!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 224217 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3300 on: December 21, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
Thank you very much, Andrew, for this fabulous film.  Your layout is a terrific achievement and it is really helpful to have your guided tour to see how the various scenes all fit together in a coherent whole.

Your commentary is excellent.  It is fascinating to hear a modeller describe their layout 'in their own voice'; this really adds another dimension to the enjoyment for a viewer.  I recall remarking upon this effect with regard to a film Laurence kindly provided a while ago and I noticed the same with yours.

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #3301 on: December 21, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »
Wow - so much space, yet so many interesting scenes, rather than simply having masses of endless parallel straights, which too many layouts have, I feel.

A huge achievement in terms of vision and design. Years of development still to come of course, but isn't that the whole point?

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3302 on: December 21, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
Thanks John & Mike, not something I have done before, but glad it has been interesting, I did 4 takes.... and in all 4 I forgot to mention what I hope will be a big feature on the layout, namely the oil fields and the drilling derricks!   :doh: 

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3303 on: December 21, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
I must add my thanks for the superb video Andrew, top class modelling sir,  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3304 on: December 21, 2019, 11:55:22 PM »
 :thankyousign: Brilliant video. Very enjoyable.

How on earth are you going to get to the Distillery to work?  :goggleeyes:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3305 on: December 22, 2019, 07:28:24 AM »
Thanks Derek & Chris .....  when I put it all together, I was optimistic about how much access space to leave up one side and at the back ..... it was to be an incentive to not gain weight (ahem) ... but I can still just get around to that bit at the back, albeit tight and a bit restricted .... though I think I will change the perspex to plywood at the station as it is a bit too flexible and distorts when I brush past and keeps sliding the footbridge out of position.

Thank you for all the great comments on the video tour, wasn't sure how it would go down, but pleased it was well received.

The alien loco nudged out of the shed, teasing the assembled photographers about its identity

But was finally revealed to be 4464 "Bittern" much to the assembled groups delight.  It had been rostered in secret to relieve the DP1 on the Christmas Party Special

A small video of this running session, apologies it is on the dark side (and not in a good, Star Wars-esque context either.... not that the dark side is good  :worried: .... but I digress!), I rely a lot on the natural light that I get from the van door, but I filmed this one in the evening and when it is dark outside, it shows in the pictures and videos, but that is on the list to improve in 2020 :)

4464 powers ahead on the up line (running right way this time) while J25 5650 in a sombre LNER black livery heads a long and colourful freight made up of salf wagons

That's a lot of salt!

The salt train is held at the entrance to Loch Osc tunnel while the intermodal frieght backs out onto the mainline .... it was going so well until the last few seconds!  Gonna need to call that break down train out  :doh:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3306 on: December 22, 2019, 09:51:53 AM »
1st vid
One of the best Simple Minds tracks (IMHO)
A very nicely weathered A4
A long rake of the unusual peak roofed salt wagons

2nd vid
Quelle Horreur! Mon Dieu!
That could have been a dreadful pile up.

Great stuff!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3307 on: December 22, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »
Thanks Mick, I have visions of you now dusting down your "Sparkle in the Rain" album whilst enjoying a pre-Cristmas egg nogg on Kimbolton   :beers:

Hope you spotted the milk tankers   :thumbsup:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #3308 on: December 22, 2019, 05:59:57 PM »
Great videos :thumbsup:
It's nice to see a complete incomplete layout. A lot of excellent modeling there.
A bit of a woopsie in the last video but I imaging in real life reversing a train carries more risks.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3309 on: December 23, 2019, 07:12:29 AM »
Cheers Brian!  was just asking a bit too much of the smaller container wagons ... had a similar derailment there while trying to reverse my long tar tanker train (almost typed tart anker there.... but that would be weight for your crusty fruit filled treat! so something completely different!)

If you have watched the video, the tarmac in front of Nelson Mandela House won't be new to you, it's not been glued down in this pic.  Will use some more of the excellent pavements from Dizz here too and build up this scene in 2020

The TTA tanker barrels emerge from the paint shop with a decent black waist band, had a bit of leakage on the soul plates, but I will be able to touch that up.  The all black one just has to have the masking tape removed, it isn't a different livery variant

One last look at 4464 Bittern before she goes on shed for the night

A couple of run outs for my older DCC conversions this time, Sir Nigel Gresley  gets a run out after several years in storage!

and lastly, the old girl herself, the pride of the LNER fleet, 4468 Mallard.  Was nervous about rostering these 2 loco's as the last time they ran was back in 2012 when my old layout was boxed up into storage, but after a few stuttering starts., they ran very well  :sweat:

pretty much the same picture but without the flash this time

Not sure if the two carriages with the lights out are just not light bar fitted or ready, but was sure I hadn't included any non LBR stock in this rake, something to check!

Last photo update from me for a couple of weeks  as I have served my pennance to my employer and heading back home today, weather permitting, but it is looking favourable and the first fixed wing flight north from Aberdeen has left on time  :beers: - so just remains for me to wish you all a fantastic Christmas and a brilliant New Year when it comes.  I am looking forward to seeing all the wonderful layouts on the forum going from strength to strength next year as well as meeting the new ones as the year goes on.  Hope Santa is as good to you as he will be to me  (.... I just know he will  :angel:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #3310 on: December 23, 2019, 08:42:49 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Nice pics and vids. Wishing you a safe trip home and hope you have a great Christmas and New Year too.

Will miss your updates but looking forward to them next year if the Tullibardine doesn't impede your layout building progress too much over the holiday.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3311 on: January 18, 2020, 06:56:28 AM »
Hello from Perthshire and a belated Happy New Year folks hope you are all having a fine start to 2020

I got home from work on the 23rd and felt like Santa had come early :)   

With the distillery looking to broaden it's product base, molasses traffic is becoming more frequent and ex Caley loco 419 can be seen here running some empties on the branch along with with an EWS 100T fuel tanker

The yardmaster at the distillery has been especially busy, with C Class loco 1294 waiting to run some supplies into the yard to be offloaded

a fresh batch of grain wagons is also waiting to be offloaded

ex Southern region M7 30253 in BR lined late crest livery takes charge of the PRPS vintage set of birdcage coaches (yes ... I finally caved & stumped up for a set!  8) )

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3312 on: January 18, 2020, 07:33:34 AM »
I suspect that you're back at work now, but I hope we can look forward to a long and graphic account of your exploits with the PRPS during your shore leave.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3313 on: January 18, 2020, 08:38:16 AM »
Morning Laurence, that is correct, had a couple of delay days in Aberdeen due to weather, but back at work now and have a few updates to share from Perthshire  :beers:

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #3314 on: January 18, 2020, 08:50:41 AM »
Welcome 'back' Andrew - Are those magnificent looking molasses tankers Revolution's 35T Class B's?

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal