!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 217020 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3255 on: December 12, 2019, 06:50:59 AM »
The house could just have been abandonned, like so many in the highlands.  Once the roof starts to leak, its surpriosing how quickly the whole thing turns into a ruin.  Also, locals may have pilfered some of the stonework for their own repairs.  It's not unknown.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3256 on: December 12, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
Very true, thanks Laurence

Where did the year (and month) go.... that is me half way through my advent calendar already (or should that be advent tower!)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3257 on: December 13, 2019, 06:45:06 AM »
As much of a surprise to the railway folk of the PRPS as it was to the Carriage & Wagon works staff ... a project rolled out of the shed, completed in double quick time!  The wagons have been washed with a diluted india ink solution, built up in layers, quite subtle, but gives a nice effect

.... a subtle effect that is destroyed by the crates :)

56019 in Railfreight red stripe livery takes care of a small parcels working

while the yard workers finally have a respectable pavement with which to cross the Railway Yard bridge

There was a lot of chatter in the Golf Inn around the sighting of a behemoth loco in a weird new experimental livery in Perthshire, many were made to swallow their scoffs of disbelieving derision when the evidence in a short, shaky 8mm cine film, hastily caputured from the Railway Yard bridge was put before them.....

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3258 on: December 13, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
 :hellosign: :greatpicturessign:
  Thanks for the latest updates Andrew & DP1 looking excellent in the video  :thumbsup:
         regards Derek

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3259 on: December 14, 2019, 06:57:09 AM »
DP1 poses on the viaduct

.... before picking up a smart rake of Cream & Crimson carriages that have been laid on to convey the Distillery & Refinery workers to Edinburgh for the Christmas market as well as their Christmas party.  The guard had to be pretty smart with the boarding as only the last 4 carriages were able to fit the small platform at Tullibardine 

The remaining passengers boarded at Auchterarder (apologies for the blurry photo, seems the photographer was already hitting the mulled Buckfast!)

The happy excursion departed south .... although it is not clear why it has been subjected to a for wrong line order ....

....all is quiet again in Auchterarder now the revellers have departed, 56019 in smart Railfreight red stripe livery awaits the starter at Auchterarder to depart with a railfreight working.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3260 on: December 14, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »
I remember the first time I saw The Deltic, as it was know in those days, thundering through Rugby Sation on the straight through lines.  In those days, Rugby station was simply an island platform with bays at each end and the avoiding lines were away from the platforms, so through trains didn't have to slow down very much.  It was an impressive sight and the model is still impressive to this day!  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3261 on: December 14, 2019, 08:14:46 AM »
I agree Laurence, never seen one at full tilt or even out in action at all regrettably, but even silent & cold in the NRM York, they are impressive locomotives up close. 

Thanks go to Mick @Newportnobby for facilitating the arrival of this one to Perthshire   :beers:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3262 on: December 14, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »
Certainly an impressive machine, Andrew.

I've seen it and was impressed by the livery.

When BR introduced the post-modernisation plan diesels, they were in various degrees of steam-era green which developed a bit over time.  Then that boring blue which made diesel locomotives look either slab-sided or, sometimes, tubby - the 'Deltics'.

Contrast this with the USA, where the opportunity was usually taken to adopt jazzy and attractive liveries.  Think of the ATSF or Atlantic Coast Line - not an opportunity missed.  I believe that EMD employed designers to advise their customers on suitable liveries for their new diesel units.

Many thanks for these photographs showing goings-on in Perthshire.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3263 on: December 14, 2019, 10:23:44 PM »
 :hellosign:
    Thanks Andrew, superb videos & they show how good your platforms have turned out   :thumbsup:
       regards Derek

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3264 on: December 15, 2019, 06:52:49 AM »
Thanks Derek, I am happy to have the platforms done, I would do them differently next time as the imperfections aren't too hard to spot and there was a slight "incident" with recently acquired rolling stock that is a touch wider than the usual stock I have ..... but they were my 1st attempt at scratchbuilt ones and had a tricky S-curve to build in, so on the whole I am happy with them

I took some time to work on the other side of the Railway Yard bridge, creating a grass verge of sorts, to create the terrain, I used a good dollop of neat PVA hoping it would dry in a lump and not find a fissure in the bridge and leak away to the track below...... 

here are the railings I intend to use here, I have had a large stack of Scalescene accessories knocking about for some time & it is good to be finally using them, seen here after being sprayed with Halfords matt black

I have a couple of packs of this style, so should have plenty to complete the bridge, though it will be at risk of catching on sleeves  :worried:

Just as the excess flock was being removed, Austin Spindler the Balloonist passed overhead and caught a couple of aerial shots

I quite like the little indent, will keep that as a sort of impromptu layby that the local spotters use when they park up.  The phone box & post box were just an idea as they were knocking around when I was taking the photo ... not sure whether to keep them here ... they do add a wee splash of colour

back to more drastic changes, decided I couldn't live with the trackwork aberration at Tullibardine, so took the decision to lift the whole crossover and take the track up down the branch too......  hoping for 3rd time lucky this time!

and another shot of those thirsty revellers making their way to their party - apologies how dark the videos are, somewhere on my to-do list is to make a lighting rig for stills & videos, but I think I will beef up the overhead lighting in the van too, when I fitted it out, I used four individual LED circular ceiling lights, I might replace them with something bigger, maybe LED tubes.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3265 on: December 15, 2019, 08:00:49 AM »
I think the phone box and post box need a slightly wider bit of pavement.  In my experience, post boxes tend to be set at the curbside of the pavement with the letter box facing the pavement, while phone boxes are usually set back from the pavement or located at the back of wider sections of pavement, with the door facing to the side.  But they do look good on your layout.  I have what appears to be the same set, but I have yet to decide where to locate them.  I must make sure I have wide enough pavement for them somewhere in the town.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3266 on: December 16, 2019, 06:48:19 AM »
The permanent way gang have been back in action, they don't mind working on the track here at the Tullibardine station, as the Station Hotel is right in their eyeline and but a short hop to reach, additionally the distillery send a few nips down to keep them warm.  Track relayed and nothing to do now but cross everything in sight

The testing team were given the green flag and the first transits by carriage stock were promising, so I bit the bullet and re-soldered the the track droppers and re-instated the DCC connections.

With the DCC re-connected, it was time to test with a train.....

A hungry young spotter on the platform took a picture of his favourite carriage :)

More testing after a few tweaks and track cleaning

The C&W works were setting new records with the pace they were getting projects progressed, the new tankers taking shape.

The track gang put the station hotel behind them as they moved up the line towards the distillery to fit some point motors, don't feel too sorry for them though, it took them much closer to the distillery!  A veritable forest of point motor rods has sprung up at the distillery junction

After having had a couple of point break when I have gone to snip the control rods ... I have a new cautiousness about this step!  but that is now all the motors fitted in the distillery area, there is one that I don't have room for due to a major brace..... but of the 3 dozen I have fitted, this is the first location where I have had no space to fit one - will need to think on what I need to do here.  That just leaves the refinery sidings and fiddle yard to have point motors fitted.

I have taken delivery of a Z21 for control of the points, will see how I get on with that as the local push buttons I tried using hasn't worked out the way I hoped.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3267 on: December 16, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »
Crossover looks better but may still require track either side and the point blades being given a deep clean. What do you use to trim your actuating rods with please, Andrew?

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3268 on: December 16, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »
Hi Mick,   I have a set of heavy duty wire cutters ... I have learned to support the tie bar with a spare finger when I do the snip, as the failures seem to have been a result of the sudden shock when the cuttters snip through ..... since I modified my technique, I haven't wrecked any more points  (I hope they don't become famous last words!  :doh: )

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3269 on: December 17, 2019, 06:35:15 AM »
Time to see if my attempts to put a bend in the canopies passes muster ...

The old tarpaulin is a throw back to the previous layout these canopies were built for and may have had its day, not sure. 

I was relatively happy with the canopy on the down platform, so I completed the up platform and happy to say I managed to mix a decent match to the original roof colour, had originally thought I would need to repaint the entire roof again.

A general aerial view of the station from the southern end.  Next job is to decide how best to fix these a bit more robustly to the platforms, for now they just have "feet" of clear plastic on 2 of the uprights, was contemplating the method I think @lil chris used on his East Lancashire Lines of attaching rods to the columns and inserting them in holes in the platform to allow the canopies to be removed for track cleaning etc.

I was happy with the newly laid track, so I refitted the point motors (really hard part of the layout to get to... I was thankful once it was done!) and think I can tick the box on this repair job, jut the ballast to replace now

Now the track is restored, it's time to go and work on my video editting abilities  :-[      I have a bumper edition video (for me at least) coming in a few days time that I hope you will enjoy

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal