!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 147451 times)

Milton Rail and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2016, 12:26:41 PM »
As well as the running locomotives, the PRPS also have some long term restoration projects, which might require some external help!

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
Another survivor from the previous PRPS home - will undergo a bit more weathering when the new home is established

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »
That is a very impressive collection of coaches, Andrew, including a very nice set of Mark 1 Pullmans; I have some of these, too. So a Mark 1 Pullman special behind D1662 which will be replaced by your BR Green Class 47 would be possible with the BR SR Green Mark 1 BCK you have (I have all the second and third generation ones). I think I have / will have the SR lined out green non-corridor coach, too, which could be added as a CLPG preserved coach. (The portion from Trepol Bay could be the SR BCK and preserved coach?)

I don't have any of the Lima Mark 1 coaches but Brian (Mito) does so he can send and receive a special made up of BR Maroon and mock 'Great Western' ones. I see that you have one of the rare Minitrix Crimson & Cream Mark 1 coaches. (Whenever I bid for any the price goes too high.)

Instead of Lima BR Maroon and BR Crimson & Cream Mark 1s, I have similar Graham Farish and Minitrix ones.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:56:41 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2016, 01:45:56 PM »
The goods shed will look very good, Andrew, but with some light weathering to make it look even more realistic. However, being preserved, I'm sure it would be kept in very good condition.

Those poor Bulleid Light Pacifics will certainly need some attention. If you have the original chassis it might be worth posting it / them off to Bob of BRLines for an assessment and an estimate of the cost of restoring them and preparing them for DCC fitting (Bob will prepare them but does not do DCC fitting).

If you get one restored mechanically and electrically it looks like the BR Green one will need relining at least. It looks like either "Hurricane" which Martin (Trepol Bay) and I have (mine is DCC-fitted) or "Spitfire" which is also due for DCC fitting this Spring. You can also buy replacement metal nameplates (I have still to fit mine) which will improve the looks. You could go further with replacement bogies and added detailing packs (which I also have but have not used.) The preserved Bulleid Light Pacific might also be worth detailing. But latest standard Bulleid Light Pacifics are due, this year, from, I think Graham Farish by Bachmann.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:56:22 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I have temporarily mis-laid the chassis's but know I have them, my parts boxes are a bit scattered, and I had to pack up over xmas & NY to allow alternative use of the room :)

Thanks for the advice re: potential source of repairs, will keep that in mind

The numbers on the Bulleids are 34066 & 21017 (I think it is a O between 21 & 17 as it is partly removed... don't think it is 21617) ... I guiltily admit I had them as potential candidates for my scrapyard scene!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I have temporarily mis-laid the chassis's but know I have them, my parts boxes are a bit scattered, and I had to pack up over xmas & NY to allow alternative use of the room :)

Thanks for the advice re: potential source of repairs, will keep that in mind

The numbers on the Bulleids are 34066 & 21017 (I think it is a O between 21 & 17 as it is partly removed... don't think it is 21617) ... I guiltily admit I had them as potential candidates for my scrapyard scene!

Whether they avoid appearing in your scrapyard really depends on how much you're willing to spend on these two loco. models and how useful they would be repaired, Andrew. You (or Bob at BRLines) might be able to make one good one out of the two and then you could put the worst one in your scrapyard? I think it will be 21C107 or 21C117 (Bulleid's unusual numbering scheme). If your 34066 "Spitfire" is worth restoring it could run 'through' once I get mine DCC fitted in a couple of months.

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »
Good advice Chris, thanks for that, you certainly know your rolling stock too, I would never have known that was a rare coach. 

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2016, 07:09:02 PM »
Good advice Chris, thanks for that, you certainly know your rolling stock too, I would never have known that was a rare coach.

My pleasure, Andrew. I have learnt a lot from others, especially on this forum, as well as experience. I'm very fond of the Minitrix Mark 1 coaches and have them in every livery except BR Crimson & Cream. I even have two of the even rarer BR SR Green ones but they are both BCKs. I am still looking for a CK and may even respray one which has a body with the BR Maroon paint damaged. (The SR coaches don't have lining so I would only need transfers for roundels and numbers.)

Offline PeterA

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2016, 01:32:27 AM »
SR numbering was 21 "C" and then the loco number...

Southern Railway

Livery was Southern Railway malachite green with "Sunshine yellow" horizontal lining. A circular cast brass plate with a red background on the smokebox door featured the word "Southern" and the date of manufacture. Bulleid advocated a continental style of numbering, basing this upon his experiences at the French branch of Westinghouse Electric before the First World War, and his tenure in the rail operating department during that conflict. The Southern Railway number adapted the UIC classification system where "2" and "1" refer to the number of un-powered leading and trailing axles respectively, and "C" refers to the number of driving axles, in this case three. However, since "21C" was the prefix already used by the Merchant Navy class, the suffix "1" was added; these locomotives carried numbers that started "21C1" followed by the individual two-digit identifier.

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
SR numbering was 21 "C" and then the loco number...

Southern Railway

Livery was Southern Railway malachite green with "Sunshine yellow" horizontal lining. A circular cast brass plate with a red background on the smokebox door featured the word "Southern" and the date of manufacture. Bulleid advocated a continental style of numbering, basing this upon his experiences at the French branch of Westinghouse Electric before the First World War, and his tenure in the rail operating department during that conflict. The Southern Railway number adapted the UIC classification system where "2" and "1" refer to the number of un-powered leading and trailing axles respectively, and "C" refers to the number of driving axles, in this case three. However, since "21C" was the prefix already used by the Merchant Navy class, the suffix "1" was added; these locomotives carried numbers that started "21C1" followed by the individual two-digit identifier.

Thanks for the extra context, the numbering history of loco's seems a bit odd now and again... I had to do a double take when I was looking at the footage of the "Flying Scotsman" yesterday with the number 103 - I have a photo of the cab and with the new info provided by you guys, it is 21C17 - making it Merchant Navy class "Belgian Marine"

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
I believe that 4472 "Flying Scotsman" was renumbered in late LNER days as 103; hence, it becoming BR No. 60103.

I must admit that I did not notice that the 2nd Bulleid Pacific was a "Merchant Navy". As there is already a new much improved (detailing) "MN" available from Graham Farish by Bachmann you might want to use it as a scrapyard loco. and 'restore' "Spitfire" instead, Andrew?

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »
I believe that 4472 "Flying Scotsman" was renumbered in late LNER days as 103; hence, it becoming BR No. 60103.

I must admit that I did not notice that the 2nd Bulleid Pacific was a "Merchant Navy". As there is already a new much improved (detailing) "MN" available from Graham Farish by Bachmann you might want to use it as a scrapyard loco. and 'restore' "Spitfire" instead, Andrew?

Thanks Chris, that might be a better plan as I think there will only be enough bits for one chassis (from memory)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »
I am a big fan (& former volunteer back in the 80's) of the Bo'Ness & Kinneil Railway and saw this wee scene on a visit there a few years back (Sept '08 ... where does the time go!)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2016, 11:11:10 AM »
..... so, as PRPS is loosely based on the SRPS (I am thinking I might try & recreate part of the station at Bo'Ness for one of the stations) - I thought I might try and recreate this scene in the loco yard

..... enter one 3D printed boiler

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »
I found an old lead container a perfect fit into the firebox!

Only managed to get one coat on it so far, but quite pleased how it is shaping up, just need to find a smokebox door & some safety valves

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here