!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 182548 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3090 on: July 15, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »
Morning Andrew,

Thanks for the post, pics and your patience. I'd have given up by now with all those problems, hence my Kato track.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS While I'm here, can I just ask if the Tullibardine Whisky decals that you kindly included are like the ones you used to get with Airfix kits, ie. bit of warm water or are they different these days. I don't know the difference between decals, transfers etc. Also, are they black lettering on a white background or just black lettering on a clear background so the wagon has to be white? Hope makes and sorry for being a bit tick.

Thanks Chris, Kato track is very appealing right now  :'(

the transfers just need a soak in tepid water - they are clear with black lettering, so the receiving van needs to be white.  The process I used was to apply a coat of Klear polish (or closest equivalent)... just to give it something akin to a gloss surface to adhere to then after applying the transfers, a dousing with Microsol to soften it and form around the surface embelishments.

Good luck!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3091 on: July 15, 2019, 10:11:51 AM »
Hi Andrew

I'm sorry to hear about your point control problem.  I know you're using Cobalts but are they digital or analogue?  I am using digital and I simply program each one to an accessory address (for crossovers I give both points the same address).  They are all then programmed from my DCC controller.  All you need is a list of the accessory addresses and Bob's you uncle.  I have gone further by grouping points together as routes so that I only need to know the route number from A to B to set all the points for a train to run. 

This information may be of no use to you whatever.  :doh:

Thanks John & Laurence .... the railway personnel were ever resourceful in making sure this minor mis-hap didn't affect the service unduly!

They are the digital IP cobalts, all programmed fine and they all work from the command station without any additional movements ... but when I operate one from the local control panel ... say point number 82 ... number 99 & 96 also operate ....  infact 99 goes through a few movements.  I will have to do some more fault finding but was open to any suggestions on whether you think it is worth trying to shield some of the wiring, to reduce possible interference?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3092 on: July 15, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
Hi Andrew

You don't need any screening.  In fact, you don't need any power at all.  If you are using push switches, you should connect the common to Connection 8 on the Cobalt and the other side of each push switche to Connections 7 and 8 respectively.  All that is needed is to short circuit between Connection 8 and either Connection 7 or 9.  When you push one switch the point will change one way and it will change to the other direction when you push the other.  I'm not sure which is which, but a simple trial and error test will get them the right way round.  My personal choice would be to use a SPDT centre off switch because, then, there is no possibility of shorting the whole thing out, which could happen if both push switches were pushed at the same time.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3093 on: July 15, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »
 :hellosign:
So sorry to hear of your electrical problems Andrew, I'm afraid I'm no help I too am a Kato user but normal service can resume shortly.
      regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3094 on: July 16, 2019, 10:35:21 AM »
Thanks Derek

During all the cable pulling, I manage to knock the distillery engine shed off the layout (don't tell Mick it was too close to an unprotected edge!  :whisper: )

Have managed to repair it cleanly, just the window to re-fit ... can see a little bit of a crack on the lintel, but that seems quite prototypical  :thumbsup:

This rail-tour is not having a very good time of it when it comes to accessing platforms .... on arrival at Auchterarder they found the road to platform 1 blocked by a set of 4 LNER teak coaches that had been tagged "Do Not Move" ... so a bit of smart thinking by the train crew saw the passengers use the doors of the 2 carriages at the front of the train.

But it does highlight just how neatly those 4 Minitrix coaches fit onto the loop .... not that any of that has impressed the yardmaster, who was last seen stomping off to the shunters shack to find out what the problem was with the carriages and why they were blocking platform 1!

The loco still looks grand in that livery though

Lastly from me, before I head back home (though we are still fog bound just now) - continued with trying to assess the right signals for the branch, think this one is just about right, controlling the access to the distillery yard.  I think I can get away with having in on the hill rather than cutting out a bit of the hillside, but open to feedback :)

I have tickets to the DRS open day at Carlisle Kingmoor depot on Saturday ... so hoping this fog clears up by then!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3095 on: July 16, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »

During all the cable pulling, I manage to knock the distillery engine shed off the layout (don't tell Mick it was too close to an unprotected edge!  :whisper: )

Too late :telloff:
Go and stand on the naughty step (if you can find it in the fog!)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3096 on: July 16, 2019, 01:37:21 PM »
 :laughabovepost:

:(  can't find it in the fog ... which means I am stuck here another day

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3097 on: July 16, 2019, 11:00:09 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
     Hope the fog clears soon for you Andrew, signal looking good to me  :thumbsup:
        regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3098 on: July 17, 2019, 08:31:20 AM »
Thanks Derek, still fogged out here .... and I have ran out of pictures to post .... still, will give me time to catch up on some of the other threads!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything