!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for Revolution Trains - a Bullied 4 Sub or maybe a 4 Vep  (Read 2750 times)

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for Revolution Trains - a Bullied 4 Sub or maybe a 4 Vep
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
The BR 4EPB's were 1957 stock, the BR 2EPB's were 1951 stock, whilst the early 2HAP's were 1951 stock tha majority were 1957 stock.

I was assuming BR-built stock throughout. There were plenty of BR-built 2-EPBs in the mid 50s,  5701-5779 (later numbered 416/2 and 416/4). The earlier 2-EPBs (416/1 and 416/3)were built to a Bulleid design and were not the units I had in mind.

Bulleid 2-EPB

BR 2-EPB

Apart from 5800, built to replace the 2EPB destroyed at Lewisham and disbanded in the early 60's, all 2EPB's, 5701-5779 and 5650-5684 were 1951 stock. All of the Bullied 4EPB's were also 1951 stock, but all of the BR 4EPB's were 1957 stock.

Dodger

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 09:53:58 PM »
No, the BR 2-EPBs (5701-5779) were built in 1955-56. They are built to the BR Mk1 coach profile and are quite different to the 1951 Bullied profile 2-EPB stock (5650-5684).
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline dodger

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 10:33:43 PM »
No, the BR 2-EPBs (5701-5779) were built in 1955-56. They are built to the BR Mk1 coach profile and are quite different to the 1951 Bullied profile 2-EPB stock (5650-5684).
I am aware of the differences between BR and SR (Bullied) designs of EMU.
Yes, 1951 and 1957 refer to the type of control gear fitted and not when the stock was actually built.

1951 stock utilise contactors to notch up the resistance bank where as the 1957 and subsequent 1963 and 1966 stock utilise oil vane motors  to operate a camshaft to switch the resistance bank. 

The 1951 stock has a motor generator set on battery on each motor coach. The 4 coach 1957 stock has only one unit with the motor generator set on one motor coach and the battery on the other motor coach. This results in differences in in the equipment cases on each motor coach as stated in my original post.

Additionally the 1951 stock has lighting conduits visible on the coach roof the same as previous Southern Railway stock. On the 1957 stock the lighting conduits are in the space between the ceiling and roof.

Dodger

Offline Mark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19659
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
This thread has been an interesting read.  I’d be really happy with just about any 3rd rail EMU that ran in the 60s or even late 50s and would certainly be very happy with a 4SUB, 2/4EPB or 4CIG.  Capt. Electra makes a persuasive argument for the latter from a Revolution standpoint.  Widely travelled and a broad selection of liveries and eras – I’d have thought it would sell well and Revolution’s crowdsourcing approach could well give it a chance. 

Every March I eagerly anticipate a Farish announcement of a 2 or 4EPB (or indeed anything to compliment the 4CEP) and every March it doesn’t materialise and these days I approach their annual announcements with considerably more hope than expectation.  They’ve always claimed the 4CEP was a very strong seller, but if they don’t announce one next year (and years of disappointment has long persuaded me not to hold my breath) I really hope someone out there grasps the nettle. 

Hopefully the B tank project will be sufficiently successful for you to be tempted to dip another toe into the early modern image era.

Mark 

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
Hopefully the B tank project will be sufficiently successful for you to be tempted to dip another toe into the early modern image era.

Mark

60s? Early modern image?! Crikey. I get grumpy when an exhibition advertises a modern image layout and it has anything blue and grey!

I'd have thought a VEP would be a better bet than an EPB/SUB, wider distribution, more liveries, but I think it'll still suffer the fact that southern region models are generally harder to come by, layouts are less common etc. I'd make a rule one purchase of a 442, but I wonder if the more 'utilitarian' models would be less popular. I know the landscape is changing, but I'm not convinced.

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 11:00:18 AM »
The BR Design EPB units would have great tooling potential to allow HAPs and 3H "Thumper" DEMUs to also appear.

There is the danger that Bachmann may already have shrunk down the CADs for their 4mm units to N and are just awaiting their opportunity...
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Mark

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »

60s? Early modern image?! Crikey. I get grumpy when an exhibition advertises a modern image layout and it has anything blue and grey!

[/quote]

Sorry for that njee20 … and take your point.  I was thinking of those days and weeks just after steam was withdrawn on the southern in July 67 and wasn’t quite sure what else to call it.  Nascent-post-transition seemed a little mealy-mouthed.

I’ve always felt the brave new world imagery of the term ‘modern image’ sits a little uncomfortably with the rather sad fin de siecle reality of the end of steam days and  tend to use it with a degree of mournful irony.

Mark

Offline Mark

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
The BR Design EPB units would have great tooling potential to allow HAPs and 3H "Thumper" DEMUs to also appear.

There is the danger that Bachmann may already have shrunk down the CADs for their 4mm units to N and are just awaiting their opportunity...

Very true .... but they have been awaiting it for an awfully long time.

Mark

Offline dodger

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »

Not forgetting the 4CEP chassis is very similar to the BR EPB/HAP units.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal