!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for MSW/LNER EM1  (Read 21945 times)

Offline 7P5F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14536
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for MSW/LNER EM1
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
I wonder how many preorders would make this project viable?

Ray.

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »
If I could get 500, I'd underwrite the rest myself.

I'll start the ball rolling with 10 (minimum)
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline 7P5F

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »
Thanks Dave,you could put me down for a boxed set to get the ball rolling.

Ray.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2015, 12:01:17 PM »
My initial commitment would be two. Possibly more subsequently.

Should people have the opportunity to "vote" here for their number/livery variant here? (It would be my suggestion but I don't want to hijack someone else's topic).

If this should be expanded to other media I think there would be need to ask people to vote in one place only...

Roy

Offline 7P5F

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
Good idea,i have just posted on facebook a message to see if we can more interest with a link to this topic.
        Here`s hoping,
                 Ray.

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »
Hi Roy,

good question and one i'll answer frankly.
I truly believe that too many livery / number options will dilute this project and confuse things.
After all, this would be a project where we all think wont 'fly' as huge sales, and the more i offer, the more the factory will want due to smaller runs, and this then has to put the price up accordingly to cover costs as best as possible.

Therefore i'd be tempted to keep things at 4 green and 4 blue with associated pipe differences to start with.
Tommy, and named ones can come later.

Cheers
Dave
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline 7P5F

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 12:31:20 PM »
My personal choice would be the boxed set in BR black with early emblem but BR green with one as Triton would be ok as well.

Ray.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »
Hi Roy,

I truly believe that too many livery / number options will dilute this project and confuse things.
After all, this would be a project where we all think wont 'fly' as huge sales, and the more i offer, the more the factory will want due to smaller runs, and this then has to put the price up accordingly to cover costs as best as possible.

Therefore i'd be tempted to keep things at 4 green and 4 blue with associated pipe differences to start with.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

Great to see you/DJM engaging in this discussion.

I see your point completely based on the premise that this would be marginal as a proposition overall. I suspect the green and blue liveries would probably be the most popular anyway personally. I would be happy to go for two green with different running numbers in the scenario.

But Could be some of the "Rule 1" modellers purchasing decision/criteria may defy that general logic - for them a black one and/or "namer" may tempt a purchase where the "cooking" ones might not!

So, how can Dave gauge the level of interest with any semblance of accuracy? Is it time to create some voting buttons here?

Roy

Offline 7P5F

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2015, 12:42:47 PM »
Hi Roy,

Cheers
Dave

:thankyousign:

Hi Dave,totally agree.

Ray.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »

Hello all,

Good luck with this project.

I'd be a strictly "rule 1" purchaser but definitely in for either single loco or twin pack, whatever format is eventually decided on, and while I'd prefer blue (and ideally weathered) a different livery wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Ben Line 457

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
For me personally I keep thinking that a blue, black or green non-jumper fitted EM1, painted in every detail apart from its number.
They could be supplied with a one off sheet of decals covering a broad selection of desirable locos in each livery - some namers, some with bagpipes some without etc., An accessory pack with jumper cables and a simple etch drill guide to get the positioning right and all - or most bases covered.
My own 'favourite' Vo has to be be 76 022 in Blue (the one that ran with the Lion & dartboard rather than BR arrows) and whilst I would love to see this RTR, I would rather have another Blue one that I could renumber than no EM1's at all.

I seem to remember Dapol doing a plain large logo 73 a while back which had decal numbers as an accessory - but I've no idea if it sold well or not? and more to the point whilst I think its a good idea I'm not certain how others will view it?

Online xm607

• N Gauge Society Number: 5813
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2015, 03:52:45 PM »
Here's one that's been done some time ago!

http://www.simplytrains.com/pages/layouts/brookside/brookside.htm

Steve.

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
I think the idea of having no set number / name on and a set of names and numbers on a sheet is a good idea.

That then could keep the costs down as Dave says the less runs different runs the lower the cost as the runs will be larger.

As an aside thought to it, especially for you Dave would it be worth approaching Heijan for the CADs? I know from earlier in the thread there were some faults with the design in OO gauge but would the CADs not give a good starting point to work from and make corrections from?

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2015, 04:36:55 PM »
If I could get 500, I'd underwrite the rest myself.

I'll start the ball rolling with 10 (minimum)

Hi

Ok I would replace my twelve and maybe add a few more but they would need to be accurate models for me to do this.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »
For me personally I keep thinking that a blue, black or green non-jumper fitted EM1, painted in every detail apart from its number.
They could be supplied with a one off sheet of decals covering a broad selection of desirable locos in each livery - some namers, some with bagpipes some without etc., An accessory pack with jumper cables and a simple etch drill guide to get the positioning right and all - or most bases covered.
My own 'favourite' Vo has to be be 76 022 in Blue (the one that ran with the Lion & dartboard rather than BR arrows) and whilst I would love to see this RTR, I would rather have another Blue one that I could renumber than no EM1's at all.

I seem to remember Dapol doing a plain large logo 73 a while back which had decal numbers as an accessory - but I've no idea if it sold well or not? and more to the point whilst I think its a good idea I'm not certain how others will view it?

Hi

Minor point 76022 was dual braked not vacuum only.

Jumper cables fitted by modellers that won't catch on  :D bear in mind that the front handrails are also different on the MU fitted locos.

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:41:29 PM by PaulCheffus »
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations