!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 233286 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society
« Reply #2760 on: January 28, 2019, 12:31:07 PM »
No Andrew, you don't need to wire it to the points at all.  The name frog juicer is a bit misleading because that's its main use.  However, it's really just an automatic polarity selector which changes the polarity when it detects a short circuit.  It does this in a few milliseconds, so the controller doesn't notice the short circuit.  If you isolate a run of track at both ends, long enough to fit the longest train without overlapping either isolation point, you can connect one frog juicer to each rail of the isolated section.  The frog juicers will automatically select the correct polarity for the track as your train passes over it.  That makes for a seemless traversal without the need to stop and change polarity.  I hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:34:31 PM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2761 on: January 28, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »
Thanks again Laurence - what I have is a long length of several meters of track, bounded by a point at each end.  As part of my early attempts to address the short, I cut the line about half along it's length and inserted some IRJ's .... The point at one end in an electrofrog, with IRJ's on the Frog .. I think the point on the other end is an insulfrog ... do you think it is enough to work with? 

I havn't used a frog juicer before, is it only connected by 2 wires within the isolated section or does it straddle the isolated section?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2762 on: January 28, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
Hi Andrew

Scrap the IRJs half way along and insert IRJs to both rails at the point frogs at each end to isolate both rails of the whole section.  I have always used hex frog juicers (in fact I have some spare if you would like one).  They have two input connections, one to each side of the DCC bus and each individual juicer has a single output.  When used as frog juicers, that wire connects to the frog.  But in this case, you need to attach the output of two juicers, one to each rail in the isolated section.  It's actually quite simple to install.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2763 on: January 28, 2019, 08:05:37 PM »
Thanks again Laurence, I was looking back through my thread, on pg 132 (where does the time go!) I have a bit more of a diagram, and you helped me wih advice then too!  If I read your advice correctly, I will need 2 juicers?

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2764 on: January 28, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
 A hex frog juicer has six juicers on one board, although you can get dual ones with only two.  If you'd like a hex juicer (you may be able to user the other four outputs on live frog points) I can let you have one.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2765 on: January 29, 2019, 07:45:18 AM »
With the station platform at Muthill starting to take shape, I could move onto other aspects of the station.  From the outset, it has been my intention to make this station a small homage to the preserved station at Bo'Ness, a place where I grew up and a project I spent a few years volunteering at - one of the jobs I remember doing was painting the iron work on the resited carriage shed that was rescued from Haymarket, Edinburgh.  It sits on the main platform, adjacent to the station.  While I never intended to scratch build something similar, I have found a ratio kit that will do the job for me

The supports and ironwork are no where near as intricate as the protoptype, but it will do for me

During the testing with the outside frame Class 08 shunter "Ivor" (in RTC livery) .. I remembered there was a faulit in the bay platform line, I think this was the first electrofrog point I had ever used, and I neglected to put in any IRJ's .... I bit the bullet and lifted it to rectify the situation - here it is re-fitted

Another couple of additions to the preserved rolling stock make their debut, a small rake of Hawksworths in GWR chocolate & cream

Class 35 D7035 arrives to move the carriages back to the sidings after their trial run

To get the effect I am looking for, I need to cut out some of the panels on one side of the carriage shed

one done, this will be the side that stands on the platform

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2766 on: January 30, 2019, 08:15:40 AM »
Part of the challenge of the large station platform was keeping it relatively level and not getting twists ... some heavy weights have helped with that as the top surface goes on

A general shot of Fiddle Yard 1, showing some of the continental rolling stock floating around Perthshire

The class 121 trundles up the branch towards Tullibardine with the 10:17 from Auchterarder

After several seasons of watching Masterchef Austraila, it struck me that the plating tongs that George uses might be good for placing figures and other small items on the layout, so I got my self a pair...Mrs Milton's hopes of some michelin star worthy culinary delights were dashed when I explained why I had got them

With a big gulp (of something)... I committed to securing down the platform! 

This is the first one to be properly fixed down on the layout (still have some fine tuning to do on the clearances on the Auchterarder platforms before I can fix them down) ..... the problem of what to do with the backscene is becoming more pressing, but a plan is beginning to form  :hmmm:

Class 08 Ivor is drafted in to test the clearances and the electrical rework ... both are good now  :claphappy:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2767 on: January 31, 2019, 07:08:44 AM »
With the sides cut out and the painting done, I joined the 2 sides together

In preparation for the anticipated winter weather, Perthshire took delivery of a snow plough, seen here as part of a Network Rail train hauled by 97302

With the sides joined, I started to put the ends on, a bit of a balancing act!

I now have the basic shell of the carriage shed, a bit less fancy than the victorian prototype at Bo'Ness, but pleased with how it is shaping up

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2768 on: January 31, 2019, 08:21:52 AM »
The carriage shed is coming on very nicely.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2769 on: February 01, 2019, 12:27:29 AM »
 :hellosign:. Many thanks for the updates Andrew, taking shape nicely
   :greatpicturessign::thumbsup:
      regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2770 on: February 01, 2019, 06:59:47 AM »
One of the "develop as we go" bits of the layout is evolving, when I was building the platform, I had the thought to make one end of it an old redundant bay from distant days, partly to add interest and partly to help with blending in the backscene at this end.  In the PRPS world it will become the location of 2 preserved 4 wheel coaches (not sure if it will be these two), just seeing how it looks.  The idea being, these will be used as either the gift shop or as refreshment cars (there is something similar at Bo'Ness, where they have converted their 2 old Swedish passenger carriages to be a home for a large O gauge layout ... in roughly the same location as I have these). 

Aerial photography enthusiast Dave Rone was out and about and captured a more unusual angle

The carriage shed now has a roof and I have rigged up the supporting wall on the non platform side, using an offcut of station platform walling

Testing with "Ivor" and a long mk3 coach was successfully concluded

Will be weathering down the whole structure, so the less than perfect painting on the end gable should be masked a bit

Mr D Rone was also able to capture the carriage shed in its approximate location

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2771 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:50 AM »
The carriage shed fits in very nicely!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2772 on: February 01, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »
I would like to be able to say it was all carefully measured ...  :sweat:

The prototype spans both tracks, but that wasn't possible here

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2773 on: February 01, 2019, 08:45:12 AM »
Looking good Andrew.
I think that carriage shed looks good.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2774 on: February 01, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
I really like the carriage shed, but could you please ask Dave Rone to stay away from airports please? :worried:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal