!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 250373 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1425 on: May 24, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply, Andrew. So, still plenty of work to keep the PWM department busy. Do you have a ballast train? Once all the track is laid and 'powered up' you should have a highly impressive layout to enjoy watching the trains run on. However, even the basic scenic ground work is going to take considerable time.

When will be the BR ScR goods yard be open for business, do you think?

As for the hill how about a ruined abbey like at Whitby? A local brewery could continue the former community of monks' brewing tradition by producing 60/-, 70/- and 80/- Abbey Ales in a range of styles?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:49:24 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Steamie+

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1426 on: May 25, 2017, 07:02:22 AM »
Thanks Rod, good ideas, other options are more golf course, just rough ground, old ruin, a road (I have lots of cars & vehicles to use) ... the options are only limited by our imagination, one of the great aspects of our noble hobby :)

Thats so true Andrew and i really love Chrisís idea for the brewery even more lol. Imagine drunkern Monks rolling about the ground. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1427 on: May 25, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
First bit of the mainline down, then I took up the surplus cork.  I also added the point that provides access to the up goods yard

47594 proceeds towards the gorge as part of some trial runs following the upgrades to its control schemes

I turned my attention to the gorge again, started adding the base grass covering

I made up another 2m cartridge, the Umber & Cream Pullman set took up occupancy

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1428 on: May 25, 2017, 07:15:12 AM »
Thanks Rod, good ideas, other options are more golf course, just rough ground, old ruin, a road (I have lots of cars & vehicles to use) ... the options are only limited by our imagination, one of the great aspects of our noble hobby :)

Thats so true Andrew and i really love Chrisís idea for the brewery even more lol. Imagine drunkern Monks rolling about the ground. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brilliant :)  It just so happens I do have a set of monks (and nuns) in my population box :)

Steamie+

« Reply #1429 on: May 25, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »

Brilliant :)  It just so happens I do have a set of monks (and nuns) in my population box :)

HaHa, send out the invites when it opens please Andrew.    :laugh3: :laugh3:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1430 on: May 25, 2017, 08:52:22 AM »
Getting better all the time.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1431 on: May 26, 2017, 07:00:05 AM »
The Carriage and Wagon dept took some steps to improve the lighting in some of their rolling stock - 1st up is a Gresley 3rd class coach

The roof has a firm but not impossible grip to free off, a nail or thin tool (from mobile phone repair kit) along each edge is enough to pop it off an reveal the socket for the light bar

I had enough light bars for 5 coaches - I opted for the yellow coloured LED's to give a more atmospheric look

After working out the right way round for the plug, it is pretty straightforward to fit the light bar

Some of the roofs seem to hold the  light bar better than others, maybe a moulding issue, or maybe there is an exact place for them to sit & I only managed to find it a couple of times!

Roof back on and you would not know it was there :)

A4 60027 "Merlin" - newly returned from overhaul & control system upgrade is being steamed to allow testing of the new lighting on the branch line

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1432 on: May 27, 2017, 07:17:02 AM »
Could not resist photographing the attention to detail by Dapol in the buffet car

The 5 completed coaches, marshalled ready for collection by the locomotive

Merlin sets off from Tullibardine with the illuminated coaches

On the Branch line - occupants of the 3rd class carriage had a few issues

Luckily the electrician was onboard to quickly sort out the source of the problem (not quite clean track/pickups)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1433 on: May 27, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
Very nice work, Andrew. Interior lighting does make such a difference. With Cant Cove due to fully lit this summer, I can already see the nice project for my landlord (and the next expense for me) have lights fitted to all coaches likely to be used after dusk. The Dapol ones will be easier (at least those designed for light fitting) than the Graham Farish ones. I have strip LED lights but fitting pickups and wiring will be a complex job. Changing some coach bogies from BR1 ones to Commonwealth ones (e.g. late model BR SR Mark 1 BCKs) can be done at the same time.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1434 on: May 27, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
Thanks Chris, I am liking the carriage lighting - I initially thought I only had 5 Light Bar Ready (or LBR on some of the box labels) but upon closer inspection of the bogies, there are another 5 that have all the pick ups... so I have ordered some more to fit (unfortunately, the place with the best price only had 4  :'( )

Steamie+

« Reply #1435 on: May 28, 2017, 03:11:39 AM »
Those coaches are brilliant Andrew, unfortunately i donít have any LBR coaches so if i went down that road, which i will, once i get my new layout sorted with the new track, but it will mean i think that i will have to get the pick ups sorted i think separately. Lets have a  video of them running on your layout please Andrew, love to see them.   Happy Modelling Andrew.    :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1436 on: May 28, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »
Thanks Rod - a video is on my to do list and is getting nearer the top (slowly)!

Travelling 1st class to York on the ECML (a big treat to ourselves) I was browsing one of the modelling mags (railway modelling, before anyone says anything!) and came across an advert for this fellah - Class 24 97201 "Experiment" in RTC livery I couldn't resist owing to my time earlier in my life as a chemist/lab tech.  It is seen here on the test track being ran in prior to fitting the DCC decoder

Once it was ran in for an hour in each direction, it was off with the body to see what was involved

Simple matter of replacing the blanking card with a Digitrax DZ126IN

Onto the programming track, with fingers crossed as I have been having mixed results with this, can't get some loco's to take a new 4 digit address.  Got some good advice to try from Douglas at Wickness... very much looks like operator error at the moment!

Thankfully, programming this one was fine (03170, seen here in the foreground, converted by Wickness, is one of the little tinkers that is proving obstinate in that regard!)

I did go all out and buy the two accompanying coaches in the RTC livery as well - photo to follow

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1437 on: May 28, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »
Very nice, Andrew. I was going to ask if you had bought the pair of matching RTC blue and red coaches to go with the Class 24/1.

Is your 03 170 the weathered version?

Steamie+

« Reply #1438 on: May 28, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
Thats a nice loco Andrew wish i had the confidence to open up my locoís, you seem to be a bit of an expert at it lol. Just been looking at your layout again and you have solved a bit of a predicament i had with putting my Viaduct and bridge on the ďNew Roedann ViaductĒ layout after ripping the old one up.  Happy Modelling Andrew.    :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1439 on: May 28, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
Very nice, Andrew. I was going to ask if you had bought the pair of matching RTC blue and red coaches to go with the Class 24/1.

Is your 03 170 the weathered version?

It is Chris, lovely model... and fortuitously, if I can't resolve the programming issue... it is stuck on 03!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal