!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society  (Read 206724 times)

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #1095 on: February 07, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
An excellent thread, Andrew.  Incidentally, I have posted a picture of A4s on Chris's website.  Would you like me to post it here instead?  Also, I can't now find any reference to A4s without streamlining, but I'm sure I remember, in my later Ian Allens, seeing a few which were rebuilt, still as Class A4 but without the streamlining.  They looked just like A2s.

Laurence,

Perhaps what you saw was a gresley P2. A 2-8-2 locomotive, some of these were built with front end streamlining that resembled that on the A4. These were rebuilt b Thomson into A2/2 Pacifics.

Without wishing to hi-jack this thread....

P2 :

http://www.cockothenorth.co.uk/train/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Nos-2001-was-also-changed-to-a-wedge-front-end-when-in-fro-general-repairs-30-9-37-to-14-9-38-2.jpg

and A2/2:

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/0001-j-payne-60501-full.jpg

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1096 on: February 07, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
No worries, a good LNER discussion is fine with me & the members of the PRPS :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1097 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:28 AM »
Although passengers and coaches are still being confirmed (especially the portion from S. Cornwall) for the Cornwall-Perthshire special train hauled by BR Standard Class 5MT 4-6-0 73068 'The Green Dragon', at present, the BR SR Green formation is: loco., SR CCT, BCK, FK, RFO, RMB, SK, BSK. (All are BR Standard coaches.)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1098 on: February 08, 2017, 06:24:07 AM »
Not much to report on the scenics today, but a new arrival to the PRPS - 27203, one of the illustrious fleet that ran the Edinburgh - Glasgow push pull expresses

Seen here with fellow class member 27008.

Both loco's have the blue star wiring and other modifications fitted for the E-G work, so the hope is that a working set of this iconic central belt operation can be assembled

Here is an idea of where the fictional line I described earlier fits in

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1099 on: February 08, 2017, 07:02:48 AM »
Thanks for the photos. and the map (not being very knowledgeable about Scottish railways it was very useful to see the locality). I remember seeing some Class 27s in Scotland and it's good to see some preserved in Perthshire. I also hope that enough coaching stock can be preserved  to run a representative Edinburgh - Glasgow push-pull express.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1100 on: February 08, 2017, 07:23:25 AM »
Thanks Chris - I need to take a look at what Mk2 stock I currently have... but as "luck" would have it, in the new GF catalogue, the 4 TSO's, FK & BSO in Blue Grey needed are shown - would need to add some Inter-city transfers, but hopes are high that this will be very possible in the near future :)

Steamie+

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1101 on: February 08, 2017, 07:26:30 AM »
Great photo of  good looking Loco and the map is brilliant.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #1102 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »
The more the merrier, though you make a good point!  I will need the help of others with that query about when the year will be, you are correct though, the bash is mine :)

The Crieff Branch was closed to traffic on the 6th July 1964, and it was at that point the PRPS came into existence, a joint undertaking by keen railway enthusiasts from the Blackford Refinery & the Tullibardine Distillery ... so we can consider the late 60's as very feasible  .. .though the original premise was a gathering of restored A4's... so that would put it into the more modern era....  I am sure there could be another reason why a multitude of A4's got sent up the branch line (Perth did have a good allocation of them) .... maybe a conference of railway chief engineers at the Crieff Hydro .... :)

Again, I hope this isn't coming across as negative, that certainly isn't the intention. However, Perth didn't have any A4s allocated during their time operating on the Aberdeen - Glasgow service. The main sheds were Ferryhill and St Rollox although they were stored initially at St Margarets prior to moving on to the former locations.

Perth being "half-way", however, could be found to have a number on layover for servicing and fuelling, and so there's no reason an A4 couldn't be found doing a filling in turn .

Hope that helps.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1103 on: February 08, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »
Very helpful - one of the downsides of creating an alternaitive reality is that you lose track of which one you are in :)   I was sure I had read that there were A4's allocated to Perth, but happy to be corrected on that.

So the story will go that he used his sway to bring available A4's at Perth to the branch rather there being any allocated there.

...oh what a tangled web we weave ......... :)

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #1104 on: February 08, 2017, 08:04:31 PM »
.....and in later years the line from Crieff was extended to Locheaenhead to connect to the line to Oban

Dramatic viaduct included, pity it was not a success as it closed well before Beeching!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1105 on: February 08, 2017, 08:16:41 PM »
Don't forget also John Cameron who, in July 1966, purchased A4 60009 "Union of South Africa" and preserved it on the now-defunct Lochty Private Railway in Fife, Scotland, travelling the 1.5 miles (2.4 km) of track near Anstruther. (Cameron later became the Chairman of ScotRail and a member of the British Railways Board from 1990 to 1996. He is the President of the Gresley Society.)

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #1106 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »
Chris

I have a distant memory as a child of travelling on this short preserved railway behind the A4. My uncle had just bought a farm in Fife and I went there with him and my father. I do remember it being an odd set up!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1107 on: February 08, 2017, 08:58:20 PM »
Don't forget also John Cameron who, in July 1966, purchased A4 60009 "Union of South Africa" and preserved it on the now-defunct Lochty Private Railway in Fife, Scotland, travelling the 1.5 miles (2.4 km) of track near Anstruther. (Cameron later became the Chairman of ScotRail and a member of the British Railways Board from 1990 to 1996. He is the President of the Gresley Society.)

It is widely rumoured that Mr Cameron will be attending the gathering  :beers:  though the loco he has his eye on purchasing is still undergoing maintenance work in Dumfries & Galloway

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1108 on: February 09, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
I started to put down the flock in the gorge and played around with the backscene "art"work a bit more, addidng some tree trunks and more graduation - I tried to complete the tree on the right hand side, the top was showing on the original photo backscene, I was quite pleased with how it came out

Once that had dried (does not take long in the heat of the van) and the loose flock lifted, I applied the Modellwasser liquid to the river bed - there was a good tutorial on youtube, its not unlike thin PVA

I "planted" my first tree :)  and added some foliage to break up the line between wall and layout a bit while the modellwasser slowly dries

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1109 on: February 09, 2017, 06:30:23 AM »
The back scene merges quite beautifully with the gorge :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com