!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 250480 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1245 on: March 30, 2017, 08:54:58 PM »
Just a straightforward vino collapse Keith :)  I like a wine that is free from deceit or pretence, so I always choose a nice French sincere  when I can  :D

Coming along in leaps and bounds and looking great. :thumbsup:
A good Spanish wine could help you even more but the Spanish keep the best for themselves. :) :beers:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1246 on: March 30, 2017, 09:16:08 PM »
thanks Brian, yes, I do believe I could get myself into trouble with a nice Spanish wine too :)  am a fan of a good Rioja :)

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1247 on: March 30, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
Somebody told me that if every square metre of La Rioja was planted with vines, the wine produced would not cover the amount sold as Rioja wine. There is a lot of "blending" done!
If you can find them try wines from Galicia. Duero and Toro are my favorites. The difference is similar to Beaujolais and Burgundy, Galician wines being lighter. My evening meal is not complete without a couple of (large) glasses of wine. :pint:  A slightly smaller glass, but not much :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #1248 on: March 31, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »
I just had a look at what Google has to say about Rioja wine as I don't know anything about it. The Rioja region is tiny. I'll have to look out for a bottle from there to try it out.

Unfortunately, because Australia has such a large wine industry of its own, we really don't get the selection of foreign wines that you would in the UK. I'm quite (very) partial to reds and I like to try the different styles available from other parts of the world.

Webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1249 on: March 31, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »
What a wonderful way to go off topic :)  I hadn't appreciated that about the Rioja region was so small.  I am very partial to the wines of NZ & Australia.... then there is South Africa... its a past time almost as diverse & expensive as N Gauge!

One of the limitations I am coming up against now on my layout is that having maximised the track plan, I am pretty close to the backboard at a couple of stations - haven't worked out what to do at Muthill yet (where the problem is most acute), but at Tullibardine, it is only the two goods sidings that are affected...... so I started work on the goods shed, but it is going to have to be low relief - this is the Peco one with it's base cut down to size

I was trying to use the magnetic corners I have, had to use the offcut to keep the gap correct

This is the base shell I ended up with (please tell me if the "step by steps" are not interesting & you rather just see the end result!)

As you can see, the new baseboard has quickly become a workbench!

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1250 on: March 31, 2017, 07:34:18 AM »
As you can see, the new baseboard has quickly become a workbench!
Don't they always!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Steamie+

« Reply #1251 on: March 31, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Please keep on doing the step by step Andrew, i think most of us would like to know how things are made, unfortunately not everyone does this, so it is left to being explained in detail how to do it, i think a photo and a few words can tell people more donít you.   

But sometimes i have forgotten to post photos or i have posted photos and not said what i have done.  Double  :doh:

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #1252 on: March 31, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
I'm also partial to the flavour of South African reds and Chilean wines are worth a good look as well.

As for cluttering up vacant boards with stuff, I'm a master at that. As I build my layout, I realised that this can't go on so I invested in a whole lot of shelving. This seems to be keeping my problem at bay at least for the time being.

And, I fully support Steamie's comment. 

Webbo

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1253 on: March 31, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
How are you getting on with the magnetic corners, Andrew?
I have a set from York Modelmaking and they will be put to use soon.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1254 on: March 31, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »
They work well when you are building a full kit, I have found them less than useful when there is half a wall missing, as you will see in the coming days & weeks... there has been a lot of kit chopping going on.  I keep forgetting that you can use them to assemble the parts dry... get them square, then add the glue in behind.... I keep gluing up the corners and then trying to hold them together while fitting the magnetic corners  :doh:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1255 on: March 31, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
That's the first tip for using them.  :thankyousign:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1256 on: March 31, 2017, 08:45:40 PM »
The problem with wine tasting is that eventually you forget where the wines came from except that they were on the table. :confused2:
I like to see step by step photos to see how other modelers do things and can I learn from them.
For corners I bought a length of aluminum angle. It must be used on the inside of the corner as the inside angle is slightly rounded. I've yet to cut some of the angle out to make it easier to glue.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1257 on: April 01, 2017, 06:47:02 AM »
They work well when you are building a full kit, I have found them less than useful when there is half a wall missing, as you will see in the coming days & weeks... there has been a lot of kit chopping going on.  I keep forgetting that you can use them to assemble the parts dry... get them square, then add the glue in behind.... I keep gluing up the corners and then trying to hold them together while fitting the magnetic corners  :doh:
I must get some.  They look very useful. :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1258 on: April 01, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
You can't beat a table wine with good legs :)

Pressing on with the track to the distillery now, slowly but surely - cork underlay for the two holding sidings down

One thing I have liked about the layouts on the forum is the pictures of trains at stations, any of which my layout is still sadly lacking, so I started trying to address that at Tullibardine, it won't be a very long platform, more a halt - tried using some card to get the curve I need

Once I had done the culvert outflow, I wondered "where would the water be coming from?" - so I started to put something on the other side - it meant digging a hole in the plaster to create a flow path, I am hoping that won't look too odd

Its not very obvious in the 1st pic, but where I had outcrops of brown & the flock has not stuck, I picked them out in a stoney grey to reflect a bit geology

Some more rock work attempts and I notice the culvert is in need of a bit of attention, the paint has not taken too well

Planted some more trees in the gorge, the bridge maintenance team are going to have their work cut out on that troublesome one that has taken root in the mortar

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1259 on: April 01, 2017, 07:25:44 AM »
Looking very good.
It'll be good to see a station on the layout Andrew.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal