!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 259811 times)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3600 on: June 30, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »
Morning folks, I received an email yesterday that lifted my sprits.... Rails of Sheffield telling me my order for Thompson Coaches had been dispatched!!   :claphappy:  I bought the teak effect ones, however the family clubbed together and got me some Crimson & Cream ones for a recent brirthday ... so there will at last be a bit of variety on the coaching stock in Perthshire

On the layout, the terra-forma continued continued

The area above Auctherarder station has long been envisaged as an oil exploration site, I have had working version of these nodding donkeys for some time.  The oil exploration has been an important thread in the backstory of the layout, improbable as it is  :)   The area has become a handy dumping ground of tools and equipment, so I decided it was time to move it along.  1st step was to repair the nodding donkey that is operational (though I haven't checked the motor in 8 years!) .... I have 2 of these, so between the 2, I will get one fully restored one.

The well head now exposed and an operator applies the isolation by closing the valve

With the mod-rock dry, I applied a coat of paint to remove the stark white, here is the general view of the River Osc

The Signalling department have also been busy, they were never happy with the signal on approach to Muthil as it was incorrectly portraying the main route

so a replacement has been sourced and while it is still not strictly correct (should really be a 3 post affair to show the bay platform off to the right) ... it is a step in the right direction... the golfers on the right are blissfully unaware of such things

Signal now fixed down and is vertical, the photo is off slightly  :-[

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3601 on: June 30, 2020, 08:59:54 AM »

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #3602 on: June 30, 2020, 12:21:45 PM »
Morning folks, I received an email yesterday that lifted my sprits.... Rails of Sheffield telling me my order for Thompson Coaches had been dispatched!!   :claphappy:  I bought the teak effect ones, however the family clubbed together and got me some Crimson & Cream ones for a recent brirthday ... so there will at last be a bit of variety on the coaching stock in Perthshire

Jealous  :(

Stay safe

Mike H  8)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3603 on: June 30, 2020, 12:29:19 PM »

At last, you can work from home :no:

:laughabovepost:

They wouldn't let me past the gate at a Shell installation  ;D   

Thanks Mike, I have been saving my pennies a long time for these.... a few new LNER variants are well overdue (in my humble opinion!) in the N gauge world - we are well represented in loco's admitedly.

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #3604 on: June 30, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »

At last, you can work from home :no:

They wouldn't let me past the gate at a Shell installation  ;D   

But it's mostly green and yellow - you must have some BP logos around somewhere?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3605 on: June 30, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »
Once you see what I am going to do to it ..... you'll understand why I am happy to leave it badged as Shell :)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3606 on: July 01, 2020, 06:38:27 AM »
I have re-kindled (without an electronic device in sight) my love of railwaymen autobiographies, I remember reading "Firing Days" by H Gasson way back in my youth and recently discovered he had done a few more memoirs, I am currently reading "Nostalgia Days" and have "Footplate Days" on order ... they give a fascinating account of a bygone era and paint a colourful picture of the sense of community and loyalty that surrounded them all.  The very first one I read as an impressionable youngster was "Behind the Steam", centred around Neyland, but I can't recall who wrote that one, sure he was called Bill......

Anyway, I'm sure the LNER men had a few stories to tell, but they are less forthcoming in the written word, but here we see one such footplate team (they must have nipped over to the enginenman's rest) hard at work on a small J11 freight train, pictured sitting at Auchterarder station, about to pull forward and take on water

Back to the nodding donkey and it now looks a bit more industrial .... I was just thinking that I should, after all, re-badge it, but not to bp, rather it should be ESSO, as the fictional oil company in my thread is the "East of Scotland and Strathearn Oil Co" .... and equally, when you see a BP tanker on the PRPS, you should remember it is "Blackford Petroleum" rather than the slightly bigger bp.... (I use the lower case as that is now what we are told to use as they set about re-inventing themselves.....)

The River Osc, is the current focus of progress and I set about creating more of a channel at the upper end, at the outfall from the dam

I extended this under the viaduct too, trying to create the impression of a normal flow channel/trickle ... but with the impression of a wider flood plane when the dam is in spill.  Am taking my time as I building up the area's that will be difficult to get to once the piers are in, then doing some rudimentary landscaping, before fixing in the piers.... but don't want to put any foam/mod-rock anywhere that will obstruct the footings of said piers......  :doh:

another LNER crew pauses at Auchterarder for water, and here we see B12 8577 in a pristine apple green with a short passenger duty

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3607 on: July 01, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
Excellent progress Andrew, all coming together nicely  :thumbsup:
   stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3608 on: July 01, 2020, 12:50:28 PM »
Behind the Steam was written by Bill Morgan and Bette Meyrick, his daughter.

For LNER in Scotland footplate memoirs, Norman McKillop (Toram Beg) was a prolific author in the 'fifties and 'sixties.  He wrote articles for Trains Illustrated and the Mecanno Magazine.  Perhaps the easiest to source is his book Enginemen Elite.  Much of his writing concerned 'his' (when Haymarket drivers had 'their' engine) 'A3' 'Pacific' Spearmint.

Also well worth reading is Charlie Meacher who had a fair bit published in the 'seventies.  LNER Footplate Memories and Living With Locos are well worth reading.

Coming a bit more up to date, the late Harry Knox's Steam Days at Haymarket was published in 2007 and is excellent.

Finally, Harold Gasson's last book, Signalling Days is worth a look.

I have a feeling that, due to the wonders of our Forum, I might just be able to post a link that could be of interest.  I'm away to look...

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3609 on: July 01, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »
With an electronic device very much in sight, I purchased https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074J6T87Z/ a week ago.

I also flagged https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUHP61V/ as worthy of investigation, although I'll have to save up for that one :D

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3610 on: July 01, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »

Excellent stuff, thanks for all the literary references John, Steve... Morgan! that was it  :)

I have Signalling days at home, didn't bring it out with me, I got that one along with Nostalgia days.  My other reading material is Railway Ghost stories.

I lent my kindle to Mrs Milton, I don't think I can get it back now  :goggleeyes: 

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3611 on: July 01, 2020, 01:18:02 PM »
And here it is, courtesy of @Bealman and @rogerdB

http://meccano.magazines.free.fr/html/1958/5805/58050222.htm

Happy reading.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3612 on: July 02, 2020, 06:37:40 AM »
With the drilling rig suitably grubby, it was able to be sited on the layout - when I was building this hillside, I had the foresight to insert a metal tube into the polystyrene so that I would be able to channel the wires down without much trouble

So here it is, back in position ready to be fixed down

The outfall from the dam beginning to take shape

as is the river bed further down

Final checks on the positioning of the next 2 piers prior to fixing them in place

... and no going back now! the drill rig glued down & the gaps in the baseboard plugged with Das modelling clay

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3613 on: July 02, 2020, 07:23:34 AM »
I apologise if I've missed it somewhere in the last posts, but does that oil well work?

Go up and down, I mean.... even though you could become an N gauge magnate if it really worked!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:25:02 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3614 on: July 02, 2020, 07:30:20 AM »
Donkey looks excellent Andrew.  :thumbsup:

Dam area taking shape nicely too.  :beers:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31