!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 202108 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #900 on: December 08, 2016, 05:38:37 PM »
Looking good Andrew.

I'm a fan of modroc, (using quite a lot at the moment)!

"My first adventure in mod-rok .... (note to self, stop wiping hands on backside between placing strips of plaster)"  :laughabovepost:

I've found that my backside is a lot cleaner if a use cheap baby wipes (something I have learnt since having grandchildren) to remove the plaster from my hands.

I've also found that if you place the underlying supports "less neatly" you get a more realistic natural effect. Although this can be a bit worrying when you place the first plaster strips.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #901 on: December 08, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »
thanks Keith - I learned my lesson for future mod-roc deployments after "feedback" from my better half :) - I used a damp rag between strips (only 90% foolproof though)  :doh: , but yes, could see how baby wipes would work.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #902 on: December 09, 2016, 05:51:12 AM »
The PRPS is working hard to build up a demonstration train of CR freight - bauxite being the main colour - they have these 4 examples ready to have lettering applied.

To fill the square dimples left in the modroc - I applied a layer of polyfilla to smooth things over

Once that was dry, a coating of burnt umber was applied (The Range also had some artists raw umber... but being 4 times the price.... burnt umber will do!)

It feels like a good jump forward just losing all that expanse of white :)

Lastly, a couple of unusual visitors to the refinery sidings

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #903 on: December 09, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »

Once that was dry, a coating of burnt umber was applied (The Range also had some artists raw umber... but being 4 times the price.... burnt umber will do!)

Just as well they accidentally burnt it or that could have been expensive for you! ;D

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #904 on: December 09, 2016, 11:14:15 AM »
 :laughabovepost:   

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #905 on: December 09, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »

Just as well they accidentally burnt it or that could have been expensive for you! ;D

It doesn't get any better, does it?  :doh:

Thanks, Mick - always good for a chuckle!  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #906 on: December 09, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »
That's why we keep encouraging him :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #907 on: December 10, 2016, 05:53:06 AM »
The big scenic piece I need to complete so I can get the branchline connected to the mainline is the gorge to the east of Tullibardine - starting here with a mock up for height - have also cut out the formers from 3mm ply

I can finally start to use all the squirreled-away polystyrene foam that has been taking up a bit of room in the garage

I had thought to use kingspan foam to raise the level of the mainline boards, as they will run higher than the branch.... here is a piece that I prepared for the distillery board being glued down (mainly so I could determine the levels/gradient across the gorge) .... but with the benefit of stepping back and thinking about it from afar, I have already decided I don't like this approach for a number of reasons and will be re-working this in the new year

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #908 on: December 10, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »
Thanks for the latest update, Andrew. The viaduct will look very impressive. Maybe some deer could be grazing in the valley below? Or Highland Cattle? If deer, you could have a poacher about to be apprehended by a gamekeeper? 8-)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #909 on: December 10, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »
Thanks Chris, good ideas, I think I do have some deer somewhere

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #910 on: December 10, 2016, 11:04:13 AM »
Thanks Chris, good ideas, I think I do have some deer somewhere

I will have to sort through my boxes of 'Little People' but I think I may have a spare (German) hunter and gamekeeper you can have.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #911 on: December 10, 2016, 11:07:32 AM »
The Lima GWR Horsebox is a very nice model but benefits from replacing the large Lima cookie cutter wheels with smaller, thinner ones which reduce its overall height.

The GWS, at Bodmin General, has one fitted out as a mobile workshop and (limited) sleeping accommodation (sleeping bags in the groom's compartment). Maybe they have donated a 'twin' to their Perthshire friends? 8-)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #912 on: December 10, 2016, 01:00:27 PM »
Ah, the story about how the GWR horsebox came to be in Perthshire is lost in the myths of time, but the most popular version involves trainer Fulke Walwyn, the story goes that he and his entourage got so drunk after their 1947 Scottish Grand National win with Rowland Boy, that they left the horse behind in error... once he realised his mistake, he used his contacts with the railways (old colleagues from his days at Sandhurst and the 9th Lancers) to get an empty box transported north from his home town of Wrexham to collect the steed... however someone in his team had sobered up quicker than he did and had already sent a lorry to collect the horse.... so when the GWR horsebox arrived.... there was nothing for it to collect... and it sat at Irvine goods yard for some time... until there was a need for it to urgently move a horse from Bogside racecourse to Perth... and it remained in Perth thereafter and got lost in the 1948 reorganisation... sitting for a long time in sidings at Perth until it was rescued and restored by another Scottish trainer who used it for many years in it's original livery

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #913 on: December 11, 2016, 05:55:37 AM »
The gorge is taking shape, there will be 2 lines towards the front, running into the fiddle yard adjacent to the refinery, I had hoped to make these hidden, but didn't like the way that would look, so now I am trying to incorporate them into the scenery

The viaduct is still a bit low - these pics were captured by local celebrity, hot air balloonist, Austin Spindler

I realised too that the trackbed into the fiddle yard wasn't right and I had made an error when I cut it... so I did some tidying up, here the old piece is removed

Then a new piece cut to shape and fitted in.  You can see in the background, the local division of the AA have taken delivery of a new recovery vehicle at Tullibardine station, they have not yet removed it from it's shipping container

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #914 on: December 11, 2016, 09:06:03 AM »
Thanks, Andrew, for the entertaining story of the GWR Horsebox, sounds like the sort of story which has been attributed to Lord Trevelver's father. In comparison, the present Lord is a very sober and conventional gentleman!

Very good to see that the AA Landrover has safely arrived after it's long journey from Cornwall, via Prague! No doubt it will be especially useful in winter.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 04:10:02 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here