!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Speltenham Cha  (Read 11955 times)

Simondward

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Speltenham Cha
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2018, 02:22:54 PM »
Hello Again...thanks again for all the kind comments, even though that was nearly 2 years ago! Boy I take my time don't I?

Well a lot passes in 2 years, got a new career on track (yes bad pun intended) and started toying with several new layout ideas (Eastern Approach of Leeds station has great potential for a layout as well as Manchester Oxford Road) but It was not able to progress very far as I moved abroad and, well, anyone fancy the ordeal of sticking a half-finished layout inside a ton of bubblewrap and sending it via an International Freight Forwarder? Didn't think so...

So now I'm all settled in my new home (It has a detached outside room that is my layout room, how cool!) its time to think about a new build! Didn't want to model anything local (SNCF just doesn't do it for me) so I went back to some of my previous UK-Inspired ideas, ideally based around 4 car MUs...

Put together a baseboard of 8 foot by 3 which is all one piece, and started to play...I originally wanted to model Manningtree station and north junction on the GEML and after pinning down the track temporarily I decided that to be effective you need a much longer baseboard for the junction curves so I decided to look 1 stop further up the line to Ipswich...

Its ideal for the baseboard size, has a tunnel right by the southern station throat so a perfect scenic break, 4 through lines and a diesel refuelling depot + carriage sidings. Using some artistic licence I have decided to create a road overbridge at the county end (In reality the road goes under) and do away with the North-facing bay platform, thus creating a 3 platform station with 4 through lines. I will probably replace the refuelling depot with a single engineers siding but keep the carriage sidings, this is because there will be too much going on for my liking, less is more, and I'm concerned that it will look a bit unnecessary (like that stupid little salad garnish that comes with your rib-eye steak). Having a road overbridge means that the station building arrangements will have to different from real location Ipswich so I am looking to Dover Priory for some inspiration here, it has a similar track layout too.

Track plan and preliminary pics to come soon...x

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »
Excellent, Simon. Looking forward to progress. I used to know Ipswich station well in the days when it still had some of the last of BR's Class 03 shunters and agree that it's a great choice.

Simondward

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
 So here's a rough plan of what I want to happen...

Simondward

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2018, 08:57:26 PM »
And a few pics of the progress so far...

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2018, 10:33:06 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign: Excellent progress, looking good
     regards Derek.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2018, 08:29:06 AM »
What he said, coming on nicely.

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
Welcome Back!
Ipswich is a good choice and the layout is looking excellent already!
All the Best;
Philip

Simondward

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
Hi all!

Been up to a bit of creativity today; firstly after studying photos of the tunnel mouth at Ipswich station, in particular the catenary, I need double arm masts x2 before the gantries take over. Seeing as anything like this coming from dapol is probably far off I decided to make my own with a little dapol mashup:

Now the peco platform edges: I do like these; proper shape but the right colour is hard to get:

Pleased with the above; the lighting in photo didn't really serve proper justice but I'm happy with the years and years of weathering effect. It literally took 2 years to get them like this:

I bought them 2 years ago just after the loss of the water-soaked speltenham cha layout. They had 2 coats of medium grey acrylic, then weathered with umber powder and chalk. They were then used and glued and re-used and glued several times whilst I was toying with prototype layouts before I moved.

They then stayed in a bag for approx 6 months. Due to the heat (40c + in summer here) the paint cracked and gave a natural weathering. I then airbushed them twice with slightly too thin solutions of paint, first light grey and then a pale warm grey and left them to dry. The effect of having the paint a bit thin has given seamless mottling between various shades, giving the dark smudge mark in between each concrete struts that you see in stations, as it were.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2018, 07:27:58 PM »
Hi Simon,

All looking good and looking forward to your progress.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS. Googled Marguerittes and shame you no like the SNCF  :(. If I've got the right place Grezan looks like somewhere I could spend many a happy hour.

Simondward

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »
Hi Weave

Grezan is quite a size for a yard, in fact it's a working hump yard, something done away with in the UK for some time (there was one at Feltham I believe). There's also a wagon repair works there as well.

From a passenger point of view, apart from TGVs, I'm not keen on the looks of French trains. From a freight point of view loads of stuff - internal, cars, aggregates, fuel and the rakes are often mixed. Seen a few 66s there in EWS...

Simondward

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2018, 08:31:19 PM »
Oops I said internal - intermodal (my phone can't handle this word)

Simondward

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2018, 03:24:52 PM »
When it's a bit chilly it gives the perfect chance to do some building, something I can do indoors; my layout room has no heating yet as waiting for cavity wall filler and plaster board to be finished first.

First up is a disused lineside hut; as you may be able to tell I was feeling a bit cold still when I made it:

However after warming up I made a yard office building, with Windows and doors to keep the heat it as it were...

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £287.00
Above Goal: £232.00
Site Currency: GBP
522% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything