!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 177832 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #735 on: October 13, 2016, 11:29:58 PM »
Andrew, thanks for pointing me back to your refinery construction. Your refinery looks like it has been through the wars. VERY effective paint job. Giving me some ideas on weathering mine though I don't think it will end up looking as beaten up as yours. I too found the instructions rather skimpy, but have managed to make my way through them. I had to do a fair amount of cleaning up the parts to get them to fit properly and gap filling so the quality of the kit was not the greatest.  Nevertheless this Walthers refinery kit is a fine looking model. I have a couple of Central Valley Models girder bridge kits that I've assembled. These kits demonstrate that plastic kits can be made that fit together almost as well as brass.

I've heard from elsewhere that the Plastruct refinery kit is a challenge. Looks great, but it won't fit in my space.

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: October 14, 2016, 07:11:14 AM »
Morning Webbo,

I have had the Plastruct kit for a while now, have baulked a bit at starting it (for fear of messing it up, as it was quite a challenge to get it!, I had it shipped to a colleague in Florida, as one of the few stockists I could find online, wouldn't ship to the UK, they then hand carried it to Angola and we did a swap on a ship on the Atlantic waters off west Africa) - I held back too, as I didn't really know what space I would have to fit it into... but that day is fast approaching :)

Have managed to progress the lighting shelves a bit - almost done on one side now

And remembered to paint the correct side white

I got some quite good quality Chinese made LED strips from an Ebay supplier, I have since found that I have had to augment the double sided tape on them with some woodworking superglue, despite the warnings that came with them that I had to take care where I put them as repositioning was not an option as the adhesive is so strong it will remove half the plaster off the wall along with it! 

My next headache is to try and have a simple way of switching them on and without using too many of the adaptors...... Time to dust down that well thumbed copy of "Simple Wiring Solutions" by Heath Robinson.  You can also see here the track diagram for the small station at Tullibardine and the start of incorrect refinery layout.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #737 on: October 14, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
Good evening Andrew

I don't think there would be many refinery kits that are well travelled as yours.

I'm very happy with my Chinese LED strip lighting even though I didn't have to use superglue to hold mine up. They provide an even warm light and don't use much power.

Webbo

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #738 on: October 14, 2016, 02:40:36 PM »
 :hellosign: Many thanks for the updates & the  :greatpicturessign: Andrew look forward to seeing the refinery, it deserves to be built after such a long journey
regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #739 on: October 15, 2016, 07:06:23 AM »
Pushing on with the lighting shelf, primarily as it will give me some much needed storage space!  Here you can see my plan evolving for switching the shelf lights.  When I wired the van, I fitted a twin switch for the light circuit, I then decided I didn't need two switches, so in earlier photo's there has only ever been a single switch, it was the way of these things that the single switch plate "just" fitted the back box for the double switch, but the double switch plate would not fit the back box for the single switch, so I had 2 incompatible bits lying around!  However that has all gone away now that I have gone back to the using the double switch... you guessed it, the second switch being for the lighting shelf :) 

I had a box of about 15m LV Cable that I got ages ago in a bargain bin from B&Q for 3, so I am using that, I will need to use 4 of the 6 LED strips I bought, trimmed to size, they come with a simple push in round plug/socket arrangement but I will be chopping those off so I can wire them in series.  The plan is to try and run all 4 off one adaptor....

That is all the construction done (just a facing to add at a later date) - I found that the adaptor supplied could only power 2 strips.... when I added a third to the circuit, it cut out after a couple of seconds... luckily I have "Simple Wiring Solutions - Advanced Ideas" by Heath Robinson too, so I hatched a cunning plan, 2 adaptors, both live feeds going through the light switch .... it worked a treat :)  (though does not look very pretty... I may go back and change the "chocolate block" for a soldered joint with a bit of heat shrink over it)

the BIG SWITCH ON!  :claphappy:  Also fitted some 3mm ply to the walls to carry the backscenes that have arrived from Art Printers.  Now I just have to remember to try and balance the different light temperatures in the room!  Bear with me while I do that, though I suspect I will do it in the post production suite when I am reviewing my progress photos

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: October 15, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »
Great progress so thanks for the update.

Getting the lighting colour balance right is well worth the effort.

Not being clever with such things, I've just had installed a new 6 lamp overhead light using dimmable, 5W daylight GU10 LEDS. Really nice effect when you take the lights down and excellent bright working light when needed.

Looking forward to your next post.

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: October 15, 2016, 08:42:28 AM »
More anticipated than the Blackpool Illuminations!!!
Nice job, Andrew :thumbsup:

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #742 on: October 15, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
You are really moving, Andrew.

Your shelf lighting situation is a bit of deja vu for me. Isn't the light temperature determined by the kinds of LEDs you've installed? The Chinese LED lighting strips are pretty amazing, cheap and easy to install once you get the amperages they need sorted out.

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #743 on: October 15, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »

Sadly there were not celebrities on hand to throw the switch, efforts were made to tempt the "Chelsea Girls" (vigorously supported by gentleman farmer, Jim Finch) back to Perthshire to do the honours, but they could not find time in their busy schedule to accommodate it.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #744 on: October 15, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »
You are really moving, Andrew.

Your shelf lighting situation is a bit of deja vu for me. Isn't the light temperature determined by the kinds of LEDs you've installed? The Chinese LED lighting strips are pretty amazing, cheap and easy to install once you get the amperages they need sorted out.

Webbo

Thanks Webbo, you're absolutely correct... I elected to get the LED strip's that were more balanced towards daylight, with an eye to picture taking in the future, however the main lights are a warmer temperature... I may look to swapping them out in the future for daylight balanced ones.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #745 on: October 15, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
Excellent progress, Andrew. You can, (I speak from experience), never have too much shelf space!

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: October 15, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
Great work, the lighting shelf looks really smart. I'm sat reading this while waiting to go get led strips for my layout.
Graham

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #747 on: October 15, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »

Sadly there were not celebrities on hand to throw the switch, efforts were made to tempt the "Chelsea Girls" (vigorously supported by gentleman farmer, Jim Finch) back to Perthshire to do the honours, but they could not find time in their busy schedule to accommodate it.

Alas, the "Chelsea Girls" are all very busy in London but will be on the special train to Perthshire and are very much looking forward to their return journey. However, in view of their previous experiences, they have also arranged to be accompanied by their gentlemen friends: Sylvia's 'beau', Jeremy Corentyn Cador, the dashing naval captain, will also be bringing some of his naval colleagues including a visitor from the US Navy; Giles Roskrow, the Chelsea wine importer; and Jean-Luc. Marielle, Jean-Luc's tri-lingual (Breton, French, and English) Breton cousin, who is the SW England CIWL representative, and works with fellow Breton, Eli together with Sylvia to publicise the "Western Star" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Britanny - Cornwall (via the train ferry between West Porthsea and Port Regleun) service, finds Giles, very 'sympathique'. Eli and Sylvia added Marielle to their party so that she can promote the CIWL "Pullman" service to well-heeled Yorkshire folk planning a holiday in Cornwall and / or Britanny. Marielle has ordered a consignment of best Breton artisan cidre to be transported by "Castle Estates" Ferry Van directly to Cant Cove for loading into one of the BCK's guard compartments of the train. Monique (the Parisienne "Chelsea Girl") is very good friends with the charming, Jean-Luc, who is the manager of the CIWL Workshop at Ostende, Belgium. Alas, due to gauging problems, it has proved impossible to add any CIWL coaches to the special train beyond Wadebridge.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #748 on: October 15, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
The "Chelsea Girls" on Cant Cove station platform waiting for the train to Perthshire. 8-)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #749 on: October 16, 2016, 07:02:20 AM »
After a lot of measuring, re-measuring, then a bit of measuring.... the first backscene panel was put in place, using PVA glue.... which in hindsight was a mistake!  One of the LED strips has a bad connection, seen here, it comes back on when you press it on... sometimes it stays on :)

I have used this corner as my reference point for the height of them, there are 8 panels of approx. 1.3m length each

Second panel up now, the colour cast in the photo's is quite evident now, certainly not aware of it when I am in the van, but the camera is picking it up, that will need a bit more investigation

With the backscene in place, I can start to build up the hill, though I am not happy with the air bubbles that developed, despite a lot of effort to press the backscene on smoothly.... the bubbles still appeared, so I might order a couple of replacement panels, possibly with the self adhesive backing this time and see if that improves things.... I just know they are going to bug me as time goes on!  :veryangry:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything