!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 250376 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1395 on: May 20, 2017, 07:18:53 AM »
Above ground at the new long train storage facility :)

1st of the 2m long cartridges glued up with Kato transition piece, track and buffer stop

The Blue/Grey intercity HST set takes occupancy of the section - the cartridge can take 10 mk3 coaches with a little bit to spare

I had some 1m cartridges in use with no where to store them, so I created another underboard area to put them.  They are a bit vulnerable at the moment, but once all the trackwork and scenic cover on, they will be fine.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1396 on: May 20, 2017, 07:23:17 AM »
Whilst they will give great stability, don't you consider the steel brackets to be a bit "over the top".  :D

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1397 on: May 20, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
Maybe :)  they are bits that were removed from the van during the restoration and are brilliant for applying point pressure to trackbeds or just adding weight :)   

Steamie+

« Reply #1398 on: May 20, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »
Brilliant system Andrew, they are some length of trains.    :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1399 on: May 20, 2017, 11:52:24 AM »
Cheers Rod, the 2m ones are a bit unwieldy!  I also need to drop the height of the underboard hangers as they curve quiet a bit and the carriage roofs catch, but other than that, I am quite happy with the system so far

Steamie+

« Reply #1400 on: May 20, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
Cheers Rod, the 2m ones are a bit unwieldy!  I also need to drop the height of the underboard hangers as they curve quiet a bit and the carriage roofs catch, but other than that, I am quite happy with the system so far

Block and Tackle on a "A Frame" might help you Andrew.  lol.   :laugh3: :laugh3:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1401 on: May 20, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
Or a differential pulley!  :wave:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1402 on: May 20, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
You've both reminded me of my old physics schoolbooks at high school that had various Heath-Robinson designs on the covers of great contraptions :)  and of course my favourite Inventor, Gromit (and his faithful companion Wallace)  :)

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1403 on: May 20, 2017, 11:37:49 PM »
 :hellosign: :greatpicturessign: Nice storage system Andrew, thanks for the updates
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Steamie+

« Reply #1404 on: May 21, 2017, 06:12:32 AM »
You've both reminded me of my old physics schoolbooks at high school that had various Heath-Robinson designs on the covers of great contraptions :)  and of course my favourite Inventor, Gromit (and his faithful companion Wallace)  :)

Wallace and Gromit, now that is a pair lol.    :laugh3:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1405 on: May 21, 2017, 07:19:29 AM »
Seems to be lots of thread talk about test tracks, so thought it is co-incidental that I made a start on mine!

While I was outside the van working on the test track frame, I realised I needed to finish the painting now the weather had improved so I taped up the window panes in readiness

My trusty assortment of weights used to assist the gluing process

And here it is roughly in situ (after a LOT of fettling to make it fit!) under the main layout.  Not sure I am entirely happy with it at the moment as it doesn't pull out as far as I had wanted, but it is early days... I want to get on with running in loco's so I can fit decoders etc. so it will do for now

With the baseboard glued down, I could start to plan the track routes according to the Anyrail plan, but with some minor adjustments (as always!)

Steamie+

« Reply #1406 on: May 22, 2017, 06:52:05 AM »
Great test track Andrew and itís better i feel than a rolling road, i turned mine around and ran them again but only for 15 this time forward/reverse, while i got on with taking the Peco track up. You will find i hope that you are doing some thing else whilst the locos are running in and of course you can test the DCC decoders has well.    :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1407 on: May 22, 2017, 07:22:23 AM »
Very true Rod, is quite often the case now, that while the test track is in use, I am working on other bits of the layout (unfortunately the board directly above sometimes, so need to be careful) and it is great to be working with the sound of a loco running in the background - I even found myself outside doing jobs, with the timer on my phone keeping track of the running in durations .... caused bemusement as my partner never knew whether it was an ebay bid ending or a loco needing reversed :)

With some decent weather, it was out with the paintbrushes for some 1:1 scale modelling!

The branchline has progressed a little bit, getting the point laid that will create the reference point for laying the down mainline (this is where I start to find out how good my planning has been!)

another small milestone, completed the track at Muthill, though still to add droppers and complete the power district

Steamie+

« Reply #1408 on: May 22, 2017, 08:21:55 AM »
Very true Rod, is quite often the case now, that while the test track is in use, I am working on other bits of the layout (unfortunately the board directly above sometimes, so need to be careful) and it is great to be working with the sound of a loco running in the background - I even found myself outside doing jobs, with the timer on my phone keeping track of the running in durations .... caused bemusement as my partner never knew whether it was an ebay bid ending or a loco needing reversed :)

With some decent weather, it was out with the paintbrushes for some 1:1 scale modelling!

The branchline has progressed a little bit, getting the point laid that will create the reference point for laying the down mainline (this is where I start to find out how good my planning has been!)

another small milestone, completed the track at Muthill, though still to add droppers and complete the power district

Wow Andrew thatís the 1st time i have seen your shed and i must say thats very impressive, a real looking wagon has your train shed, BRILLIANT.    4  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1409 on: May 22, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »
Thanks Rod, this is what it looks like with the outer doors closed over - should get it painted BR Bauxite by the end of June :)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal