!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for MSW/LNER EM1  (Read 22787 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for MSW/LNER EM1
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2015, 07:25:51 AM »
Like i said, its not worth announcing yet though as i am fully aware others could , unfortunately, step in and produce this model before i am ready. Them's the breaks.  :scowl:

History would appear to be on your side though... in however many years N gauge has been about, nobody's made an EM1 or EM2 in ready-to-run format, and two "big boys" of the business seem to be pretty adamant that even widespread, still-in-service AC electrics don't sell, let alone DC electrics that ran on one small line that closed more than 30 years ago!

In any event, will definitely want one, purely a Rule#1 purchase, as I don't think BR blue EM1s ever ran much on the Western Region during the diesel hydraulic era...

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline robert shrives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2015, 08:49:02 AM »
Hi ,
I watched the last few years of EM1 opearation and saw EM2 in Holland once, plus Barrow Hill -all good times.

Height also increased at level crossings- fun to watch patnograph stretch up heading to road crossing beyond Hadfield.

Mertz and Mcellan Civil engineers had in a previous incaranation produced bound reports of LNE electrification to London and my sister as the librarian had access to these and just once I was allowed a look. Little pen drawings of suggested formations with EM2 and articulated  stock stick in my mind for london Newcastle expresses!  Also emus with sliding doors for suburban trains, WW11 prevented these plans but do allow for some What if sort of plans .  EM2 in green with carmine and cream Gresley stock changing traction say at Newcastle for steam or diesel. perhaps a 2-8-2 P2 or a green "LMS twin" in a BR green livery and numbered highly as the then standard BR diesel for all traffic, sorry no Deltics- well may be later...
Dave if you do get to go then brilliant!
Robert

Online Mark

• N Gauge Society Number: 19659
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
It's a little known fact that EM1s were regular visitors to the Southern Region in 60s / 70s.  I'll definitely have one - a twin pack with a dummy if it transpires.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2015, 05:19:53 PM »
Count me in... I have a small slush fund available for anything which ran in BR blue.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
May your slush fund never melt, Squiddy ;)

Offline nharding99

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »
I'd go for a green single or twin pack

Offline Arthur

• N Gauge Society Number: 22957
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2016, 05:42:25 PM »
Would happily support a couple of green or black ones under rule 1.

Offline xm607

• N Gauge Society Number: 5813
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2016, 02:47:44 AM »
Hi ,
I watched the last few years of EM1 opearation and saw EM2 in Holland once, plus Barrow Hill -all good times.

Height also increased at level crossings- fun to watch patnograph stretch up heading to road crossing beyond Hadfield.

Mertz and Mcellan Civil engineers had in a previous incaranation produced bound reports of LNE electrification to London and my sister as the librarian had access to these and just once I was allowed a look. Little pen drawings of suggested formations with EM2 and articulated  stock stick in my mind for london Newcastle expresses!  Also emus with sliding doors for suburban trains, WW11 prevented these plans but do allow for some What if sort of plans .  EM2 in green with carmine and cream Gresley stock changing traction say at Newcastle for steam or diesel. perhaps a 2-8-2 P2 or a green "LMS twin" in a BR green livery and numbered highly as the then standard BR diesel for all traffic, sorry no Deltics- well may be later...
Dave if you do get to go then brilliant!
Robert
According to HMRS LNER Loco book 10b the first EM2 idea's were a
4-6-4 loco which could have been based upon the NER EE1 Express loco no.13.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:49:04 AM by Sprintex, Reason: Advertising items for sale outside of the N\'porium not allowed. »

Offline NS400R

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2016, 09:11:44 PM »
Hi mate,

No I wouldn't ask anyone else for their cad cams as to put right what's wrong, would be more time consuming than starting from scratch.

The only person I would ask for help from would be Charlie Petty.
He's the guru with the woodhead electrics in my humble.

Cheers
Dave

You're better off having a chat with Mike Edge.  He really does know his stuff.  He made the master for Charlie's kit and whilst that kit is not particularly good, it is an early model.  Mike's moved on massively since then.  He also has CAD drawings for a proposed kit.

Offline NS400R

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2016, 09:16:01 PM »
FYI, the Heljan 4mm EM1 has severe issues with the window proportions and spacing.

I'm not sure that's true.  Their EM1 has cab side windows that are 1mm too low but the fundamental shape seems ok.  Surprisingly, the positioning issue isn't too noticeable in the flesh.  More noticeable is the incorrect roof profile - too shallow, excessive bogie gap and abysmal pantographs.

Their EM2 has severe issues with window proportions and spacing.  It looks nothing like an EM2.  Quite how they managed that when they had Tri-ang's 1960 masterpiece as a reference is beyond me and others.

Offline NS400R

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just to give you an update on this possible project. However before i start, please note nothing is concrete on this yet, but i want to do it as an altruistic loco development, knowing that i probably wont make money back.
Also i am not formally announcing it until i feel im ready

Here's the update,
1) Some drawings collected and sent to China
2) Quotes from China for this model in powered and un-powered and twin packs with me currently
3) matrix being collated for every member of the class, in every livery variation, not just black, green and blue.
4) Matrix will include ALL versions of EM1, including alternate sides, ends, roof equipment, cab roofs, sand boxes etc
5) Full photo survey of Cab at Manchester Science museum complete
6) Full survey of Cab side at barrow hill including window sizes, and relationship to each other and handrails etc, complete
7) Full Survey of 26020 at York comprising complete check measurements and over 520 high resolution photographs, complete
8) Talks taken place for MSW masts in metal and wires from third party manufacturer on going.

All that remains is to find the cash, which, as my plans are based on 2 years, wont be for at least 2/3 years unless things turn around quickly for this project to speed up.

Like i said, its not worth announcing yet though as i am fully aware others could , unfortunately, step in and produce this model before i am ready. Them's the breaks.  :scowl:
Cheers
Dave

If you would like some close ups of the roof and associated electrical equipment for the NRM machine, feel free to ask.  Many years ago, my father & I were granted access to the EM1 with ladders provided to photograph the roof.  One of the flaws with the Heljan model came about because they couldn't get access to the roof.  As a result, their model lacked much detail and the overall shape was wrong - partly because most published drawings are wrong too.

Offline DJM Dave

• DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »
I never saw the EM1's in anger im afraid.

However i did  see a line up through the fog at Wath one morning from a coach window on a 'saturday saver' from Banbury to York.

And on their first winter withdrawn and stored at Guide Bridge and Reddish, i got round both (with permission) and got the lot (of those remaining).
I'll never forget the sight at Reddish as i approached over the railway bridge and there were the grounded bodies and 2 line ups of EM1's.
Guide Bridge was done in the dark of night, again with permission, and i cabbed 73013 and took the traction motor lights out of it for a keepsake, that after 20 odd years weren't kept. lol

I've tried to document on my zenfolio site bits that are left or have, like reddish depot, been oblitorated.
It's amazing just how much tangible evidence of the railway is still there.
Cut off catenary bases, original catenary masts and droppers, tunnels, bridges, etc.

A wonderful railway with charismatic locomotives.
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline Vigo

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »
So. After 6 months or so of inaction, does anyone think there's any future in this idea?

I do hope so :headbutt:
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
I'd like to think so but unless Dave Jones is working on something in the background I just can't see anyone else producing a RTR version :'(
@DJM Dave

Offline DJM Dave

• DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »
My lips are sealed......but I will say this.....
By the Greek gods, eyebrows!

Those 'in the know' will know what I'm talking about. ;-)
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal