!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 202342 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #510 on: July 08, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
It just keeps getting better. Thanks for the latest update.

In view of the success of your brake fluid bath stripping off the paint from your Dapol M7, the CLPG is interested in despatching two Minitrix BR Standard coaches (overpainted in BR plain Maroon for some reason) for a similar process if possible? (They have a cunning plan for these two coaches having just had one delivered in Works Grey.) Would it also clean the dirty metal wheels, too? 8-)

A short train for Perthshire is now booked to leave via Wadebridge from Cant Cove early next week.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #511 on: July 08, 2016, 07:42:53 PM »
Looking very good to me.
My only concern............don't have the sauna turned up too hot. It'll play havoc with the track ! :D
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #512 on: July 08, 2016, 08:45:03 PM »
It just keeps getting better. Thanks for the latest update.

In view of the success of your brake fluid bath stripping off the paint from your Dapol M7, the CLPG is interested in despatching two Minitrix BR Standard coaches (overpainted in BR plain Maroon for some reason) for a similar process if possible? (They have a cunning plan for these two coaches having just had one delivered in Works Grey.) Would it also clean the dirty metal wheels, too? 8-)

A short train for Perthshire is now booked to leave via Wadebridge from Cant Cove early next week.

The PRPS are very pleased to hear about the despatch of the 2 CLPG coaches and can confirm that they will have space in the pre-paint-shop preparation pod once the loco formerly known as "Shaftesbury" exits the pod (very imminent), depending on the loco that brings them to Perthshire, it may be possible to show them arriving too :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #513 on: July 08, 2016, 09:02:02 PM »
That's the electrics almost into some kind of order now.  The cable half way up the end wall is to supply a feed to a couple of bench top sockets, my original plan was to have a work bench below the level of the layout here... but having re-worked the entire plan the past 2 weeks after feedback on my challenging station curves... I fear these cables might not be long enough now!  I may end up with an extra socket or 3 on the ringmain!

Part of the defences against airbourne beasties

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #514 on: July 08, 2016, 09:05:02 PM »
The CLPG is very happy about this good news from their good friends the PRPS and can confirm that the favourite loco. of the "Chelsea Girls", the 'Green Dragon', the BR WR Lined Green Standard 5MT 4-6-0 will be working the special train through to Perthshire.

The "Castle Estates" top salesman, Brandon Williams, (also working, outside Cornwall, on commission, for the Alliance of West Country Breweries, "Sam's Cider", North, West, and South Cornwall rail-served businesses, as a business 'hunter'), is up at Hood-dale, Yorkshire, and has signed up some new accounts there. He has also heard that Tullibardine fine malt whisky may well find an appreciative audience there, too!

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #515 on: July 08, 2016, 10:59:19 PM »
That's the electrics almost into some kind of order now.  The cable half way up the end wall is to supply a feed to a couple of bench top sockets, my original plan was to have a work bench below the level of the layout here... but having re-worked the entire plan the past 2 weeks after feedback on my challenging station curves... I fear these cables might not be long enough now!  I may end up with an extra socket or 3 on the ringmain!

Part of the defences against airbourne beasties

:hellosign::greatpicturessign:  Looking excellent Andrew, thanks for the updates
regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #516 on: July 09, 2016, 07:15:41 AM »
Cladding on the other end now & some housekeeping

Sockets all wired up too (except the bench top ones)

Now....where did I put those lights & do I still have 4 of them!

Consumer box all wired up now too - just the skirtings & facia's to go (and the recently added requirement for a functional dado rail)  :beers:

Offline Tractor37

• Obsession or lifestyle, you decide!
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #517 on: July 09, 2016, 07:24:35 AM »
All looking very swish there chap. All you need is a blonde Swedish masseuse and you're set  ;)
Jas..

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #518 on: July 09, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »
All looking very swish there chap. All you need is a blonde Swedish masseuse and you're set  ;)
Jas..

Exactly why I am moving in as 'railway protector', Jas ;)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #519 on: July 09, 2016, 10:57:09 AM »
Jas..

...... the presence of such an individual would most definitely be the last straw for SWMBO - though no harm in an ebay browse :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #520 on: July 09, 2016, 09:15:55 PM »
What is the view about soldering - I was having some success with liquid flux & "straight" solder (or I should say my partner was, as she has a stained glass talent amongst her many skills), but I was reading Mr Lambert's wiring bible & he states that you should only use rosin cored solder....

I will need to get to grips with soldering (but I have a pile of spare sleepers on hand to deal with any melted casualties along the way) but would be good to get the collective thoughts of the folks who look at this thread

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #521 on: July 09, 2016, 09:27:31 PM »
I'll have to ask my landlord as he has done all my soldering. I know that he bought a new, 'finer; soldering iron after melting sleepers the first attempt.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #522 on: July 09, 2016, 10:13:39 PM »
I use rosin cored solder and a non-corrosive flux if necessary. Also I use a chisel shaped bit with a soldering station rather than a pointed bit and the temperature quite high so that the rail heats up quickly and doesn't melt the sleepers. A heat sink is sometimes useful if there is a delicate bit nearby.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #523 on: July 09, 2016, 10:25:41 PM »
OK, here's the poop on soldering...
There are two basic classes of flux. Chemical flux, such as the paste or liquid types, will chemically remove some degree of tarnish/oxidisation. However, they also leave some degree of their active element behind. Depending on how much of the active aspect there is, this can cause failure of a wire after a time. Joints made using this type of flux should be cleaned after completion.
The other type of flux is an oxidisation blocker, resin flux is an example of this type. It works by melting and forming a shield over the joint during the time when it is hot. The resin floats on top of the liquid metal and keeps oxygen from reacting with the tin/lead. The resin burns off quite quickly so work fast. Strictly speaking, the resin should be removed after the joint has cooled but, it is relatively inert and, in practice, can be left. with little or no detrimental effect.
I spent many years working with electronic equipment and training others to do the same and in all that time I have never owned or used liquid/paste flux.
The secret to a good solder joint is to clean all components to be joined and to make every effort to tin all of the involved parts before bringing the joint together. By doing this, a minimum of excess heat is applied to the joint which minimises damage to things around. Also, use an iron that is big enough for the job so that it does not cool down as soon as the tip is applied. Equally, too large a tool will cause ancillary damage. I find that a 25 or 30 watt iron works well for me most of the time.
I have never built brass models so I can't comment on the equipment needed in that aspect of soldering.
I will say that I have never found a need for an expensive temperature controlled iron.
Purely from a personal point of view, I will add that I don't like and don't use the newer lead free solder.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #524 on: July 10, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »
The artist loco formerly known as "Shaftesbury" has emerged from the Pre-Paintshop Prep Pod and after some final clean up, will be sent to the Priming shop, it is hoped that this will give enough time for the various interested parties to agree on what colour of green it should be!  It is thought that Malachite Green is too light and the debate about Maunsell Green, Brunswick Green, Olive Green, SR Green, BR SR Green has rumbled on into the wee small hours in the Golf Inn, Auchterarder, but no-one is sure if any of those are correct for it to be turned out in for Golden Arrow service.  It has, of course, created a glorious opportunity for the more opinionated crusty curmudgeon members of the PRPS to remind anyone who still listens to them that this is what happens when you dabble in locomotives from companies that never set a tyre on the rails of Perthshire

It also creates a space for some much needed coach restoration, 2 coaches are en-route from the CLPG and the PRPS has taken delivery of 3 coaches that require a repaint.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything