!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 202330 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3165 on: October 19, 2019, 07:30:31 AM »
One more Class 66 nd you'll have tripple chips, but hopefully not tripple cooked!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3166 on: October 20, 2019, 07:04:47 AM »
The permanent way gang returned to Tullibardine to try again with the troublesome track

I know perspex screens are not everybodys cup of tea, including me, but this is my primary way of getting to the back of the layout (the other being crawling under the boards!) and I already regularly disturb any rolling stock on the headshunt when I brush past.  The addition of a fragile footbridge will only serve to increase the number of obstacles to I need to negotiate.  There is still a fair bit of work to do at the back, so I have erred on the side of caution over aesthetics.

With the platforms fixed down, did some clearance checks again with 'Ivor' - still a couple of tight spots  :worried: but will see if it is a problem once I run the mainline trains.

Meanwhile in the project yard, the painters started the tricky application of the maroon, started a bit of the roof weathering as well

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3167 on: October 20, 2019, 07:09:54 AM »
Excellent progress report! Thanks for posting!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3168 on: October 21, 2019, 07:02:14 AM »
With the rotten weather outside, was able to bash on with painting all the parts prior to assembly. 

...... nearly there, getting a bit cross-eyed with all the thin lining!  Between that and keeping track of which sprues I need from which of the 3 kits made it a good test for the old grey matter.  I only needed one of the three small square parts along the bottom edge of photo, but I painted all 3 in cream and then used the neatest one for the final step which was the addition of the maroon

Ivor @ Auchterarder, seen through the protective perspex..... not too distorting hopefully

The train now arriving at Tulliabardine is not in service ... merely a 1st go at trying to test the track, I still need to solder up the droppers and also address the problem of the points changing themselves, which you may recall from further back in the thread was a problem that manifested itself after I started fitting manual push buttons to all the point motors.  Seems to only be 3 pairs of points that are affected .. this crossover, the mainline one that consists of 2 curved points and a crossover in the yard at Auchterarder.  Anyway ... the track seems marginally better ... but still not convinced I have fixed it  :(

Lastly for this update, now the platforms are fixed, I added ballast to close the gap between platform wall and track

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3169 on: October 21, 2019, 07:40:54 AM »
Perspex screen is barely noticeable. All looking good. I remember Perspex screens on those permanent exhibition layouts anyway.

Are you planning on having your footbridge just end in the air or will you use a raised fascia to support the edge-of-baseboard end to represent the bit of land it attaches too? May help to support/protect the whole shabash.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3170 on: October 21, 2019, 08:00:55 AM »
Hi Chris,

Plan is to have it end at the edge (suitably supported as it goes) and then the use the perspex as a window into the footbridge  interior (though it will be quite dark) ... which means I have given myself the job of painting the inside faces of the kits too  :doh:  your suggestion sounds much more sensible :)

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3171 on: October 21, 2019, 08:03:39 AM »
You could do both which may be even better. Just a retaining wall just like at Gleneagles.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3172 on: October 21, 2019, 08:18:36 AM »
Very true.... the perspex is a bit flimsy, so that idea could look better ... thanks for the idea  :beers:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3173 on: October 21, 2019, 08:21:18 AM »
Pleasure my good Sir!

BTW, would you ever use PVA glue to hold track down? I hear a lot of talk about Copydex and wonder what I should do. I hear you have done a little track-laying in your time!

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #3174 on: October 21, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
If I may hop in, PVA is great but Copydex, being latex based is easier to work with especially if you need to lift the track to adjust or if plans change.

I've used PVA and a diluted Copydex for ballasting and found that the latter delivers a slightly lower noise level. Ready mixed ballast glues I discovered tend to make any drumming louder so have only used that on a short run of track.

I'm sure there are plenty of views on what is best - apologies for the interruption!   :)

Dave G

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3175 on: October 21, 2019, 08:52:10 AM »
If I may hop in, PVA is great but Copydex, being latex based is easier to work with especially if you need to lift the track to adjust or if plans change.

I've used PVA and a diluted Copydex for ballasting and found that the latter delivers a slightly lower noise level. Ready mixed ballast glues I discovered tend to make any drumming louder so have only used that on a short run of track.

I'm sure there are plenty of views on what is best - apologies for the interruption!   :)

Dave G

No apology needed daveg. Thank you for your input! Very useful. Food for thought. :thumbsup:

So I can dilute Copydex with water/washing-up liquid and use that to glue ballast?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:55:35 AM by chrispearce »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3176 on: October 21, 2019, 12:37:27 PM »
No Problem Dave

Chris, I have only ever used neat PVA glue to fix down the track on this layout, have only had a couple of occasions where I have had to lift it ... I have tried the diluted mixture for ballast, but most of my most recent ballasting has been done using ballast magic, had a few issues initially as the mix was too weak, but have resolved that now and it works pretty well (though my ballasting does not bear too close an inspection!)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3177 on: October 21, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »
Just to butt in....I use Copydex to  fix track down (plus copious tins of beans/soup/tomatoes etc) and find it works really well.
Never thought of using watered down Copydex for ballast though. I might give that some consideration. Or perhaps practise on a short bit of track first  :D
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #3178 on: October 21, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
This is really useful. Thanks all. It's just I don't want to have to buy Copydex unless there is a special reason for doing so.  :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3179 on: October 21, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »
This is really useful. Thanks all. It's just I don't want to have to buy Copydex unless there is a special reason for doing so.  :thumbsup:
Chris
The good thing about Copydex is that it holds the track firm but if you do need to lift it later it comes up easily and leaves no mess.
I simply lever up gently with the end of a steel ruler then peel the copydex off the track and/or baseboard if any is stuck there.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything