!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 202308 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #3030 on: July 03, 2019, 06:57:13 AM »
Thank you for the kind comments, I will check if that is the running number of the spare CIWL coach I have when I get home Derek & let you know, the other spare CIWL coaches are the longer wheelbased ones that will also be sold off.

More spaghetti wiring that will hopefully improve the operatability of the layout

Had I planned for these control panel locations, I could have saved a lot of extra cable runs, but as it is, I have enough of that old telephone wire to complete the connections.  All the cables are now ran (and I remembered to put some identifiers on each end of the cables this time) and now just need to fit the point motors around the distillery yard to complete the job.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3031 on: July 03, 2019, 07:27:49 AM »
Thatís very colourful spaghetti.  I do hope that it all connects up correctly. :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3032 on: July 03, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
Thanks Keith, the colourful display is designed to distract the viewer from my shonky soldering  ::)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3033 on: July 03, 2019, 02:19:03 PM »
Thanks in advance for tonight's nightmare, Andrew :doh:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3034 on: July 03, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »
 :sorrysign:  I forgot about that ...... I'd better warn you about some of the upcoming updates too then .... prepare yourself for a few sleepless nights  :worried:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3035 on: July 03, 2019, 03:17:44 PM »
Wiring.......really is the stuff of nightmares  ??? :confused2:

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3036 on: July 04, 2019, 07:41:27 AM »
Having spent a couple of hours on my knees under the baseboards running the cables and hooking up the 2 point motors that were already installed (which I am pleased to say were working fine & in harmomy with the command station once I swapped the wires around), I turned my attention to the disillery points ..... but it is tricky to relate what holes you see under the baseboard with the ones above... so I slipped a wedge of balsa wood down one hole to give me a reference point

what became apparent is, that at some point, the holes I drilled for the point motors and the actual location of the points above them are no longer in the same place ..... cue for some very tentative drilling under the board to try & elongate the hole .... followed up with some scalpel and knife vork .... all of this in a cramped corner of the layout in poor lighting and with sticky pads on the motors that refused to stick!.... no wonder I called a halt to installing point motors for the day!  But I did get one more fitted and working.  I estimate I have another 2 that I need to try and drill new holes for.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3037 on: July 04, 2019, 07:44:39 AM »
the area around your viaduct looks pleasant

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3038 on: July 04, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »
Thanks crewearpley40, that was one of the first scenic areas I finished (well it's not quite finished) quite a while back ... I am slowly joining up the scenic bits I have done in a scattergun, butterfly kind of style of progress

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #3039 on: July 04, 2019, 11:08:35 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign: Thanks for the updates Andrew
     regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3040 on: July 05, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »
Not much to report today other than a bit of a challenging decision!  Since re-igniting my N gauge passion 11 years ago, there was a pause for 15 months due to personal upheaval/2 house moves etc., but in general I have dived in and had a whale of a time buying and collecting all things N gauge!  That has led to a situation where I am running out of room and now buying duplicates of things because I forgot I already had them. 

So, fed up with tripping over boxes of rolling stock and the like, I decided to embark on a major stock take..... which I almost immediately regretted as soon as I started as .... for the simple reason that for the first time Mrs MR could see the extent of everything with it all in one place .... she was quietly impressed (I think) with just how much came out of a 2m x 5.5m van!

I already had a spreadsheet detailing the loco's I had (though I was not confident it was fully up to date), the plan was to update that to include all the rolling stock.  Thereafter, I would set some parameters... x number of a particular item to make up sets of carriages, x number of freight of a particular livery ... and sell all the duplicates  :'(   if only to dispel the unfounded & misguided notion that Mrs MR has that I am some kind of hoarder who can't let go of stuff  :angel:

I'll bore you with the stock take pics later, but for now, an empty Auchterarder station

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #3041 on: July 05, 2019, 07:13:44 AM »
A brave move....!  :uneasy:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3042 on: July 05, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »
Indeed a brave step to take.
I also have far too much stock. Initially, as I started in N) I bought stuff from Ebay but never look at it now. The only stock I now buy, and itís hardly any, is anything I donít have.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3043 on: July 05, 2019, 08:31:12 AM »

I'll bore you with the stock take pics later, but for now, an empty Auchterarder station...

What a glorious opportunity to indulge in some track cleaning!

It's probably a very good idea to have a sort of plan, as you describe, and try to buy things that fit in with the plan.  I have now semi-adopted this discipline and am buying a lot less then I did when I returned to British 'N' gauge.

Best wishes with your bold endeavour.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #3044 on: July 05, 2019, 11:10:19 AM »
Auchterarder station looks very good, Andrew, with the rocky hills behind. I look forward to seeing the 'Great Sale' items! 8-)

The problem is when you want to cover a lot of time periods, particularly, on a preserved railway like yours. Influenced by others who shall remain nameless [ 8-) ], the time period for Cant Cove has been extended back to 1956 which means duplication of coaching and goods stock to include early BR liveries. Originally, 1960 was to be the starting date when rather less early BR liveried stock would have been running. (Although I had set 1967 as the end cut-off date, I had always planned to extend into the BR Blue & Grey livery, early 'Railfreight' livery period but with far fewer models.) I had also always planned, based on the Newquay WTT, through running of ER and LMR Summer weekend passenger trains so have plenty of Gresley and Stanier stock (still reasonably priced), as well as regional BR Standard ones and will be purchasing some Thompsons, too, (although they will, I know, be VERY expensive). At least, I have all the Colletts and RTR Hawksworth coaches in both BR liveries and all the BR Standards in all regional variations. Although I am replacing older BR Standard ones and older Dapol coaches (not designed for fitting light bars) with newer models made to the latest standards. Eventually, I will have to go down the kit route to fill in gaps, particularly SR catering cars and Hawksworth BCKs and sleepers. Then, there are the "Pullman" and CIWL trains, with now Transeuropa couchettes for more 'through' running!

At least your and my DCC-fitted loco. fleet should be a good investment and the exchange rate (for me) is very favourable. I have even exchanged two DCC-fitted locos. for replacements to keep total fleet size down. The aim is to have the last few locos. DCC-fitted by Douglas at Wickness by year end, preferably earlier, in case there is a 'hard' Brexit in October.  There are, though, rather more locos. awaiting the highly skilled attention of Gideon and Tony. At least Spain is, like the Czech Republic, remaining in the EU, so some will go from Gideon to Tony. I still have too many Dapol 'Prairie' tanks, including the last two not DCC-fitted.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:12:12 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here