!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 216779 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3180 on: October 21, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »
I used Copydex when I laid my track in the Train Shed and it worked really well.  However, after a couple of years, I began to notice signs of creep in the storage loops, where some of the rail joints were begining to show a noticeable angle.  I have resorted to using track pins to pin the track either side of the joints to try to straighten them a bit.  Thirty odd years ago, when I built my previous layout, I used pins exclusively, so I think that, next time, I will used pins again.  It does mean a lot of drilling with a 1mm drill, but the track never moves again and it is relatively easy to remove them again with a small pair of long-nosed pliers.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3181 on: October 22, 2019, 06:58:32 AM »
This is my first layout where I have used the glue/ballast technique, the return to hobby layout I started building in 2008 used the foam ballast inlay & pins approach (though don't think I was as dilligent as to drill holes in the sleepers first) and even that was a step on from my very first layout 40 odd years ago which from memory (and of which there is very little photographic evidence of) was just pinned down by dad. 

Back in Perthshire, with a renewed post TINGS mojo, I finally started building the footbridge after several nights of painting, lining and glazing.  I used glue & glaze, which I am getting more adept at applying.  You can just make out the painting on the internal walls, I was pleased to discover that Glue n' Glaze takes acrylic paints no problem  :sweat:

With the platforms fixed down, there was no excuse not to start getting on with the yard, the first step being to glue down the access road - I hummed and hawed about this as I was worried about track cleaning ... but I can get the track mop under it easily & didn't remove it anyway.  In the bacground the sheet of wet 'n dry for the back half of the yard is being fixed in place, I just use PVA glue and it seems to hold it down nicely providing you get some pressure on the edges to prevent them curling.

A bit of Das clay serves to blend the ramps into the baseboard a bit better

Then it was time to complete the rest of the yard - if I was more organised, I would have a battered old Transit van and a gang of blackstuff boys in evidence... but I only ever think about things like that after the event!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3182 on: October 22, 2019, 07:37:14 AM »
Looking good Andrew, especially the footbridge roofing.  :thumbsup:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3183 on: October 22, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »
Thanks for hosting my minor digression. It has been very helpful.

The rusting on the roof of the footbridge looks amazing. This is going to be a very good station methinks! :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3184 on: October 23, 2019, 06:38:17 AM »
At long last, something recognisable as a footbridge is starting to emerge.  Thanks for the kind comments about the roofing, that turned out better than I was hoping  :beers:

Final piece of the 'tarmac' goes down on the yard approach road, needed to get a bit inventive trying to hold down the edges

The goods shed can now have it's final position set, using a fully laden "Terry's" van that arrived at the same time as the mysterious Sir George Widgeon horsebox as a gauging vehicle. 

I started to toy with pavements, have had these whitemetal bits floating around for a number of years, but I think they look a bit wide for this location

The cattle dock is also in something like its final position.  The goods yard and cattle dock were both salvaged from the first layout I built after returning to the hobby, they have survived a couple of house moves and I am still quite pleased with them.  The colour scheme of the goods yard doesn't quite match the rest of the station, but I think I will explain it away as grey undercoat ... maybe an opportunity to have a team of painters applying the maroon top coat.

Much to the delight of the Auchterarder yard team, Knight & Day, while unloading the Terry's van, they found a box marked "For the attention of the load handlers, please enjoy!" 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:39:40 AM by Milton Rail »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3185 on: October 23, 2019, 07:39:51 AM »
Maybe have a path on just one side of the bridge?  :hmmm:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3186 on: October 23, 2019, 07:55:28 AM »
I started to toy with pavements, have had these whitemetal bits floating around for a number of years, but I think they look a bit wide for this location
I think the width of the pavement is OK, but they look a bit chunky.  Most kerbs are 3 -4 inches high, which equates to about 0.5mm in N scale.

The footbridge is really good!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3187 on: October 23, 2019, 08:09:50 AM »
I’m in the “pavements too wide” camp.
Coffee stirrers ?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3188 on: October 23, 2019, 08:25:42 AM »
Thanks chaps, I have a cunning plan involving some thin balsa and some cobble-esque textured paper I got from Greece of all places.... i got it to do a cobbled yard effect in the distillery, but have several sheets of it .... watch this space  :)

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #3189 on: October 23, 2019, 10:49:09 PM »
That footbridge is really special - well worth all the fiddly painting.

I'm a bit worried about the gradient the petrol tanker's approaching - is a molten salted chocolate disaster imminent? ;)

Mike
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:16:11 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3190 on: October 24, 2019, 12:26:09 AM »
OMG! That footbridge looks amazing! Dashed fine work Andrew!  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3191 on: October 24, 2019, 07:09:41 AM »
 :goggleeyes: the emoji is the look on the tanker driver's face the first time he came to the yard and it's infamous access brae! 

Thanks Chris, I am chuffed with the way it is coming together

Spent a bit of time scrapping back the ballast so the cattle dock could sit at the right distance from the track, the first layer of flock has also been hoovered up

Austin Spindler, the local celebrity hot air balloonist was passing overhead and took a shot from a more unusual angle.  He is often seen, low over the station, much to the chagrin of the station master, but he is careful to avoid the times when any steam engines are in the station as he wants to avoid unexpected thermals!

Next steps in this area will be to add some fencing and add a few more cattle and a bit of "off to market" activity.  I also managed to locate the extra bits that go on the tracks to represent the draining channels too, not bad considering they have been in storage for 7 years!

With the components starting to be ready to assemble, time to start locating the footbridge on the layout

As well as try to pick a good angle, this one a bit more of a footplate view from the up platform

I need to judge where a support will go on the left hand side, near the engine shed, think the length of the footbridge section will just clear the tracks nicely, then just need a small additional section from the 3rd kit to close the gap

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3192 on: October 24, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »
The footbridge is a real masterpiece.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #3193 on: October 24, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
Thanks chaps, I have a cunning plan involving some thin balsa and some cobble-esque textured paper I got from Greece of all places.... i got it to do a cobbled yard effect in the distillery, but have several sheets of it .... watch this space  :)
If you can wait a few days Andrew I'll send you some laser cut 0.8mm ply pavement for the bridge (as used on Churston Bridge:
V impressed with your (inspirational) progress, all excellent work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 06:20:28 AM by railsquid, Reason: fix image link »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3194 on: October 24, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »
Thank you Pete, that is very kind of you, I think I am a little bit unusual ( :-[ be kind!) on the forum, in as much that I post my updates retrospectively.... as I work rotaton and away for 3 weeks, followed by either 4 or 5 weeks at home.  I use the updates as a means of passing the time at work, posting my updates over the 1st couple of coffee's of the day, watching the (usually wild) weather out of my offshore window!   How much I post depends on how much I managed to do while I was at home, but my first few days at work are usually spent organising the pictures, re-sizing them and uploading them.

That is a long winded way of saying that the cobble pavements have already been tried, but the pictures are still in the "future release" category ..  I still have other areas in need of pavements, so I would still be keen to accept your kind offer :)  .... and also, if the collective view of the forum is that the cobble-esque one's look naff when they make their debut (on Monday  ;) ) then I can always lift & replace

The other downside of posting retrospectively is that it is harder to join in the 'through running' as the strory line has often moved on by the time I get back to work...

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal