!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 216778 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3150 on: October 14, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »
I have lot of respect for the time and effort people put into exhibiting their layouts, loved the extra mile this team went to in order to celebrate IKB  :beers:

After a fun filled day at TINGS (and a very successful bread making day for Mrs Milton) it was time to head for home.  On the way back (there was no cuddling with Jack & no cider bottles opened  ::) ) we stopped at the tea room on Carnforth Station - lovely set up there and a great museum.  Sadly the model shop was closed (understandable given it was Sunday)

I did get a peek over the wall into Steam town, a feast for the eyes, but a limited view.  At least the West Coast Railway class 57 in Perthshire is looking in slightly better fettle.  A shame too that Steamtown no longer open to the public.

In a short preview of what was procured for Perthshire at TINGS (besides the splendid Ransomes & Rapier 45t crane) here is a new yard crane that has been pressed into service at Auchterarder - Yard superintendant Jack Knight gave it a whirl while yard hand Sam Day took a snap for posterity.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3151 on: October 14, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
  Thanks Andrew, looking like an excellent day & a very nice crane.
       regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3152 on: October 14, 2019, 05:10:21 PM »
Thanks Derek,

Between this yard crane & the 45t Ransomes & Rapier crane, TINGS was a very uplifting experience :)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3153 on: October 15, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
The train now arriving at platform 2 is the Procurement Special from TINGS  :)  Hauling this array of lovelies is Q1 33016 - I have had my eye on this loco for a while, the prices at the Dapol stand were enough to tip me over the edge

A couple of milk tankers follow, Co-Op & St Ivel and then a lovely VEA by Sonic/Revolution (accessory pack still to be fitted, but great to see some instructions included as to where things should go!)

2 wagons picked up off the "Wagon Works" stand, a Modellbahn special of Albion Brewery & Ace of Spades and the twin pack of "B Russell" produced by Osborne's

A "New Medway" GPV and a PO good van in the livery of "Henry John Casson, Government Contractor".  They are alongside a couple of tankers in the livery of Sinclair Union and Cleveland Discol.  Think these were all picked up on the Wagon Works stand.

Another bargain from the Dapol stand, a Blue CCT and a very cheap weathered hopper "John E Pace" from the Anoraks Anonymous stand.

Bringing up the rear is a GW Siphon, part of a multi item deal being offered by Dapol

I picked up some other loco's, these will be making an appearance shortly  :beers:

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #3154 on: October 15, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
Glad to see your posts again Andrew :)
Good photos, helps me recover my layout mojo too (which did a runner at the start of August). Particularly like the IKB team layout: I have an affinity for that bridge and have a laser cut version spanning the door opening on TB.
last 2 months not all lost time though because I have been learning a new "skill set" and you should see some results soon ;)
Pete

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:21:35 AM by Dizz »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3155 on: October 15, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »
Great to hear from you Pete, I don't mind admitting I was looking at the IKB layout and caught myself thinking ... "I know of a better one!"   :-[  Not to take anything away from theirs, but the one you have crafted is awesome.

Sounds intriguing, this new skill set of yours, can't wait to see the results  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3156 on: October 15, 2019, 01:10:49 PM »
Excellent choice Andrew.
The Q1 is a favourite loco class of mine and I must let the Trepol Bay version have a run sometime.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3157 on: October 16, 2019, 06:54:02 AM »
Back in Perthshire at the PRPS, the Diesel Sub-group met to discuss the possibility of preserving a Class 15.

On the face of it, it didn't seem too complicated a project.  Some of the more carmudgeon members of the group grumbled that maybe they should concentrate of finishing some of the projects they had already started i.e. restoring the J45.  The argument for the new project held the day though and a plan formed to aquire the necessary engine parts put in place

It just so happened that the whereabouts of such a donor chassis was known (ebay watch list!) and after a chat with a man who happened to have a dog they could talk about as well .... a plan was agreed to bring it to Perthshire.  That is how 20063 found itself temporarily parked on the UP mainline, north of Auchterarder one fine morning, having been hauled in tandem with class 25/2 loco 25225 in a handsome BR blue livery from its former home

I have an older Poole class 20 that is still DC, plan to strip that back to a dummy chassis, using this body shell, while the DCC fitted chassis of 20063 will become the traction unit for the class 15 project, livery & number to be decided (though if I undertake that myself, it will likely be BR Black!)

Is a lovely looking loco though.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3158 on: October 16, 2019, 07:35:40 AM »
Class 15 will be a nice little project, and with all that weight I would expect it to run exceptionally well and pull absolutely anything.  (Unlike the real locos which were a bit of a disaster for BR all round.)

Richard

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3159 on: October 16, 2019, 07:46:14 AM »
Nice new stock and an interesting project.  :thumbsup:

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #3160 on: October 16, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing the Class 15 project develop. I find your non-RTR stock one of the most interesting features of the PRPS!

Mike
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:44:41 AM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3161 on: October 17, 2019, 08:19:54 AM »
Thanks Mike!  You never know if folks find the posts interesting or not!

Picking through the BHE stand at TINGS was a treat, along with the class 15, I also picked up a few water towers for the platforms on the layout (though given the location, LMS variants would be more llikely).

Here they are being prepp'd for a coat of primer ... Would appreciate any thoughts you have on what the colour scheme should be

While I had the primer can to hand, I also did the sprues for the next bit of kit building, some Greenmax footbridge kits for Auchterarder.  The way it has emerged, I havn't left myself any room to have a station building here, which lent itself quite nicely to how things were in the days of Crieff Junction.  The plan has always been to have the station building "off plot" and have a footbridge emerge from the edge of the baseboard, I have just never put my mind to how it will be done .... until now :) .

Here is a hazy old picture of Crieff Junction (aka Gleneagles) in its hey day.  Another example of a line closed that wasn't on the Beeching blueprint, rather as a result of pressure from the growing influence of Motor Omnibus operators, who won the day with false promises (nothing new there & a portend of the way Stagecoach came to dominate the privatised bus world!).  Admittedly the line beyond Crieff to Comrie was uneconomical, but that was not the case for the branch to Crieff   >:(  This view is from the south, you can see the station builiding to the left of the picture and the 2 lines that the footbridge span are the lines off to Gleneagles hotel and Crieff.

or more recently, you can see the second span more clearly in this picture, linking the platforms to the old station building (now a private dwelling)

The bridge was ultimately removed and the whole station approach (for cars & buses) was remodelled in time for the Ryder Cup in 2014 and what used to be the Crieff lines is now the car park & bus stop (it did have the positive benefit of removing the hazardous entrance from the busy A9 thankfully)

The kits I procured a while ago, during a spending spree on PlazaJapan  :-[, were Greenmax footbridges and while these kits are not a true likeness to the prototype, I think they will serve my purpose suffciently, time will tell whether you agree or not!

I had a long debate with myself (over a couple of glasses of wine) ... as to what the colour scheme should be .. I have some station canopies from an earlier layout that i have kept to re-use and they are cream and maroon.... I figured it was easier to match in with them rather than go for my favoured cream and green.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3162 on: October 18, 2019, 06:21:24 AM »
Continued with painting up the sprues - to span the gap across the tracks, will need parts from 3 kits (which fortunately, is the same number as what I ordered!)

I also realised that now the footbridge was being built, I still needed to fix down the platforms, I was a bit nervous about this as there were still a few clearance issues to resolve & they would be harder to fix once it is glued down .... a long period of testing, remove, sand & test again ensued, using the class 08 with outside cranks.  Here is the Down platform being persuaded to stay flat while the glue dried

Cl 66 diesel '66789' comes into the "engineering shop" to get an upgrade to it's control systems

It requires a next18 decoder & Gaugemaster have handily applied arrows to the bodyshell to help remind you which way round the shell should go

Trying this decoder, should work well hopefully as it is a Dapol built loco

Not much too it, removal of the balnking plug reveals the socket

and the decoder drops right in, does not feel as secure to me as the 6 pin decoders, but I have fitted 2 or 3 now and they haven't come loose.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3163 on: October 19, 2019, 06:30:16 AM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
 Thanks Andrew, all looking good.
     regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3164 on: October 19, 2019, 07:18:05 AM »
Another 66 comes in for chipping

Decoder of choice :)

"Western Glory" was destined to get one of these cheap Hattons decoders, but they are cheap for a reason and I guess one of them is they are quite bulky... once installed, I couldn't get the body shell back on again!  The Digitrax one was too long... so in the end, this got a Lenz Silver mini as well.  There wasn't a lot of room to work under there at all! I didn't dare disconnect the lighting wires for fear of not getting them connected again  :goggleeyes:

Get a lot of wheel slip off this loco, should it have traction tyres?  Any tricks out there to help loco's get a better grip?

Was then the turn of the Up platform to get fixed down.

I couldn't justify another trip south so soon after TINGS, so I had to get the Dapol open day wagon by post, very pleased with it though :)

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal