bogies to ensure a smooth ride, ready to depart Cant Cove for the long return journey home, via Wadebridge and the scenic North Cornwall line. An empty "Headland Brewery" van forms a tail load and will be left at Wadebridge for onward delivery to Port Perran. The 'Queen Mary' brake van, in which the hardiest of the Scottish enthusiasts are riding, will also be left at Wadebridge where several are allocated. (The guard's compartment of the BCK is full of crates of "Castle", "Headland", and "Creech" brewery ales as well as the popular "Sam's Cider" together with picnic hampers supplied by "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove).

The straight tank 45XX will be replaced at Wadebridge by a tender loco. which will work through to Perthshire. The enthusiasts are wondering what their new loco. will be?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:04:02 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #941 on: December 17, 2016, 11:33:30 AM »
Thank you for the picture of the departing special, the army of keen local transport photographers have been put on alert for it's arrival, including hot air balloonist, Austin Spindler, it is hoped he will be in the air when it arrives.  As a keen steam enthusiast, he does try to time his flights to coincide with "interesting" train movements

at the moment, I have been coating the polystyrene with mod-roc... but on a smaller area like this, it felt like polyfilla was a better option

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #942 on: December 17, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »
Thank you, Andrew. I look forward to that. When you have a sale of your surplus Minitrix coaches, please, consider keeping a pair (CK plus BCK) in each livery for 'through' running to North Cornwall and Somerset, too, (as Brian -- Mito -- also has some; maybe, not one of every variant that you may have spare, though?).

Not having found "Polyfilla", here, I found sandless tile grout (as used on an 00 Gauge North Cornwall model that I admire, applied on top of carved styrene blocks) an excellent substitute. I have no experience of Mod-Roc but, with experience, the tile grout can be shaped to make realistic rock features, like the estuary side cliffs at Cant Cove.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #943 on: December 17, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »
Hi,

Not seen this post before. I keep missing them  :doh:.

Looking good and will go back and read through it all.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #944 on: December 17, 2016, 02:40:31 PM »
Thank you, Andrew. I look forward to that. When you have a sale of your surplus Minitrix coaches, please, consider keeping a pair (CK plus BCK) in each livery for 'through' running to North Cornwall and Somerset, too, (as Brian -- Mito -- also has some; maybe, not one of every variant that you may have spare, though?).

Not having found "Polyfilla", here, I found sandless tile grout (as used on an 00 Gauge North Cornwall model that I admire, applied on top of carved styrene blocks) an excellent substitute. I have no experience of Mod-Roc but, with experience, the tile grout can be shaped to make realistic rock features, like the estuary side cliffs at Cant Cove.

The Cant Cove cliffs are very good

I will have a look at the minitrix coaches and put up a list of what I have.... mainly blue/grey and a mixture of crimson/cream or blood & custard.... though I did get a few more BR Maroon ones in a recent job lot.   I will make sure I keep the ones we have exchanged for the through trains + any others that will aid that. 

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything