!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 195990 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #765 on: October 19, 2016, 06:59:34 AM »
Tried a bit of sculpting (I have since bought a hot wire cutter, though I can only imagine the type of fumes this stuff will give off!) of the other side of the cutting, where the memorial for the plaque victims will be, at the bottom of the slope, (I have ordered a suitable marker stone from Lytchett Manor).  I am still tinkering with getting a better colour balance in the photo's too.

The Permanent Way gang also made some progress getting some points laid in the PRPS yard, though I am not sure they have laid them quite in the right place... some re-work may be required! 

With the trackbed laid at Tullibardine, they were also able to turn their attentions to that too, contemplating hard their first use of electrofrog points

Now just to test them, I don't know why they are so nervous about them....... but they do seem to be shrouded in mystique for the uninitiated & electrically confounded.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #766 on: October 19, 2016, 07:19:53 AM »
Looking great! You'll do fine with the live frogs. After all that you have accomplished to date, they'll be a piece of cake.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #767 on: October 19, 2016, 08:46:39 AM »
Thanks George, I think it is the occasional reference to polarity switching that throws me ... as I understand it, switching the blades will do this... but it is not as reliable as using a switch to do it... I think I have all the insulating fishplates in the right place... and have probably over done it! but there are plenty of droppers planned... I might post a couple of diagrams of what I have done to get people's views on what I have done (if I run into problems!)

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #768 on: October 19, 2016, 08:59:04 AM »
Yes, my dinosaur old layout relies on blade contact as I used switches on the motors for other functions, and it works in a fashion, but if I was starting again, I'd do it differently.  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to updates!  :thumbsup:

George

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #769 on: October 19, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »
The second pic in your post concerns me slightly, Andrew :uneasy:
As I see it, the line from the RHS will curve round and then hit the point into the yard just after the tunnel portal. That might lead to some running issues so, if possible, I would suggest a small length of straight is inserted between the curve and the point to allow things to straighten up. I realise this would mean shifting all the track along a bit but it may pay dividends.
Of course, you may well get away with it, but I'm thinking "perhaps before you go too far......"

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #770 on: October 19, 2016, 02:33:52 PM »
main pre-occupation at the moment is what to use as circuit breakers for the power districts - I have divided it up into about 7 districts, but some of the CB's are pretty pricey!  I was looking at the Tam Valley CB, it seems to do the job and not as expensive as others out there - I am also considering the MERG ones, which come as a kit.... would be an interesting challenge for my soldering skills

Have a look in the DCC area &Do a search.  If all else  fails, ask the experts!
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #771 on: October 19, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
Thanks for the latest updates, Andrew. I hope that you'll be able to get the colour balance right.

Investing in a hot wire cutter is definitely well worth it. It makes cutting and roughly shaping such material far easier but do so it outdoors if at all possible and wear a face mask at least.

Having a straight stretch of track before / after a point is very good advice. As always, I'd strongly advise running all types of trains at all types of speed through any track before finally fixing it down and arranging permanent scenery around it.

I got a lot of DCC advice on the forum, for example from Lil' Chris and DCC Dave. It might be worth you investing in a Hex Frog Juicer (or more) if you're worried about point polarity switching problems? I have one fitted as I was told it was essential for 3-way points (although mine worked fine without it) and it now has some other nearby points wired up to it, too. However, all points worked fine when the first trial run of an old DCC-fitted Graham Farish "Western" took place, in the summer, across every point of the layout. My landlord fitted droppers before and after every point and at the end of every siding -- probably overkill but worth it for piece of mind before ballasting took place. All my points are wired according to expert advice, too.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #772 on: October 19, 2016, 04:59:39 PM »
It's probably good advice re the points but as they are laid out, each siding effectively joins into what is a straight section so I think you'd be OK as it is (but don't quote me).
I'd certainly test it out before final fixing down of the track.
I certainly like the way the trains will run through a decent height cutting as in the first picture.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #773 on: October 20, 2016, 07:22:07 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, apologies for not replying earlier, but I didn't get any email notifications about getting replies.  I will take a look at the tunnel exit when I get back home, the points into the PRPS yard need a bit of adjustment... a straight section immediately before it might help line things up better.... I should confess though... all the track you are seeing is all fixed down, so it will need to be lifted... there may be a bit of that though going forward as I had a bit of an idea last night while I was looking at the refinery layout and got to thinking that a headshunt might be a good idea....

Thanks too for the reminder about the DCC area on the forum, I have been dipping into that too!

Here is a slightly different angle on the cutting, the two black marks on the "hillside" are approximately where there will be a footbridge for the golfers.... in this challenging part of the golf course, they have to tee off across the railway line to safely reach the fairway on the other side of the tracks..... I know that heralds in all manner of HSE risks.... but it was a fun idea when I was planning it :)  I have also started trimming the excess cork on the track bed for the day that I eventually get around to ballasting.

Started work on the Tullibardine East section, I have dropped the baseboards in this section and it will be a mixture of cutting/embankment/bridge to get to the other side, along with a 1.3% incline.  We replaced the main doors on the house last month, and part of the old door frame was the perfect height to support the other end of the station area board

Just another shot of the line looking back from Tullibardine towards "The Kink".  Am keen to get the track through this station as once I get this done, I will know where the refinery junction point will be & I can start to make progress on that area

Here is the PRPS yard.... I need to open up the approach angle of this set of points I think... and I might replace them with electrofrogs..... I was trying to be frugal and reuse points from previous layout as much as possible (though I have only reused the ST5's & 6's in the fiddle yards)

Tomorrow I will reveal the horrors of my soldering  :-[

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #774 on: October 20, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
Sorry to have made my suggestion about the curve into the point when the track has already been laid. As this is an exit/entrance to the station or goods yard maybe things won't be going as fast as to be in danger of a derailment.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #775 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »
Not at all Mick, I appreciate the feedback from more seasoned & experienced modellers/track layers!  I am still finding my feet with this new approach to track, having always used the Peco pre-formed foam ballast before.... which was much more receptive to my on the hoof changes and adaptions :)  It won't be too much hassle to modify it.. and as you say...better to do it before I get too far into it...

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #776 on: October 20, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
I still like the curvy bits through the cutting.

Will look great when sceniced, and add interest to the layout.  :thumbsup:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #777 on: October 20, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
I still like the curvy bits through the cutting.

Will look great when sceniced, and add interest to the layout.  :thumbsup:
Ditto
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #778 on: October 20, 2016, 05:29:27 PM »
It's coming along in leaps and bounds! Wait till you start testing though. :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #779 on: October 20, 2016, 05:38:57 PM »
Ha Ha, yes very true Brian!  I am at work just now, but one of the first jobs I intend to do when I get back is to complete the wiring for the track laid so far and test the run-round loop at Tullibardine.... I had the CR Fairburn running on DC and it coped well with the track, but only 2 carriages, didn't come a cropper in the tunnel or on the point just before the tunnel... but that is just one loco out of many!  my plan will indeed be to test them all, so progress will slow down for sure :)

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here